Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 07:56 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
My PO carrier told me a few years ago to stop writing my envelopes in cursive because the younger crowd can't read them.
Yes the PO is automated but you still need a carrier that delivers that item to the mailbox and if they can't read it it goes back to the PO and into a pile to be "translated" so the carrier can deliver it the next day.

Now that may not be the case everywhere but it was for the town I lived in.

The scanner can't read them, more to the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Please, any literate adult can teach someone cursive. It is not some mysterious, hard to achieve skill that only officials teachers can teach.

I don't even believe that reading cursive really needs to be taught, per se.

It's not a different language, it's just a different font.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
If teaching cursive is so absurdly easy, why is it booted out of schools?

If three or four generations don't learn cursive, very few, if any, will be able to read the original founding documents. Then, they'll have to rely on Google to tell them what the documents say.

All those documents can be found online in a sans serif font.

Cursive is not a different language, it's just a different font.

What is slightly more daunting is learning archaic English grammar and vocabulary. Most modern people don't know that by "happiness" Jefferson actually meant eudomania. But his contemporaries knew that.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They don't seem to teach English. Look at the spelling, the poor punctuation, the bad grammar.

They don't know how to use a semi colon, they insert random commas whenever they feel like it, they stick an apostrophe into a word to form a plural, a lot of them can't form paragraphs.

They don't seem to learn history or civics. It's a dangerous situation and I fear that the few who do learn to write in cursive, who learn to use grammar so that their communications are intelligible, who know something about history and other related subjects, will be the ones who will be ruling and controlling the others at some point in the future. The semi educated, barely literate won't be well enough equipped to fight back.
I left teaching English about 15 years ago when they were still teaching cursive. It was very time consuming and the kids were not learning other skills. I would rather kids learn spelling, punctuation and grammar than cursive, especially since 99% of the time, people will be typing things these days or can write in print. I was instructed a long time ago to write addresses on letters in block.

It also takes much longer to grade papers written in cursive because the kids were usually not that good at it. I can read cursive fine, but the penmanship was awful. At that time, it was required for the kids to write in cursive. I just cringed...

Old 08-04-2020, 08:33 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't even believe that reading cursive really needs to be taught, per se.

It's not a different language, it's just a different font.
You are correct, it is not even something that needs to be "taught". A college Russian 101 class for example, spends about five class periods total teaching cursive and that is about it, the rest is OJT throughout the semester and beyond.

Likewise, when I was teaching ESOL to native Russian speakers, the cursive part was a few class periods, then they just learned it as they completed assignments.

So it really baffles me that a school cannot manage to find any time to teach this easy skill, and if so, how parents are not able to teach their kids this.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:23 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Kids should learn cursive but it should not occupy a big chunk of their time. When I was in elementary school in the early 1990s it seemed like 50% of some grade years, only to be reduced to needing only a signature. Mainly so they can read what it says and sign their name.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Apparently, Montessori teaches reading in cursive and you can buy their books.

Books-In-Cursive: Wild Flower Children Poems

Unlocking the Secrets of Hand Shadows: A Book to Read Aloud with Dad: Engaged Reader Books in Cursive Read and Do Series Book #2 (Volume 2) by Bridget Hughes (2015-09-19) Paperback – January 1, 1832

Many Pennies: A Book to Read Aloud with Mom: Engaged Reader Books in Cursive "Read and Do" Series Book #1 (Volume 1) 1st Edition

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse Hardcover – Illustrated, October 22, 2019

These can be difficult to find, but they are around.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:10 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
What exactly do teachers do to earn their full time salaries and obscene benefit packages for their part-time jobs?

American education is in a sorry state: of the "Three R's" only one of them starts with an "R" and The Big Ten consists of 12 schools. ...????

If you can't write & read hand-writing, what will you do when the SHTF?
"Oh look, a thread in the Education forum! What a perfect opportunity for me to go off on a rant that has nothing to do with the actual subject of the thread!"

My wife is a kindergarten teacher. She works* longer hours than do I, and I work more than forty hours per week.

I said 'works'; I didn't say 'gets paid for'. It might occur to you to appreciate a public servant who does pro bono work, for which you receive the benefit of said work without having to serve up taxes to that end. But I suppose that's beyond you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
If teaching cursive is so absurdly easy, why is it booted out of schools?

If three or four generations don't learn cursive, very few, if any, will be able to read the original founding documents. Then, they'll have to rely on Google to tell them what the documents say.
Yes. So?

You do know that the photos you see of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are by definition reproductions, right? In fact, the un-enhanced Declaration of Independence is barely readable at all due to folds and faded inks, as well as to damage done to the original during the John Quincy Adams administration when copperplate copies of it were made.

Do you really think that matters?

Hint: it doesn't.

Quote:
The scanner can't read them, more to the point.
Correct.

It's pretty easy to figure out 'Elm Street' from 'Washington Boulevard' even if one doesn't know cursive. And the numbers are all the same.

It's the machines that sort the letters into the order in which they're delivered that has problems with cursive.

Last edited by 2x3x29x41; 08-09-2020 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-09-2020, 03:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Great response. Right to the point.

A full time job is 2000 hrs/yr, minimum...Teaches work 1100 maximum. Defend your position.
The Truth about teacher work hours

https://www.weareteachers.com/teacher-overtime/

Quote:
Hours of Instruction in the Classroom: 1,170
Hours on Classroom Prep, Planning, etc.: 450
Hours of Grading Outside of the Classroom: 300
Hours of Planning Outside of the Classroom: 140
Hours Spent on Summer PD: 100
Hours Spent on Email and Other Communication: 40
Quote:
Our grand total is 2,200 hours, or 42 hours a week, working year-round.
https://edtechmagazine.com/k12/artic...-actually-work

New Measures of Teachers’ Work Hours and Implications for Wage Comparisons

https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi...2/EDFP_a_00133

Old 08-09-2020, 04:06 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
My niece and nephew didn't learn cursive in school until 5th grade, but at least they did learn.

It's a useful skill, no different from addition or constructing a sentence. I can't imagine not knowing how - it takes me twice as long to print a legible sentence as it does to write it in cursive.

Quote:
A full time job is 2000 hrs/yr, minimum...Teaches work 1100 maximum.
That's how many hours school is in session. Teachers work a lot more than the hours they spend in the classroom.

Quote:
What is slightly more daunting is learning archaic English grammar and vocabulary. Most modern people don't know that by "happiness" Jefferson actually meant eudomania. But his contemporaries knew that.
The word Jefferson actually meant is "eudaimonia" or "human flourishing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education