Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 10:44 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
He does get counseling, and has seen several mental health professionals who all agree he had anxiety and OCD, not autism. The parents' whole life revolves around this boy and he is in no way being neglected or abused.

The school took it upon themselves to create this IEP without the consent, knowledge or input of the parents. When my son goes to meet with them there is no discussion, they just shove the IEP in front of him and tell him to sign it.
I have never heard of an IEP signing happen outside of the child’s IEP meeting. It’s normally about 30 minutes but I’ve been in some that go over an hour. Parents are welcome to bring lawyers, advocates, etc. Each team
member takes a turn going over the assessments she/he used and their recommendations. Are you really saying there was no IEP meeting? I have difficulty believing that.

You seemed to imply he does have sensory issues, so I really do think it’s more than anxiety/OCD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 01:18 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:

The school took it upon themselves to create this IEP without the consent, knowledge or input of the parents. When my son goes to meet with them there is no discussion, they just shove the IEP in front of him and tell him to sign it.
Frankly, I don't believe that.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have never heard of an IEP signing happen outside of the child’s IEP meeting. It’s normally about 30 minutes but I’ve been in some that go over an hour. Parents are welcome to bring lawyers, advocates, etc. Each team
member takes a turn going over the assessments she/he used and their recommendations. Are you really saying there was no IEP meeting? I have difficulty believing that.

You seemed to imply he does have sensory issues, so I really do think it’s more than anxiety/OCD.
I never sign my son’s at the meeting. I always take it home and read it again and think over any changes. As a SPED teacher I have several parents who also do the same,

That being said there is no way he was called in for a surprise IEP meeting. The child would have gone through eligibility and the parents would have had to agreed that the child needs special education. Eligibility is the point at which the category, in this case autism, is determined. The category is not determined at the IEP meeting. Like I said 3rd hand knowledge is what we’re getting here.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I never sign my son’s at the meeting. I always take it home and read it again and think over any changes. As a SPED teacher I have several parents who also do the same,

That being said there is no way he was called in for a surprise IEP meeting. The child would have gone through eligibility and the parents would have had to agreed that the child needs special education. Eligibility is the point at which the category, in this case autism, is determined. The category is not determined at the IEP meeting. Like I said 3rd hand knowledge is what we’re getting here.
I didn’t mean it couldn’t be signed later, I just meant I doubt they just thrust an IEP at them to sign without having had a meeting. OP makes it sound like they just handed it to dad to sign when he walked into school.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:40 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
I didn’t mean it couldn’t be signed later, I just meant I doubt they just thrust an IEP at them to sign without having had a meeting. OP makes it sound like they just handed it to dad to sign when he walked into school.
I hate to say it but there’s a reason advocates and attorneys exist.

I have never experienced remotely what OP describes and I have had 2 kids go through the IEP process in 3 states. The process and documentation flow have been IDENTICAL in all cases. Not just similar, not kind of similar.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:43 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I hate to say it but there’s a reason advocates and attorneys exist.

I have never experienced remotely what OP describes and I have had 2 kids go through the IEP process in 3 states. The process and documentation flow have been IDENTICAL in all cases. Not just similar, not kind of similar.
I agree. And there's a reason for that. It's a highly legal-intense procedure, and the feds can get very involved.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:49 AM

What is, an IEP? Why would feds be involved? I’m not sure what you mean by legally intense procedure. IEPs are common and routine.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
He does get counseling, and has seen several mental health professionals who all agree he had anxiety and OCD, not autism. The parents' whole life revolves around this boy and he is in no way being neglected or abused.

1. The parents must be on the IEP team (it's the law).
2. Are the services being offered things he needs? If so, then don't quibble about the label. A label for school will have no relevance in the larger world and they don't have to tell anyone he even had an IEP. Many of the accommodations for autism may be relevant to anxiety and OCD. Many children with autism have anxiety. Some children with autism have OCD as well.
3. They have to give the parents the IEP ahead of time so they can review it (again it is the law).
4. If he will be in 7th grade and needs help, they need to look at the accommodations and services, not the label.
5. Did you say what State they are in?

Old 02-08-2020, 01:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. And there's a reason for that. It's a highly legal-intense procedure, and the feds can get very involved.
I acted as the advocate and didn't need an attorney though. It's a straightforward process, if you know how it goes.

The problems occur when you either try and go around the process (and its procedural safeguards) or get caught up in emotion instead of reaching the needed outcome.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:09 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
What is, an IEP? Why would feds be involved? I’m not sure what you mean by legally intense procedure. IEPs are common and routine.
An Individualized Education Plan is regulated by federal law Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). If the procedures are not followed it can in fact go to the feds. Although this is uncommon and it’s typically handled at the state level if the courts become involved. Here’s an example of a case that went all the way to the US Supreme Court.

https://sites.ed.gov/idea/questions-...district-re-1/

Although they are quite routine they are legally binding and special education teachers are governed by them. That’s why we take classes about special education law. Most people don’t realize how big of a responsibility special education teachers have with regards to the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education