Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Do you think it is acceptable to be forced to pay for a school via taxes that you would not want to send your child to?

When you answer that question truthfully and honestly then you will have the answer to the original question.
I actually think local taxes should not be used to fund districts at all. State taxes or county would be more equitable. I also think all schools in a county should be run by the same BOE and admission to one school over another be based on academics rather than locale.

And yes, even if you do not currently (or plan to ever) have children in the school district your county or state taxes should help pay the cost. I have never had to call the police or fire department in the 30 years I (or rather my parents) have lived in this town, should I get that money back too? Or if I couldn't drive should I get my portion of the taxes that goes to roads? Some things we pay into even if we do not use them as a function of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
the whole case is ridiculous. yes, what she did was wrong, but who here can't see her reasoning behind her actions? it can be a hopeless situation if the only area you can afford to live in has horrible, dangerous schools. granted, I'll play devil's advocate and ask why she and her kids couldn't live w/ her father.

I went to an exam school in Boston where it was common for parents to claim they lived in Boston so that their kids could enroll (one well known trick was to get a PO box from a place like Mailboxes Etc where the address looks like a regular residence address). in the early years, I'm sure a lot of my classmates who mysteriously disappeared where yanked from the school when they were found out

my biggest issue w/ this story is that this woman was sentenced to 5 YEARS in jail. 5 YEARS!! I swear, there are people who drove drunk and killed children, rapists, people who've assaulted others that are sentenced to less years than that! there are truly dangerous people being sentenced to less than that. it's ridiculous. community service would have been more than enough, considering a conviction has already bared her from teaching in the state, which is punishment enough, IMHO

Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is ridiculous.

The woman's father lived in the district and was paying taxes to that town. If they wanted to remove the children fine but to jail her is ridiculous. So now that shes in jail, the grandfather looks after the kids and they get to go to school there anyway? What was the point?

I could completely understand if no one in the family lived in the town, but their grandfather did. What if it their father had lived in the town instead should they have been allowed to attend then?
Do you believe in the rule of law?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:33 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
Quote:
And her father lives in town and pays taxes. My point remains, her family pays taxes into the school system and only has her two children in it.

She drives them 45 mins to get them to school? Good for her and her kids. I had a freshman whose parents couldn't be bothered to put a coat on her today.
It is very difficult to find all the facts related to this case as many of the written pieces are opinion pieces. However, it appears that it was not the children's father that lived in the district but the mother's father. He apparently was not their guardian.

This wouldn't have been an issue if she truly did live with her dad and not in government-subsidized housing in another district. Most likely her children would have still been eligible for free/reduced lunch and other assistance as she completed her education while working her current job. However, it is a slippery slope when we allow the ends to justify the means. There is a substantial amount of fraud related to government-supported programs and our multi-trillion dollar deficit is evidence of the gravity of the situation that we face as a nation.

The sentence is harsh. It appears that a plea to a lesser charge was suggested. I question why her attorney would allow her to put her self in a perilous situation?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
the whole case is ridiculous. yes, what she did was wrong, but who here can't see her reasoning behind her actions? it can be a hopeless situation if the only area you can afford to live in has horrible, dangerous schools. granted, I'll play devil's advocate and ask why she and her kids couldn't live w/ her father.

I went to an exam school in Boston where it was common for parents to claim they lived in Boston so that their kids could enroll (one well known trick was to get a PO box from a place like Mailboxes Etc where the address looks like a regular residence address). in the early years, I'm sure a lot of my classmates who mysteriously disappeared where yanked from the school when they were found out

my biggest issue w/ this story is that this woman was sentenced to 5 YEARS in jail. 5 YEARS!! I swear, there are people who drove drunk and killed children, rapists, people who've assaulted others that are sentenced to less years than that! there are truly dangerous people being sentenced to less than that. it's ridiculous. community service would have been more than enough, considering a conviction has already bared her from teaching in the state, which is punishment enough, IMHO
The sentence was reduced to 10 days, 3 years probation, and 80 hours of community service.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:37 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

She was sentenced to 10 days jail/80 hours service and has already been released. The ridiculous part is the $30,000 fine.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Do you believe in the rule of law?
Sure, especially as it applies here in the US, to the Constitution. Where the architects of the Constitution maintained that "an unjust law is no law at all", right?

And are we talking "law" here or statute, because I am almost positive there is no "law" governing residency and school attendance. There maybe statutes but those are not the same thing are they?

Either way I have no issue with her sending her children to a school as long as someone in her family pays taxes there. Besides, there is a fundamental "unjustness" IMO to the inequity of the current system. Instead of segregation based on race its now based on SES. So in terms of dissent, I am as for it as I am not moving my bus seat.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Sure, especially as it applies here in the US, to the Constitution. Where the architects of the Constitution maintained that "an unjust law is no law at all", right?

And are we talking "law" here or statute, because I am almost positive there is no "law" governing residency and school attendance. There maybe statutes but those are not the same thing are they?

Either way I have no issue with her sending her children to a school as long as someone in her family pays taxes there. Besides, there is a fundamental "unjustness" IMO to the inequity of the current system. Instead of segregation based on race its now based on SES. So in terms of dissent, I am as for it as I am not moving my bus seat.
Statute is another word for law

There is a law about lying to public officials in my state. I assume there are similar laws in the other states.

It doesn't matter what any of us think. If she broke the law she should have to pay the price. The original sentence was harsh. It's not a matter of opinion.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Statute is another word for law

There is a law about lying to public officials in my state. I assume there are similar laws in the other states.

It doesn't matter what any of us think. If she broke the law she should have to pay the price. The original sentence was harsh. It's not a matter of opinion.
Actually, statute and law are not interchangeable and in law have specific and different (albeit related) meanings.

And I would argue that the any law that is not constitutional or is just plain old, unjust is not one that needs to be obeyed. Makes me long for some political dissent just thinking about it.

And why isn't it a matter of opinion? Isn't opinion how statutes and laws change? No opinions allowed is scary indeed.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Actually, statute and law are not interchangeable and in law have specific and different (albeit related) meanings.

And I would argue that the any law that is not constitutional or is just plain old, unjust is not one that needs to be obeyed. Makes me long for some political dissent just thinking about it.

And why isn't it a matter of opinion? Isn't opinion how statutes and laws change? No opinions allowed is scary indeed.
You can have an opinion on whether a law is unjust. You can also have an opinion on whether a law should be changed. But the law is the law and until it is changed there should be consequences for breaking the law.

That's what I meant when I said it really isn't a matter of opinion and I should have written it more clearly. Sorry.

I don't think the law that makes it a crime to lie to public officials is old, unjust or unconstitutional though. You would have a really hard time convincing me of that.

EDITED TO ADD: A statute certainly is a law. It's a law enacted by the legislature.

http://govpubs.lib.umn.edu/guides/leg.phtml?faq=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education