Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:51 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella0712 View Post
hello,everyone!!

actually,I'm doing my research right now.
so I need your comments
and would you like to share your own opinions about this issure?
so ,what do you think of the differences in education between western countries&eastern countries????

and,if you could give some examples or sth you have experienced,that will be better.

waiting here,thank you~~~
You really need answers from people who have experienced both. I know what I think the differences are but that's from what I've read not personal experience.

I'm sure there's a lot of literature out there describing the two systems to use as a starting point.

Good luck.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:36 PM

305 posts, read 539,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
OCpaul,

Unbelievably in the US, the move over the past ten years has been toward uniformity and standardization and away from independent thinking, innovation and differentiation. Not only this a step backwards, but it is the wrong solution to the ills of US education. We can never out Asia the Asians or out Euro the Europeans. If we continue on this Obama-Clintonesque path, we will fail miserably. We have already done so, although are failure are masked by ample immigration and outsourcing which has decimated the middle class.

Rather ironic at how you're casting blame for this trend toward uniformity and standardization, when it's pretty clear that the primary force toward this rigidity was No Child Left Behind, which was not exactly an "Obama-Clintonesque path".

Old 02-13-2010, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,407 times
Hey that is a part of a paper of mine too. But I need actual sources, does anyone have a good link, website or source on the differences?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
It is interesting to read that you think your education is free. Do you mean free as in no money? Or do you mean free - as in open to all? You pay taxes, and all kinds of other levies to pay for the education you receive.

Unless you educate your kids at home, I should think that they will end up with a bunch of beliefs that you as a parent do not agree with at all, so in that respect you are paying a very high price for the education that your kids are receiving from society. Basically education is a training in how to live within the confines of the culture in which we live, and that appears to me to be the same here in China too. Making a good little citizen who does not rebel, does not question, and accepts all the standards and laws that may or may not be of benefit.

Particularly at the moment when it is looking as if more and more of our freedoms in the West are being withdrawn, education is a powerful weapon against the reduction of those freedoms or in perpetuating the restrictions.

So, what did you mean by your comment?
If you are born here you are entitled to go to school for free until the age 18. Once you get old enough to pay taxes, you pay. Part of the taxes cover education. Its not a pay up front system as other countries have.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If you are born here you are entitled to go to school for free until the age 18. Once you get old enough to pay taxes, you pay. Part of the taxes cover education. Its not a pay up front system as other countries have.

This thread is 4 1/2 years old. I imagine that the paper has been turned in by now.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM

9 posts, read 18,460 times
i know little about other Asian education, but no doubt that education in china is much more expensive than most of western countries, especially nowadays elementary and high school education, that so-called quality-oriented education, almost run out of the family's income.

Kid are so tired and stressed that they study day time in the school, however continue after school practicing extra skills in the club that training talents, ie piano, violin, drawing etc. Such training always are costly. But parents are never reluctantly to pay, they hold a view that "never failure before the starting line".

Most parents want their kids to educated in top schools, enter a top elimentary school means easy to enter a high school, vise versa, educated in a top high school, you can pass the entrance of a top college easier. Which is why top schools are always crowded with applicants, that leads somewhat corruption, ie who paid extra money (huge sum) or who have some ralationships with the principal may get a permission to the top school, even though the kids failed to pass the extance examination.

As far as I know , education opportunity in the western is fairer.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,515 times
This is what I think the biggest difference between Eastern and Western students is: hunger (and I'm not referring to food).

Indian students compete against each other on an epic scale and in their pursuit for perfection and top scores, they sacrifice many things (e.g. social life, sleep, etc). It is pretty much drilled into your head that, in order to reach the promised lands of the West, you have to excel in subjects such as computers, math, hard sciences, engineering, etc.

In America, we already live in an industrialized country and most of our parents have already "made it". Therefore, we don't have the fire that drives us like those students in India.

However, I feel that this is changing. My generation (21+) are not the stupid and lazy kids adults like to think. My generation probably has it as hard as those who grew up during the Great Depression (a bit of a stretch you may say but I disagree). Jobs are hard to come by and even with companies that have one position open, they have hundreds of candidates that are very similar to each other competing for that single job.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post

However, I feel that this is changing. My generation (21+) are not the stupid and lazy kids adults like to think. My generation probably has it as hard as those who grew up during the Great Depression (a bit of a stretch you may say but I disagree). Jobs are hard to come by and even with companies that have one position open, they have hundreds of candidates that are very similar to each other competing for that single job.
Whoa, dude. Unemployment during the Great Depression was 25%. We are at around 8%. There is really no comparison. People were in bread lines for food. (Some people are getting food help today, but no where near the numbers from the Great Depression).

Unemployment Today vs. the Great Depression - NYTimes.com

Stories from the Great Depression - YouTube

Old 02-29-2012, 01:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
My generation probably has it as hard as those who grew up during the Great Depression (a bit of a stretch you may say but I disagree).
Sorry. Times now, as bad as they are, are not even CLOSE to the dirt poor absolutely wretched poverty of the Great Depression.

If you can't find a member of the Greatest Generation to tell you what they went through read the book "Hard Times" by Studs Terkel.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:05 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,091 times
Quality High School education in U.S. is not cheap. The private school my kids attended now charge almost US$30,000 per year tuition.

Other than highly secured school compound with amenities like all-weather swimming pool and football field, the best things I like is the school does not only teach but nurtures the students.

For example, a student got Leukemia. The whole school prayed for her in the weekly assembly. The school even paid for the expenses for several student representatives to visit her when she was hospitalized in California. And after the student passed away, the school even established a scholarship under her name.

School should not serve the mere role of teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education