Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 09:46 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times

Advertisements

Along with this, how about: "I authored a book last year"? No. You ARE an author, and you wrote a book last year!

However, at work when I'm busy then all bets are off. I've been known to say things like, "Did you UPS that package yet?" Hey, I can have a double standard if I want to! (And not all of us care about not ending sentences with a preposition, i.e. my previous sentence! Haha.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart0415 View Post
It bugs me when people make verbs from nouns that were made from previously existing verbs, resulting in piling up unnecessary syllables!
Classical example "Orientated" instead of "oriented".
Also the appalling "conversating" instead of "conversing", brought-up by a previous poster, falls in the same category.

Also the recently encroaching trend, especially in coroporate-speak, to use verbs as nouns, for example:

"Invite" instead of "invitation": "I sent all of you an invite to the meeting"

"Spend" instead of "spending": "The capital spend for 2008 wil be..."

"Build" instead of "construction": "For 2008, the capital spend includes three new plant builds".

Last edited by SandyCo; 03-24-2008 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Faulty punctuation annoys me. I see it everywhere and it makes baby Jesus cry. What kills me is this ..... those ... stupid dots ... people ........ mistake for ellipses ...... and place randomly in their sentences. Hopefully, I spelled ellipses correctly. I'd hate to make baby Jesus cry, too.
I gave ya a reputation dot for that, as the Queen of dots...
I journal alot, so it's just 'stream of consciousness' going on...
or should I say, "I write in a journal often".

Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
My mother in law says CHIMLEY instead of CHIMNEY...drives me nuts!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:46 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,952 times
this thread is too long for me to check if this one has been mentioned, but the misuse of "whom" really disturbs me. saying "who" in place of "whom" can pass unnoticed, but the reverse is never true; it's just too jarring, and makes me cringe. i wish i could think of an example, but i don't speak that way, so it's difficult for my brain to make the error, even intentionally.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:24 AM

245 posts, read 1,272,758 times
"was because" drives me crazy. the airhead news reporters on tv say it all the time.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 AM

739 posts, read 830,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Most people mispronounce the word forte. It is NOT pronounced fortay. It is pronounced fort.

Your turn....
/ˈfɔrtɛ/[fawr-te]. Both the one- and two-syllable pronunciations of forte are now considered standard.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006

Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
I am a Hungarian living in America and I am still having a problem to understand what is the difference between "I have been there" or "I had been there". To me they are two past tenses?!
The second one is like a double past tense, so you're referring to something you had previously done in the context of something else you're recounting from the past. Example: I had been to the grocery store already that morning but then I needed to go again.

The other is just straight past tense: I have been to the grocery store today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Hey, don't go to the UK....they say zed instead of zero. I always thought that sounded weird, but I guess that's the King's English for you.
No we don't, we say zed instead of your "zee" - zed is the last letter of the alphabet in the UK. 0 is zero, or sometimes "nought".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
My mother in law says CHIMLEY instead of CHIMNEY...drives me nuts!
My ex's mum used to say wardrove instead of wardrobe - that drove me nuts too!

And we have a chain store called Matalan which she always called Mataland. That one turned into a running joke and now I call it "The Land of Matter" with a very deep voice, so that it sounds like something out of a sci fi or fantasy book

Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Irks me when things are used incorrectly for so long, until even the wrong way becomes acceptable, too -- as in forte.

Many of the changes in our language, specifically the use of punctuation marks (consider: commas) arise from journalistic style as contrasted with the rules found in an English grammar book. I used to show my HS students the difference, and tell them I was their English teacher, not the editor of a newspaper, and I wanted to see those commas.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:34 AM

288 posts, read 1,554,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
I like to ASK questions. It really bugs me when someone AXES a question!
I agree!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Irks me when things are used incorrectly for so long, until even the wrong way becomes acceptable, too -- as in forte.
I agree. Sometimes I hear words used incorrectly so much that I start to question myself.

An example occurred this morning when I was about to use the word "ignorant" to mean "not having much knowledge about something" and I thought "hold on, is that right?" just because it's used incorrectly so much.

I used to hear it used by people to refer to someone who had ignored them. I'm now unsure as to whether this has wormed its way in as an accepted use, as I just googled the definition and it came up with that particular meaning as "{informal}", which is a worry.

What are everyone's views on "ironic"? Sarcastic or unfortunate coincidence? Or both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education