Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the minimum acceptable?
A or 4.0 average 8 10.81%
B+ or 3.5 average 15 20.27%
B or 3.0 average 17 22.97%
C+ or 2.5 average 11 14.86%
C or 2.0 average 19 25.68%
D+ or 1.5 average 2 2.70%
D or 1.0 average 5 6.76%
F 2 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 04:12 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,058 times

Advertisements

In higher education GPA is important because lots of employers use GPAs as a screening mechanism. It is definitely not perfect, and some majors are much more difficult than others, but north of 3.0 is important to a lot of employers. I have taught tons of students over the years. The first thing I would do from an employer standpoint is to check GPA and difficulty of major. From there it is all about the interpersonal skills and competency.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 04:58 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
But are they amazing? Academically superior to pretty much all other kids? That is what an A is supposed to represent. however now most parents expect their special children to produce As and the teachers must provide them or face court martial.
Yes, they are. Sorry to be so blunt about it. They are top of their class. My sons both got admitted to selective academic programs at top universities. Last week, my daughter and I toured MIT and Harvard (yes, I know they’re reach schools). She has a 4.7/4.0 GPA, a 1590 SAT (she’s taking SAT a second time in March to try for a perfect 1600 - she got a perfect 800 on the Math portion). She has a perfect 800 on both the Math II and Chemistry SAT subject tests. She got a near perfect PSAT (can’t remember score) so will be a Natl. Merit Finalist.

My kids have had plenty of academic advantages (including tutoring if they want it) and are more than capable of maintaining A averages. They are happy kids and they have had excellent teachers. I would never expect a teacher to provide them with an A they did not earn.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:05 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Yes, they are. Sorry to be so blunt about it. They are top of their class. My sons both got admitted to selective academic programs at top universities. Last week, my daughter and I toured MIT and Harvard (yes, I know they’re reach schools). She has a 4.7/4.0 GPA, a 1590 SAT (she’s taking SAT a second time in March to try for a perfect 1600 - she got a perfect 800 on the Math portion). She has a perfect 800 on both the Math II and Chemistry SAT subject tests. She got a near perfect PSAT (can’t remember score) so will be a Natl. Merit Finalist.

My kids have had plenty of academic advantages (including tutoring if they want it) and are more than capable of maintaining A averages. They are happy kids and they have had excellent teachers. I would never expect a teacher to provide them with an A they did not earn.
Hopefully you haven’t imparted that idea to them because they will get to MIT or Harvard or wherever... and find out that they aren’t actually smarter than everyone else. And that might be a rude awakening.

Just saying...

Last edited by BLDSoon; 02-22-2019 at 05:26 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Hopefully you haven’t imparted that idea to them because they will get to MIT or Harvard or wherever... and find out that they aren’t actually smarter that everyone else. And that might be a rude awakening.

Just saying...
No, but I’m sure plenty here (like you?) will assume that. My daughter picks her own schools to tour/apply to. She now has 15-20 reach, match, and safety schools on her list. And she is the one who wants to retake her SAT for a perfect score (I told her the score was already high enough, but she’s competitive and wants to go for it).

We are educated enough to know that her GPA, SAT testing, advanced courseload does indeed make her “smart enough” for consideration of top schools like MIT. I believe her GPA/SAT testing results put her well above the acceptance mean as we plotted it out for each school. She has some other talents on her resume too, so we’ll see what happens. She’s got plenty of safety schools to fall back on.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:28 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Totally depends on the kid/student. And the class. And the learning that is going on in the class. And a host of other things.

We never used grades in our homeschooling. The point was mastery and understanding... who cares if they can regurgitate 85% of the facts needed to pass a test? I'd rather see them understand as close to 100% as possible, even if it takes longer for them to get through the material, and I do not support busywork in an effort to pad a grade. But even if they went to school, I would be more concerned with the actual learning and not with whether they had an A or a B+ or a B- in a class.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:32 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,100 times
Quote:
No, but I’m sure plenty here (like you?) will assume that. My daughter picks her own schools to tour/apply to. She now has 15-20 reach, match, and safety schools on her list. And she is the one who wants to retake her SAT for a perfect score (I told her the score was already high enough, but she’s competitive and wants to go for it).

We are educated enough to know that her GPA, SAT testing, advanced courseload does indeed make her “smart enough” for consideration of top schools like MIT. I believe her GPA/SAT testing results put her well above the acceptance mean as we plotted it out for each school. She has some other talents on her resume too, so we’ll see what happens. She’s got plenty of safety schools to fall back on.
And thats all great but isnt what i was referring to.

‘The smartest’ is an impossible ideal to live up to whether its imposed on oneself or by a parent. About as impossible, (and as superficial) as ‘The prettiest.’

Last edited by BLDSoon; 02-22-2019 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 05:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Too little context, here. Ability, special needs, etc. would be taken into consideration. It also needs to be considered that in some classes, an A may be easy to come by with minimal effort, while a C in another class may take tremendous effort to eke out.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
And thats all great but isnt what i was referring to.

‘The smartest’ is an impossible ideal to live up to whether its imposed on oneself of by a parent. About as impossible, (and as superficial) as ‘The prettiest.’
Are you really suggesting that my daughter or I think she’s the smartest person out there? Are you kidding?

She is smart and wants to surround herself with people who are smarter than herself, which is why she is looking at challenging academic programs, rather than being the “honor” student in a less challenging program.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:35 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:

Several issues with MIT etc.:
1). Don't recall specifically but MIT requires 20% (might be 25%) of each freshman class to come from families in which neither parent has a degree.

2). Both MIT and Harvard employ "geographical quotas" to the point that a couple of years ago both stopped publishing state by state acceptance data. The rub is assuming identical metrics if one is from New England, New York and California ones chance are VASTLY better than if one with is from Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Idaho etc. The New England part of that makes sense - the overwhelming CA bias does not.

3). The best school in the country that employs mostly on the merits admissions is Cal-Tech. Harvey Mudd is up there too.

My kids are a little older but both are academic overachievers too. My advice would be to keep the proverbial powder dry for graduate/professional school. One of my son's friends from medical school is a Penn graduate with not quite $200K in undergraduate debt. IMO scarce is the BS degree worth $200K debt.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Several issues with MIT etc.:
1). Don't recall specifically but MIT requires 20% (might be 25%) of each freshman class to come from families in which neither parent has a degree.

2). Both MIT and Harvard employ "geographical quotas" to the point that a couple of years ago both stopped publishing state by state acceptance data. The rub is assuming identical metrics if one is from New England, New York and California ones chance are VASTLY better than if one with is from Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Idaho etc. The New England part of that makes sense - the overwhelming CA bias does not.

3). The best school in the country that employs mostly on the merits admissions is Cal-Tech. Harvey Mudd is up there too.

My kids are a little older but both are academic overachievers too. My advice would be to keep the proverbial powder dry for graduate/professional school. One of my son's friends from medical school is a Penn graduate with not quite $200K in undergraduate debt. IMO scarce is the BS degree worth $200K debt.
My husband went to Caltech. They do look for geographic diversity. I like to joke he was the token Nebraskan, but he was well qualified to go there as well.

Interesting someone would have that much undergrad debt as the student loan debt is capped at $57,500 for undergrads. What'd he do, buy a house? Seriously, he must have a car loan and a lot of credit card debt as well.
https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/l...d-unsubsidized

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-22-2019 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education