Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 12:04 PM

922 posts, read 792,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
An IEP is just a piece of paper. OP, pick your battles. This isn't a hill to die on.
There is no question that an IEP is needed, but as I stated several times before, the school is trying to force an IEP that was written without the input of his parents, and disregarding what several mental health professionals have stated regarding the boy. I will never believe that it's appropriate for the school to diagnose a child and prepare an IEP without the parents' consent or input.

Even with an IEP there is no guarantee that the school will follow it. My daughter's IEP, written with very specific instructions for dealing with her behavior, was always ignored whenever my daughter had an issue that was clearly addressed in the IEP. Apparently, any action stated in the IEP translated to "send her the the nurse's office until her mother can come and get her."

I found out that his parents are being taken to court to force them to take their son to a psychologist. Even though his parents have signed a paper stating they would do this- yet again- they are still being taken to court. My grandson has already seen more than one psychologist, and this information has been given to the school several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 02:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The fact that they had to write such a law should be a good indication of schools pushing the inappropriate use of medication.
I can’t argue with this, sadly. At least some schools went way beyond their level of authority.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:19 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
There is no question that an IEP is needed, but as I stated several times before, the school is trying to force an IEP that was written without the input of his parents, and disregarding what several mental health professionals have stated regarding the boy. I will never believe that it's appropriate for the school to diagnose a child and prepare an IEP without the parents' consent or input.

Even with an IEP there is no guarantee that the school will follow it. My daughter's IEP, written with very specific instructions for dealing with her behavior, was always ignored whenever my daughter had an issue that was clearly addressed in the IEP. Apparently, any action stated in the IEP translated to "send her the the nurse's office until her mother can come and get her."

I found out that his parents are being taken to court to force them to take their son to a psychologist. Even though his parents have signed a paper stating they would do this- yet again- they are still being taken to court. My grandson has already seen more than one psychologist, and this information has been given to the school several times.
Get an attorney involved immediately. There is now a clear standoff between your grandson’s parents and the school district, and for whatever reason it can’t be resolved through common sense and conversation.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:

Autism is a disability category under IDEA. Although OHI is a catch all autism sounds like the best label. At this point it sounds like they parents are the issue. He’s not being diagnosed with anything he’s just being served under that category because it’s the best fit. You keep saying no input from the parents but I’m guessing that’s not true from what you’ve described. It also sounds as if he’s already gone through testing and eligibility and he’s moved on to the IEP development stage. If he hasn’t gone through eligibility then no IEP has yet been written for them to provide input.

We’re getting a 3rd hand story with a lot of holes.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:59 PM

7,350 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:

When my kid had an IEP for a nonverbal learning disability, there was no input from us. The input was from the school team who tested her. The school explained the results, but parents opinions were never included. The IEP is based on professional testing not parental input.

A child's mental health is not fixed. It changes with maturity. The school may want updated reports which is reasonable.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:31 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
When my kid had an IEP for a nonverbal learning disability, there was no input from us. The input was from the school team who tested her. The school explained the results, but parents opinions were never included. The IEP is based on professional testing not parental input.

A child's mental health is not fixed. It changes with maturity. The school may want updated reports which is reasonable.
No, by law parent input must be considered. Considered is the key word. Just because the parents want it doesn’t mean the team has to agree. That input can be given at the meeting as simple as I’m happy with the child’s progress or very detailed in advance. It depends on what the parents are willing to provide.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:32 AM

7,350 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
No, by law parent input must be considered. Considered is the key word. Just because the parents want it doesn’t mean the team has to agree. That input can be given at the meeting as simple as I’m happy with the child’s progress or very detailed in advance. It depends on what the parents are willing to provide.
Yes, considered is the word. However, it sounds like the OP son wants significantly more input that a consideration - they want to lead the IEP team and that's not happening.

Not every school, but some schools are run like a fiefdom where the administration is the lord and parents are the peasants. If this true here, OP son needs to learn diplomacy and compromise.

Being obstinate will not help. School officials have Master degrees and experience in special ed. Even if they are wrong here, they see themselves as experts and proud of their jobs. All it will do is provoke a fight as the OP has seen.

Quote:
He’s not being diagnosed with anything he’s just being served under that category because it’s the best fit.

We’re getting a 3rd hand story with a lot of holes.
Fully agreed. It's matter of semantics.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:12 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,736 times
Quote:
I feel like we're not getting the full story here. You're telling me that this is a child you claim has severe anxiety and OCD, to the point that is what his parents believe should be his qualifying disability, and additionally has made statements that he intends to harm himself and after refusing all services for him through the school, his parents do not have him under the current, constant care of a psychologist?

I'm starting to believe the school's version of events, with CPS intervention and check-ins, may have a reasonable basis.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:59 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Try to focus on getting your grandson the help he needs, through the school district, and helping the parents to realize that the school district is not their enemy, that they are only trying to help your grandson.

If the parents are being taken to court, I assume by DCF (a school district would not take parents to court), in order to get grandson psychological care (more than a one-time evaluation, but ongoing care), then they are in danger of losing custody of him.

This is not the time to fight. This is the time to try to convince the parents to allow psychological help for the grandchild and themselves, and to allow the school district to provide the services they recommend for the grandchild.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:21 AM

922 posts, read 792,182 times
He does get counseling, and has seen several mental health professionals who all agree he had anxiety and OCD, not autism. The parents' whole life revolves around this boy and he is in no way being neglected or abused.

The school took it upon themselves to create this IEP without the consent, knowledge or input of the parents. When my son goes to meet with them there is no discussion, they just shove the IEP in front of him and tell him to sign it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education