Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 8,594 times

Advertisements

What if we look at aggregate data in the future and find out that kids doing online school without actually going to school do BETTER.

You know...like look at the data for say kindergarteners that never actually went to school...track their academic scores throughout their path.

I think once things get settled in these children will test as well or better than kids in the previous years who went to school 5 days a week.

Will this show the amount of waste in our education system?

Will some be left scratching their heads thinking why in the world these kids aren’t testing lower?

Will we see that once education is streamlined and made as efficient as possible that we don’t need nearly as much staff/teachers?

What if we can funnel that money into healthcare or something.

Maybe there can actually be some long term benefits to COVID as far as education reform in America....

For the amount of money we spend on education, could we actually just cut a check to every parent running the at-home school show? Maybe like a base salary.

I feel this could completely rip women out of the workplace.

Let’s say every parent not working yet controlling the education of a home-schooled child gets say $10,000/year. Perhaps $5,000 for each additional child they are educating.

Don’t we already spend close to $15,000/year per child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 09:42 AM

495 posts, read 328,148 times
My kids' teachers are actually very good, and they are highly trained in what they do. I think some homeschooling parents are also very good, and a few are highly trained in what they teach. I also think some homeschooling parents are also very bad, and this would create a disincentive for some parents just looking for handout $$ to not send their kids to school. Society as a whole benefits from having an educated populous. I think the kids who have great homeschooling parents will flourish wherever they are sent to learn, but the kids who don't, won't.

All that to say, it would likely be very problematic.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:54 AM

8 posts, read 8,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
My kids' teachers are actually very good, and they are highly trained in what they do. I think some homeschooling parents are also very good, and a few are highly trained in what they teach. I also think some homeschooling parents are also very bad, and this would create a disincentive for some parents just looking for handout $$ to not send their kids to school. Society as a whole benefits from having an educated populous. I think the kids who have great homeschooling parents will flourish wherever they are sent to learn, but the kids who don't, won't.

All that to say, it would likely be very problematic.
This is why I’m saying what if the averages say the kids not going to school do better? 1 parent (almost regardless of intellectual ability) helping educate 1-2 kids may be much more efficient than 1 teacher attempting to educate 25 kids. A lot of what happens during a typical school day is wasted time.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:17 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
No. Then you have to qualify the parents for the home teaching positions and curricula because it would attract even more unqualified teachers. Half of them don't have college. It would be better for the unemployed/unemployable parents to send their kids to the public schools and keep their ranks in the homeschools to a minimum.

Most of the home schoolers eventually go to the public schools since the parents lack the educational background in specific subjects to teach beyond elementary school. Kids start going to different classes throughout the day during middle school.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:38 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripkobe248 View Post
What if we look at aggregate data ...
I have never encountered a single human being who is aggregate data. You?

There are so many variables, the variables vary from time to time, and there is no preset formula or model that can calculate them all in advance.

Yes, after the fact does matter to a certain extent, but past performance is no guarantee of future results, because if it did, we wouldn't be seeking to make adjustments and changes from generation to generation, from circumstance to circumstance.

It is helpful to have options, now:

1) public schools;
2) private schools;
3) charter schools;
4) online schools (professional teachers live via video) public, private and charter;
5) home schools (parents and/or groups of parents);
6) other.

All of the above, all at the same time, do the best possible, and hope for the best.

All the best, then.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Online schooling (prepared materials) is not Homeschooling. It is doing conventional schooling at home. That could be just as terrible as wasting all day stuck in a classroom (For an innovative kid or innovative parents who wish to convey MORE than 'just school' to their kids)

There is a lot of room for options and more coming. (Thank goodness for the good of our students).

SIL is dong very well teaching 100% on-line for last 5+ yrs. Saved her health and safety from the dangers / physical requirements of teaching students with special needs. The districts had continually withdrawn her aides and in-class helpers.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:39 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
"Paying parents" wouldn't likely fly.

However, maybe reducing/eliminating the property tax portion for schools for people that don't have kids might be something.

Reducing taxes on grandparents/retired military/first responders might be a good idea. Just a thought...

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 08-16-2020 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 08-16-2020, 04:26 PM

464 posts, read 202,731 times
I don't know about your state, but they aren't doing any standardized tests in our districts this year so there will be no way of measuring progress (by their standards). I don't think states would ever allow homeschooled/virtually schooled kids to test bc it would put conventional education into question if the scores were higher.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:20 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
it'll never happen.
1. teacher's unions are too powerful
2. you are forgetting that there are many uneducated parents. how do you expect them to educate their children when they can barely read at a high school level?

Old 08-16-2020, 05:24 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
And the kids who don't have internet, or adequate internet, at home? Or who have unhealthy home conditions (for whatever reason)? One issue of kids removed from school that has already been encountered is that now they don't have the stability of school lunches (and sometimes breakfasts). Are all parents qualified to teach or have the patience to do so? What about single-parent households where quitting a job to teach a kid isn't an option? Why do you think it's a good idea for women to be "completely rip{ped} out of the workplace"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education