Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 02:15 PM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The 70s were a great time to grow up in a lot of ways. Society was much less uptight then, and less afraid of everything. We could have a lot more fun.

How did you go from playing hooky regularly to feeling guilty over taking a sick day? Somebody messed with your head...
Even in 1972 we got a perfect attendance bonus. My parents wouldn’t call me in sick for the day before Presidents Day when we were already on a plane because we were having other problems with the school. That cost me my bonus in English. Teacher hated me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 01:52 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times
10th grade year (late 80s), I got about 2 months of after-school suspension because I'd been skipping school. I missed so much school in the 10th grade that if I had missed one more day, I'd have been held back. My brother -- who was a senior -- was skipping, too. (We'd usually skip together.) HE didn't get any punishment, though, because he was due to graduate, and I guess the principal didn't feel like anything he did to my brother would make a difference. But he wanted to "save" me from going down some one-way path of dereliction, I guess, so I got the hammer.

Every day after school, I'd have to present myself to his office, and then he'd send me out to the school buses to scrape gum off the seats and floorboards and pick up trash. Ugh.

(Our parents divorced before I started 10th grade and my brother started 12th. We stayed with our father, who was a pilot. He wasn't too interested in parenting, so he'd leave $100 on the counter for food and disappear for about 3 weeks at a time, showing up out of the blue for a couple days and then disappearing again. Our mother was an hour away in another town. So my brother and I -- left entirely to our own devices -- would skip school. The school's automated system would call the house every day to inform the parents that their child had missed school, but my brother and I would catch the call. At the end of our 3rd 9-weeks grading period, the report cards came out and both of us started freaking a little about the number of absences we had. My brother said he was going to say it was a computer error. I came clean and confessed to our mother about the truancy. She called the principal and presented herself in his office with the two of us and basically said, "Here are my naughty children. They need to be punished." My brother got off with a lecture, and I got to scrape gum for the rest of the school year. I didn't skip as much in 11th grade and skipped very little in 12th.)

Old 03-31-2018, 04:25 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
10th grade year (late 80s), I got about 2 months of after-school suspension because I'd been skipping school. I missed so much school in the 10th grade that if I had missed one more day, I'd have been held back. My brother -- who was a senior -- was skipping, too. (We'd usually skip together.) HE didn't get any punishment, though, because he was due to graduate, and I guess the principal didn't feel like anything he did to my brother would make a difference. But he wanted to "save" me from going down some one-way path of dereliction, I guess, so I got the hammer.

Every day after school, I'd have to present myself to his office, and then he'd send me out to the school buses to scrape gum off the seats and floorboards and pick up trash. Ugh.

(Our parents divorced before I started 10th grade and my brother started 12th. We stayed with our father, who was a pilot. He wasn't too interested in parenting, so he'd leave $100 on the counter for food and disappear for about 3 weeks at a time, showing up out of the blue for a couple days and then disappearing again. Our mother was an hour away in another town. So my brother and I -- left entirely to our own devices -- would skip school. The school's automated system would call the house every day to inform the parents that their child had missed school, but my brother and I would catch the call. At the end of our 3rd 9-weeks grading period, the report cards came out and both of us started freaking a little about the number of absences we had. My brother said he was going to say it was a computer error. I came clean and confessed to our mother about the truancy. She called the principal and presented herself in his office with the two of us and basically said, "Here are my naughty children. They need to be punished." My brother got off with a lecture, and I got to scrape gum for the rest of the school year. I didn't skip as much in 11th grade and skipped very little in 12th.)
This makes me think of the time I had to stay after school and scrub desktops for the whole afternoon. But that was only one day. . Two months of that would have been hell. How long did each after school gum scraping session last?

Old 03-31-2018, 04:38 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
No I never did but my younger sister nearly got expelled during her last year of high school. My unblemished record helped my mom convince the high school principal not to expell her from what I understood.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:36 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,317,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
This makes me think of the time I had to stay after school and scrub desktops for the whole afternoon. But that was only one day. . Two months of that would have been hell. How long did each after school gum scraping session last?
I honestly don't recall how long each session lasted. And of course, this was in the 80s, before I could waste time on a cell phone. I do recall taking paperback novels with me sometimes and hunkering down for a read inside the buses to pass the time.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:46 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I honestly don't recall how long each session lasted. And of course, this was in the 80s, before I could waste time on a cell phone. I do recall taking paperback novels with me sometimes and hunkering down for a read inside the buses to pass the time.
Haha I remember those afternoons well. . I had a few "episodes" when I got a lot of detentions, though never as many as you. I'm impressed with your record... I used to read and do homework too, as well as nap, to pass the time.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:38 PM

804 posts, read 546,260 times
Ah yes the good times.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Did the title of this thread change? I could have sworn it was something like "Did you ever do anything at school that would get you suspended/expelled today?"

Yes, I merged two threads that were very similar.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
I was suspended once in Junior High for beating a bully into the ground. I had finally snapped and proceeded to beat his face into a locker. I got a 3 day suspension for that fight. I spent it at the beach, surfing. Best mini-vacation ever. Also, never got picked on again. I also think the bully transferred to a different school, but who knows. He could be dead in a ditch and I wouldn't care.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:40 AM

243 posts, read 224,971 times
Never ever! I was a good kid.
I was weird in the way that I actually enjoyed school.
High School for me, especially 11-12th grades were the best!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education