Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And even at the time (watching the movie as an upper Midwestern high schooler myself), I was hard pressed to think of anybody where I was who talked that way. I think I just chalked it up to "probably a SoCal thing."

Where I grew up, (some) people might way "warsh" instead of wash, but they call Elton John "Elton," not "El-in."
Oh gosh, did that bring back memories of growing up in Ohio! I have many, many rural relatives who warsh up for supper. Note the word supper rather than dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, please. I'm a fifth-generation Daytonnian, who has lived or worked in communities ranging from Troy to Huber Heights to Oakwood to Centerville among every class of people. (I graduated from CHS and then attended UD.) We all pronounce it "Day-uhn" with a hard glottal stop at the hyphen.
My people are all from there, too! Troy, Tipp, Centerville (Cen-er-ville is how I mostly hear it) Huber Heights, etc. I've never heard the "T" in Dayton pronounced by anyone who lives there.

I notice that I pronounce "Continental" both ways

Old 01-14-2016, 10:59 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
The only time I've heard that sort of speech is by the developmentally disabled.

Where is this happening?
My son is developmentally disabled and he says his T's very well, thank you.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
As demonstrated throughout this thread, there are plenty of words in which the T is not enunciated in American English, but I think the OP is noticing it in words where it has not been common up until recently. Why is it happening? Who knows, but I find the changes fascinating. Language is definitely not static. It can and does change, sometimes very rapidly.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
Remember in the USA there are different ways of talking all over the country. There are regional accents and ways of talking.

If the T is going away, it is just a regional thing where you live, not around the USA as a whole.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Where I grew up, (some) people might way "warsh" instead of wash, but they call Elton John "Elton," not "El-in."
I still say warsh and the 1st president of the United States is pronounced Warshington.

I even knew a girl who would spell it that way.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,764,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have two children who are young adults, in college. My profession puts me in close contact with many people in that particular age group. I have not heard this.

Could it be a regionalism?
Not in Phoenix. As far as I'm concerned it is "ghetto" and "more ghetto". Spelling is deplorable as well. It is a regular race to the bottom in order to be cool.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:57 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Some British English accents/dialects have been doing this for a while. Now it's our turn!
America is way ahead of England in this silent campaign among the English-speaking world to abolish the true "t" sound. A lot of British dialects still enunciate t's as instructed in school.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:09 AM

6 posts, read 3,768 times
Well yeah it's becoming common here.. People most of the time miss "T" word when speaks. I think they really need to understand how to speak words clearly and pronounce them.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:40 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
As demonstrated throughout this thread, there are plenty of words in which the T is not enunciated in American English, but I think the OP is noticing it in words where it has not been common up until recently. Why is it happening? Who knows, but I find the changes fascinating. Language is definitely not static. It can and does change, sometimes very rapidly.
You are correct. I pay attention and started noticing it in the last few years ONLY for those words I cited in my
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
OP
It is just words where a 't' is doubled ( like get and put ) and the combinations with words like it or on. I hear it on the news and advertisements, so I doubt it's regional, but have no proof that it's not.

I haven't had the opportunity to visit OH since my dad died there in 2010. In any case, I can't remember noticing this speech trend for more than the last couple of years, but have noticed it MUCH more this year than last year.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad or good. I was just wondering if I was the only one noticing. Language morphs - especially English, the best and most flexible language in the world. There is a reason it's the universal language and it's not because the British colonized so much of the world. It's flexible, adaptable, ever changing and when you are visiting ANY foreign country, the BEST language to cuss in.

-o- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventure_of_English

-o- The Adventure Of English - 2003 BBC Documentary - Episode 1 - BBC Documentary

-o- The Adventure of English: The Biography of a Language - by Melvyn Bragg

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/adventure-of-english/

Addendum: Just saw a commercial for RotoClipper where the narrator says " ... just push the buh-un ..." instead of "just push the but-un ..." There was no 't' in that word - not even close. I don't think it's regional.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 01-15-2016 at 06:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education