Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times

Advertisements

Mom Jailed For Sending Kids to Better School (http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/mom-jailed-for-sending-kids-to-better-school-23973624 - broken link)

Do you think that it is acceptable for a parent/parents to falsify residency to get their child into a better school district?

Where's the line between right and wrong?

What about the parent/parents who sacrificed to move to the better district and have to subsidize other children whose parent/parents are not sharing the cost burden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
No, I don't think it is right-most schools across the nation are supported by local tax dollars and if you are not a resident of that district you are not paying to support that school.

NOW, MN has statewide open enrollment so any student in any town can go to any school in the state as long as they have room for you. There is an application process and you do need to be approved. We have had this in place for almost 20 years and it works pretty well. Some districts are "full" and aren't accepting any out of district students but most are. A portion of your tax dollars follow you to the new school so you do "support" the new school that way.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:54 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
That mom was already using her 2 daughters living with her to get subsidized housing then she lies and says they live with her father to get them into a better school. She has too many hands in Uncle Sam's pockets.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Mom Jailed For Sending Kids to Better School (http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/mom-jailed-for-sending-kids-to-better-school-23973624 - broken link)

Do you think that it is acceptable for a parent/parents to falsify residency to get their child into a better school district?

What about the parent/parents who sacrificed to move to the better district and have to subsidize other children whose parent/parents are not sharing the cost burden?
Nope. Tax rates are higher in certain areas. I got myself a good job, moved to a nice area, and was able to send my kids to the school of our choice. It's not fair for someone who lives outside our area to bring their kid to whatever school they want.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
In Connecticut, some people are paying double or triple the amount of property taxes to live in a neighboring district that has better-performing schools. Parents make the decision to live in the more expensive communities based on the importance they place on their child's education. It is not without sacrifice and many families need to cut back in many other areas to make it happen.

Falsifying residency and sending your child to another district where you do not contribute to the tax base is fraud and theft of services. Fraud and stealing are crimes.

In my childhood hometown the falsification of residency became such a problem that between 1/5 and 1/3 of the students were estimated to be from out of the district. The taxes went through the roof and the long-time residents fled leaving the town and the schools to deteriorate. It now is one of the worst-performing districts in the state.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 01-26-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 03:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

It really doesn't matter whether anyone thinks it is ACCEPTABLE. In my state (FL) it is ILLEGAL no matter what you think of it. It's not a matter of right and wrong. It's a matter of legal vs illegal.

Orange County has the following statement on its student registration card:

"Florida statute 837.06 provides that whomever knowingly makes a false statement in writing with the intent to mislead a public servant in the performance of his official duty shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree. If you falsify your residence when enrolling your child, you will be referred to law enforcement for prosecution. The student will forfeit athletic and extracurricular eligibility for one (1) year from the date of discovery of the violation."

Nobody has the right to violate the law just so their special snowflake can go to a better school.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,554 times
Here it makes the news. People that are "outed" are sent a bill from the school district they duped for the entire time period their children attended the schools.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It really doesn't matter whether anyone thinks it is ACCEPTABLE. In my state (FL) it is ILLEGAL no matter what you think of it. It's not a matter of right and wrong. It's a matter of legal vs illegal.

Orange County has the following statement on its student registration card:

"Florida statute 837.06 provides that whomever knowingly makes a false statement in writing with the intent to mislead a public servant in the performance of his official duty shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree. If you falsify your residence when enrolling your child, you will be referred to law enforcement for prosecution. The student will forfeit athletic and extracurricular eligibility for one (1) year from the date of discovery of the violation."

Nobody has the right to violate the law just so their special snowflake can go to a better school.
I'm pretty sure it's illegal in MOST states. But, you lost me with your "special snowflake" remark. All parents should be able to count on a good public education for their child without having to jump through hoops or falsify information to get it.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm pretty sure it's illegal in MOST states. But, you lost me with your "special snowflake" remark. All parents should be able to count on a good public education for their child without having to jump through hoops or falsify information to get it.
I agree that parents should be able to count on a good public education. But the fact is that some public schools are better than others (my kids are in private schools) and it often costs more to live in areas with better public schools.

My special snowflake remark was meant to communicate that nobody's child is that special that they should be able to lie to be admitted to a better school than the one they are zoned to attend.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,575 times
No, it is not acceptable to do this. Not only are you teaching your children to lie, you are causing more of a problem to the system then helping to fix it. Move or get in there and do the best you can with what you have...or apply and get scholarship or work to pay for private or parochial school. Charter schools are also an option.
Life is not fair. Play the hand you get dealt and shuffle a bit to try and make it as good as possible.
Taben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education