Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am terribly sorry that you cannot seem to understand that the unjustness is not the lying to public officials issue. I know no other way to explain it to you. It is fundamentally unjust to segregate schools.

I suspect if you were there when Ms. Parks was arrested you would say "what is unjust about being arrested for not obeying the police". Oy vey.
If you want to get a law overturned you must prove that it is unjust. The law itself is not unjust. The state of the schools might be unjust, but the law itself is not.

This woman is no Rosa Parks. The laws Ms. Parks were protesting were indeed unjust laws. The law that forbids lying to public officials is not an unjust law.

The sentence is being imposed is being imposed for lying to public officials. Schools are not specifically part of that law which is very broad in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,513 times
Quote:
And her father lives in town and pays taxes. My point remains, her family pays taxes into the school system and only has her two children in it.

She drives them 45 mins to get them to school? Good for her and her kids. I had a freshman whose parents couldn't be bothered to put a coat on her today.
Wait a second... a freshman couldn't find a coat and put it on all by herself? Hmmm.

Also, what about teacher allocations? Schools can only employ a certain amount of teachers and that's based off of enrollment. If kids from other districts are attending schools they are not supposed to, then the recipient school is footing the bill for hiring extra teachers without having the tax base to back it up.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If you want to get a law overturned you must prove that it is unjust. The law itself is not unjust. The state of the schools might be unjust, but the law itself is not.

This woman is no Rosa Parks. The laws Ms. Parks were protesting were indeed unjust laws. The law that forbids lying to public officials is not an unjust law.

The sentence is being imposed is being imposed for lying to public officials. Schools are not specifically part of that law which is very broad in nature.
All of the laws this woman broke were predicated by the FACT that she was initially breaking the statute regarding residency and district attendance. That is the unjust law on which everything else follows. Ms. Parks was not arrested for breaking Jim Crow laws (since she was already in the colored section of the bus) but those were in fact the laws that predicated her arrest. Get it yet?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
If your answer is no, then why is it acceptable for me to pay for a school via taxes when I have no children?
Because those children will grow up and be contributors to the society in which you live. To NOT pay taxes to educate them would be a diservice to yourself.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM

53 posts, read 56,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I still don't think it's right, just think that parents should step back and think about what might cause a desperate parent to resort to such measures.
The father who robs or shoplifts from a convenience store is desperate. Should we look the other way? Of course not, and that's truely desperate.

You use the word desperate, but the truth be told, that mother is studying for an education degree. Even in the worst of schools, a parent has the option of sitting down with the children and teaching them above and beyond what education they are getting from the public school. She had the option of going above and beyond what education they were receiving at the school in their district.

She is concerned about her children being safe. She CHOSE to live in subsidized housing. She should address the safety concerns with the housing authority.

There is no 'desperation' here, but a desire for a better education for her children. She can contribute to that herself.
Quote:
This is ridiculous.

The woman's father lived in the district and was paying taxes to that town. If they wanted to remove the children fine but to jail her is ridiculous. So now that shes in jail, the grandfather looks after the kids and they get to go to school there anyway? What was the point?

I could completely understand if no one in the family lived in the town, but their grandfather did. What if it their father had lived in the town instead should they have been allowed to attend then?
By your reasoning, my kids should be able to attend any school where I have a living relative (cousin, sister, aunt)? Are you serious?

Do you have rules in your house? Maybe the kids do homework before TV or video games or computer? Do you have consequences for them if any of your house rules are broken?

Why do you have such a problem understanding that the woman KNEW THAT WHAT SHE WAS DOING WAS WRONG and did it anyway. Shouldn't there be any consequences? She refused to pay tuition, the most common way to send kids outside their district to school.

I believe the poster was correct that said the woman used her kids to live in subsidized housing, then used her father to get those kids into a different school district. It seems like she is playing the system for all it's worth to get the maximum benefits.

Quote:
The district gave her a bill because the issue here is MONEY, except her father pays taxes to the school district.

Again what if it had been the children's father in the town instead of grandfather. Would it have been okay then?
It doesn't matter where HER father lives, just as it doesn't matter where YOUR father lives when it comes to determining where kids go to school. It only matters WHERE THE KIDS LIVE.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Wait a second... a freshman couldn't find a coat and put it on all by herself? Hmmm.

Also, what about teacher allocations? Schools can only employ a certain amount of teachers and that's based off of enrollment. If kids from other districts are attending schools they are not supposed to, then the recipient school is footing the bill for hiring extra teachers without having the tax base to back it up.
Really? Teachers are fired or hired over two children whose family does pay taxes into the school district. Because at my school we have 30 more children than last year and we did not hire a new teacher.

Regardless, the idea of local taxes paying for school systems is fundamentally unjust as it results in segregation but since many people actually LIKE the segregation it isn't likely to change.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Because those children will grow up and be contributors to the society in which you live. To NOT pay taxes to educate them would be a diservice to yourself.
LOL!

The local tax system for funding schools is at odds to the statement above, you do realize that right?

It is to the betterment of society that schools are not segregated based on economics since that results in poor schools, and fewer opportunities for those who have even less to begin with. If it is about bettering society than a system that allows students to go to schools based on their actual talents rather than what town they live in is much more equitable. And that system should be funded by county, state or federal dollars to make it financially equitable as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I think it should not be necessary, since parents should be able to send to kids to whatever school they think best.
However, teaching your kids to cheat and lie is not acceptable.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakija9311 View Post
By your reasoning, my kids should be able to attend any school where I have a living relative (cousin, sister, aunt)? Are you serious?
Yes, very serious. The local taxes school district system results in segregation and needs to go. It is unjust and not working. But I do not think it should be based on where anyone lives but rather their own talents.

Quote:
Do you have rules in your house? Maybe the kids do homework before TV or video games or computer? Do you have consequences for them if any of your house rules are broken?
Your analogy is not apt. Any law that is unjust is no law at all, as stated by St. Augustine. I do not have arbitrary rules in my house nor in my classroom. Additionally, I encourage my child to challenge things that are unjust. Should the mother have done it in another forum? Sure, but as someone who abhors the unjustness of the district residency laws I applaud the conversation that is resulting from her actions.

Quote:
Why do you have such a problem understanding that the woman KNEW THAT WHAT SHE WAS DOING WAS WRONG and did it anyway. Shouldn't there be any consequences? She refused to pay tuition, the most common way to send kids outside their district to school.
I do not think she was wrong. I think her methods were wrong but not her actions. I am sorry that you do not understand the difference.

Quote:
I believe the poster was correct that said the woman used her kids to live in subsidized housing, then used her father to get those kids into a different school district. It seems like she is playing the system for all it's worth to get the maximum benefits.
Well you have no proof of that beyond your desire to vilify someone. She is not evil, no one is. If you honestly think her motivation was to "get over" instead of getting a better education for her children, I am truly sorry for you and your ability to judge people.

Quote:
It doesn't matter where HER father lives, just as it doesn't matter where YOUR father lives when it comes to determining where kids go to school. It only matters WHERE THE KIDS LIVE.
The basis of where her father lives is only relevant if you are arguing about the tax situation. If you are taking the authoritarian view I agree it is irrelevant.

But if you are taking the authoritarian view point I would still argue that the rule of law does not apply to unjust laws.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
Not all the facts of this story are being reported. The woman's father is facing separate fraud issues. The facts reported by most of the media largely ignores providing additional evidence to better understand the judge's ruling.

Ohio.com - Case against grandfather postponed (http://www.ohio.com/news/114514574.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education