Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 05:16 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Even if the teacher's request is legitimate, how does moving somebody who belongs in an honors class into a regular class good for anybody involved? Especially where the student will be bored out of his/her mind in a regular class, and will no longer have any incentive at all to behave. And, why do you defend a punishment that only affects high achieving students, while allowing average and below average students to get away with anything they want?

Sounds like we agree there.

Yes, I do mean a physical attack.

No, I did not ever physically threaten a teacher!

Yes, I did have a teacher physically attack me. I thought I posted about it in the past. It was in 12th grade, AP Chem. Another student told the teacher that I had Tourette's syndrome (which was not true; I never had Tourette's, but it was erroneously on my medical record). I then said that I do not have Tourette's and never had it. The teacher then grabbed me and pushed me into my seat, and started cursing at me, and telling me that I will never be able to graduate from college. Since I had erroneously thought that my medical record had been corrected, I told him that I do not have and never had Tourette's, and that if he does not believe me, to go to the office and check my medical record, and he will see that I never had Tourette's. He said that he will check my medical record as soon as class was over. Unfortunately, my medical record had not been corrected, so I basically sealed my own coffin.

Depends on how bad the corporal punishment is vs what the other alternatives were. Was the punishment intended to injure the student, or just humiliate him/her? I would have rather have had corporal punishment that didn't cause any injury compared to being kicked out of honors and AP classes and extra-curricular activities.
The corporal punishment was not intended to injure, just inflict some discomfort as a consequence for bad behavior. The guys who I know who prefered it said they liked the fact that it was over quickly rather than being drawn out like detention (or having additional repercussions like your example).

That Tourette's syndrome incident is pretty bad. I think you did post about it earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 06:31 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The corporal punishment was not intended to injure, just inflict some discomfort as a consequence for bad behavior. The guys who I know who prefered it said they liked the fact that it was over quickly rather than being drawn out like detention (or having additional repercussions like your example).

That makes sense.

Quote:
That Tourette's syndrome incident is pretty bad. I think you did post about it earlier.

So you agree that those two teachers were abusive?

Old 03-08-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
That makes sense.

So you agree that those two teachers were abusive?
It seems they abused their power. Not sure whether they were abusive in the traditional sense of the word but they could have been. They were certainly unprofessional and behaved inappropriately.

On the other topic, do you think you would have preferred a quick paddling to ISS or a string of detentions?

Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It seems they abused their power. Not sure whether they were abusive in the traditional sense of the word but they could have been. They were certainly unprofessional and behaved inappropriately.

On the other topic, do you think you would have preferred a quick paddling to ISS or a string of detentions?
As long as the paddling didn't cause injury and had no other repercussions attached to it, I probably would have preferred it over a string of detentions.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:29 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
From about third grade, I never went to school without a jackknife. My dad had a switch-blade in his fishing tackle box, sometimes I took that. In h igh school art class, sometimes we'd be sent outside on nice days to sketch, and we'd go fishing instead.

My mom gave me some pills to take to school a few time. Aspirin, or something.

On cold snowy days, sometimes I'd take my lunch to school in a paper bag. Who knows what felonious stuff was in there. There were no metal detectors in the 1940s, nothing going on but WWII, which ended when I was in second grade.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
we made ceramic guns in art class. Everything was fine until someone held up a liquor store with one. So we had to turn them in. It was my first and only gun buy back. And we didn’t get anything.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:29 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Like most people around my age I carried a pocket knife almost every day. Sometimes had firearms in the trunk of the car or behind the seat of the truck in the parking lot. We called each other names that we'd never get away with today. Some of my buddies made throwing stars and crossbows in shop class.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
As long as the paddling didn't cause injury and had no other repercussions attached to it, I probably would have preferred it over a string of detentions.
Interesting. I'm a little surprised by your answer. I would have imagined that you'd firmly oppose getting hit.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I'm a little surprised by your answer. I would have imagined that you'd firmly oppose getting hit.
I do firmly oppose corporal punishment, since I feel it is hypocritical. However, if I had to choose between minor corporal punishment vs disqualification from honors and AP classes, I would have taken the corporal punishment.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:33 PM

506 posts, read 510,693 times
Carrying a pocketknife, talking about God, sex, religion. Even kissing and holding hands with members of the opposite sex, hugging.

Asking the teacher if she believes in God and her replying with a quick yes.

I even remember students driving pick-up trucks with their hunting rifles on the rack in the back windshield, and no one made a fuss (grew up in the South).

There were even kids who got into fights, and no one got expelled. Some even had the "coaches" (male teachers) who settled it right there, saying "I want you boys to shake hands!" Sometimes the kids got detention for fighting, but after so many detentions, they got suspended. Never once I saw the person who didn't start it got expelled or suspended.

I remember prayer meetings around the flagpole. I remember "Let's all have 5 minutes of silence for those five kids who were killed in an automobile accident."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education