Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:46 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Actually that is a very good reason for keeping people WHO DO NOT NEED TO BE THERE out of the classroom. There are plenty of other good things to do that do not require you to be in the classroom. Do those instead.

Something is a little off here.

There is no state in this country where a true pocketknife would ever meet the grounds of a felony. Which statute was he convicted under?

So yes, if he was really convicted of a weapons felony, yes keep him out of school. This is exactly why a background checks are necessary. No one should just take someone's word for these things.

You do realize you are talking about CHOOSING to volunteer in the classroom. If you don't want a background check DON'T VOLUNTEER. Then nothing will be disclosed. But it is absolutely relevant to tell a teacher when a parent does not pass a background check because of a felony associated with a WEAPON.
Oh rubbish. It is not relevant AT ALL. They qualified it as a switchblade which is apparently illegal. He had no idea. I'm guessing you've never had any dealings with the LAPD.

I suppose it is relevant to a bunch of holier than thou busybodies, on second thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 05:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Shouting the word FELONS does not make someone who is no risk to the children suddenly some kind of scary boogity boogity monster that should be kept away.

There are not "plenty"of other volunteers in numerous districts. You have people who could make a real difference in some of the worse off districts that are being kept out for no good reason - the word felon does not necessarily define a whole person and I'm guessing there's a zero tolerance policy in place that doesn't allow for discretion on the part of the Principal.
Sorry but you personally do not get to decide whether or not other people's children have to be around someone convicted of a weapons felony at school. It isn't your call. And your example is a good one of why these rules are in place.

A weapons felony IS a big deal, it stops you from voting, it would prevent you from being a school employee, and it should prevent you from being a chaperone on a school trip, where you might be alone with children whose parents have no idea you a felon and are trusting the school.

Would you be more comfortable if the school sent home a permission slip asking parents if Mr. So and So, a convicted felon, can chaperone the upcoming class trip? I wouldn't.

To be honest, your down playing of a crime that resulted in felony weapons possession, is exactly why there should be zero tolerance and why there should be background checks for volunteers. There are natural consequences of committing a crime, and if not being able to chaperone a school trip to the museum is one of them, so be it. There are plenty of other ways your husband could help out at school if that is really what he wanted to do.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Oh rubbish. It is not relevant AT ALL. They qualified it as a switchblade which is apparently illegal. He had no idea. I'm guessing you've never had any dealings with the LAPD.

I suppose it is relevant to a bunch of holier than thou busybodies, on second thought.
See a switchblade is NOT a pocketknife. To me, and apparently, the legislature and the prosecutor there is a real distinction. And having known people in the LAPD, and knowing the real crime they deal with on a daily basis, especially 15 years ago during the gang crisis era, there are not going to facetiously make up a crime AND prosecute it. They had better things to do.

Actually, my take on it and yours, is exactly why there should be no discretion. Keep it simple, no felons in classrooms. If your husband wants to make a difference to the school, are you actually claiming there is nothing else he can do?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Sorry but you personally do not get to decide whether or not other people's children have to be around someone convicted of a weapons felony at school. It isn't your call. And your example is a good one of why these rules are in place.

A weapons felony IS a big deal, it stops you from voting, it would prevent you from being a school employee, and it should prevent you from being a chaperone on a school trip, where you might be alone with children whose parents have no idea you a felon and are trusting the school.

Would you be more comfortable if the school sent home a permission slip asking parents if Mr. So and So, a convicted felon, can chaperone the upcoming class trip? I wouldn't.

To be honest, your down playing of a crime that resulted in felony weapons possession, is exactly why there should be zero tolerance and why there should be background checks for volunteers. There are natural consequences of committing a crime, and if not being able to chaperone a school trip to the museum is one of them, so be it. There are plenty of other ways your husband could help out at school if that is really what he wanted to do.
He didn't commit any crime, per se.

And this is why this is ridiculous, here you've judged and juried my husband who's never hurt a fly and is a good man and a great father.

What I'm saying here is that as usual, there's no common sense application of this rule.

You've proved my point entirely.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
He didn't commit any crime, per se.
Per se?

Oddly, many see carrying a switchblade is against the law. Carrying it in school would be about the same level of crime, right? So what is to stop him from bringing it to school since he "carries it everywhere"?

Personally, I am glad my school doesn't allow people who carry switchblades around with them everywhere to chaperone students on field trips. Bully for you, that your school district doesn't care.

Quote:
And this is why this is ridiculous, here you've judged and juried my husband who's never hurt a fly and is a good man and a great father.
Maybe, maybe not. The point is, you have CHOSEN him. Not me. And as such I shouldn't have to have him chaperoning my kids anywhere.

Quote:
What I'm saying here is that as usual, there's no common sense application of this rule.

You've proved my point entirely.
And what if it was a gun that he carried everywhere, is that ok? If not, why not? If a gun is the line for you but a switchblade isn't, why not? And just because you chose you husband why should EVERYONE have to accept those same choices? I have the right as a parent to expect weapon carrying felons won't be chaperoning my children around during school trips.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I understand your point, but would like to point out that you over simplifying what volunteers sometimes do at schools. In all the years I helped at our school, I spent hours upon hours with the children. I was not in an empty classroom grading papers or exiled to the copy machine room while class was in session. Even with 4 other kids there...would you really want someone with a record supervising them?
Maybe the school could send home a permission slip asking parents if their child can be in the room with parents who have been convicted of felonies, no names given. If they all say yes, than the felon can volunteer in that class.

Quote:
I would like to think that it is the school protecting the children...and not necessarily themselves when they run background checks.
It is both.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Per se?

Oddly, many see carrying a switchblade is against the law. Carrying it in school would be about the same level of crime, right? So what is to stop him from bringing it to school since he "carries it everywhere"?

Personally, I am glad my school doesn't allow people who carry switchblades around with them everywhere to chaperone students on field trips. Bully for you, that your school district doesn't care.

Maybe, maybe not. The point is, you have CHOSEN him. Not me. And as such I shouldn't have to have him chaperoning my kids anywhere.

And what if it was a gun that he carried everywhere, is that ok? If not, why not? If a gun is the line for you but a switchblade isn't, why not? And just because you chose you husband why should EVERYONE have to accept those same choices? I have the right as a parent to expect weapon carrying felons won't be chaperoning my children around during school trips.
Oh don't be so overdramatic. He doesn't carry it into school, he knows the rules, and follows them.

He didn't have a gun, he's a trades person, it's a tool of the trade. He did have a mohawk, he was young, and the LAPD were looking for drugs, and when they didn't find any, went for what they could get.

And I'm sorry, but lol that you're making him out to be some kind of threat that I've picked. That's exactly why I'm against people prying into that which is none of their business.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:28 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Oh don't be so overdramatic. He doesn't carry it into school, he knows the rules, and follows them.

He didn't have a gun, he's a trades person, it's a tool of the trade. He did have a mohawk, he was young, and the LAPD were looking for drugs, and when they didn't find any, went for what they could get.

And I'm sorry, but lol that you're making him out to be some kind of threat that I've picked. That's exactly why I'm against people prying into that which is none of their business.
Sounds like totally bogus charges Finster. Your child should be able to see his/her parents volunteering along side all the others. I'm sorry this is an issue for you.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Sounds like totally bogus charges Finster. Your child should be able to see his/her parents volunteering along side all the others. I'm sorry this is an issue for you.
Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous. The LAPD 20 years ago were well known for that kind of railroading of people.

Regardless, there are schools here in Philly which really need all the parent volunteers they can get, especially in neighborhoods where there are a lot of residents with a misspent youth who would now make wonderful role models for the kids, and have kids of their own in the schools - and who are no more nefarious currently than your average bank teller in the suburbs.

I could be wrong, but aren't people convicted of crimes against children generally already not allowed within a certain distance of schools?

It's a shame there's no discretion allowed.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Actually it is my business if its my kids and a public school.

Why should anybody have to just take your word for it? What if the parent had been convicted of a sex crime? Should we just trust his wife that he was "railroaded"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education