Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 08:07 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Dermatologists around the world have noticed an increasing number of patients presenting with an unusual rash that may be related to COVID-19: red-purple, tender or itchy bumps that develop mostly on the toes, but also on the heels and fingers. The skin findings resemble perniosis or chilblains, a rash that typically is associated with exposure to cold conditions. According to Dr. Harp, “These skin findings are typically linked to cold weather. So seeing so much of it now is very unusual. Dermatologists think it may be one of the ways the body responds to the COVID-19 virus.”
COVID toe in kids

No Good Options

Downsides to all options for reopening schools

Last edited by lchoro; 08-20-2020 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 09:34 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Schools have always been "incubators for disease". Why not shut them all down permanently?

Children actually die from abuse, neglect, and depression. They do not die from covid-19.
They are incubators for disease. Now even more so. I am concerned for both the students and the teachers.

Sadly, home is a very unsafe place for *some* children. That is a social problem that I can not solve in this post. I am on record on City Data as being AGAINST HOMESCHOOLING. You are mixing issues, though.

Children de contract COVID and it has serious. life long ramifications when they do.

Again, schools are not Day Care Centers.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:45 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Children don't die from covid-19. They recover. There is no reason to quarantine children who don't have the disease.

Well then, what's your plan for addressing the problem at home? You don't want children going to school because of covid-19. Are social workers expected to pay visits to each child in the country just to check on them? How often? Should they visit all homes including two-parent middle class homes, or just the trailer parks and ghettoes? Is it healthy to have social workers going from house to house, potentially spreading the disease from house to house?
These Covid alarmists have no plan but panic. And tot hem there are no other problems in the world other than Covid.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:53 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
They are incubators for disease. Now even more so. I am concerned for both the students and the teachers.

Sadly, home is a very unsafe place for *some* children. That is a social problem that I can not solve in this post. I am on record on City Data as being AGAINST HOMESCHOOLING. You are mixing issues, though.

Children de contract COVID and it has serious. life long ramifications when they do.

Again, schools are not Day Care Centers.
I am not mixing issues. If children don't go to school, many of them will die and many more will suffer.

Teachers who are morbidly obese or have severe asthma can take a leave of absence until the pandemic blows over.

A handful of children have contracted covid-19 over the summer. Another handful will undoubtedly contract it once schools reopen. Don't panic when they do, let them quarantine and recover at home, and we'll be fine.

You say schools are not day care centers, and you are correct, but I'm not sure what your point is. You're against home schooling but you want to force children to go to school at home? I'm in favor of home schooling but I think it should be a choice.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:17 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
I am not mixing issues. If children don't go to school, many of them will die and many more will suffer.

Teachers who are morbidly obese or have severe asthma can take a leave of absence until the pandemic blows over.

A handful of children have contracted covid-19 over the summer. Another handful will undoubtedly contract it once schools reopen. Don't panic when they do, let them quarantine and recover at home, and we'll be fine.

You say schools are not day care centers, and you are correct, but I'm not sure what your point is. You're against home schooling but you want to force children to go to school at home? I'm in favor of home schooling but I think it should be a choice.
Yes. While there is a PANDEMIC of a DEADLY DISEASE for which there is 1, NO CURE 2. NO VACCINATION, I am absolutely against children in grades K-12 congregating in a building.

My point is clear - the is a MEDICAL CRISIS that supersedes the need for children, who are known super-spreaders, to attend school at THIS TIME. For how long? Maybe until there is a cure?

It isn't even CONTAINED and under CONTROL, at this point. Juveniles at their best are not perfect when it comes to obeying rules pertaining to the spread of infectious disease. \
As the former Health Director of a residential summer camp, I speak with experience and authority on the issue of disease containment.

My own state, after opening, which I thought was premature, has closed again. Consequently my church has chosen to suspend services.

COVID has highlighted many flaws in our society. Lack of health care and lack of child care are but two.

My solution vis a vis school is simple - LEAVE EVERYONE BACK ONE GRADE. If all children in the US are held back because of this emergency, we are acting in a prident manner to thward the further spread of the disease, and level the playing field.

COVID also illuminates the need for economic equality in our country. Not all children have access to computers or the internet. Online learning will favor children with better educated parents, who have multiple computer households, and involved families.

Basically, the $Hyt has hit the fan.

Take some money from the bloated Military budgjet and allocate it to scientific research to find a treatment, cure and a vaccination for this deadly disease.

Think about the problem of inadequate child care that is unique to the US, as a wealthy, developed First Word country. Raise the minimum wage so that more families do not need two parents working outside the home, full time and in many cases, MORE than that.

That would be a start.

The virus does not vanish because it's September.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:07 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm down here in Texas. Our school district, decided to be the guinea pig and go for a full scale reopening instead of doing remote like everyone else around here. Both me and the wife work so we decided to go ahead and take the risk and send the kids to school. Well yesterday, my third grader's teacher sent us an email saying that she was going to quarantine herself out of "an abundance of caution" because she came into contact with a positive covid person. Now we are seriously re evaluating if this was a good idea sending the kids in. Plus I feel for the teachers. They are not soldiers who sign up knowing that death is a possibility of the job. I dont blame them one bit for saying no thanks on sacrificing their lives.
death is a possibility of the teaching profession now because of Covid-19?

Calling them soldiers??? no, no and NO again.

Really?
C'mon man (that was Biden who just shouted back at you) they aren't firefighters, police officers or even close to military veterans who are staring at death on every call they go on. You should never throw that label about school teachers being on front lines, unless it's in a bad neighborhood where they are getting in physical fights with HS students sometimes.

Our teachers had six months off already. Hopefully our "teachers" improved their health & fitness to fight off any diseases. What we do know is there's 1000's of reports of obese and co-morbid people who did recover from Covid-19. It is certainly no death sentence or high odds of being hospitalized.

What news source do you trust? The US dems or repubs channels, or news in Europe & Asia about teachers (who are teaching w/o whining like Americans). I tend to trust certain foreign news sources more because in the US there's always a selfish angle that's being played.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:07 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. While there is a PANDEMIC of a DEADLY DISEASE for which there is 1, NO CURE 2. NO VACCINATION, I am absolutely against children in grades K-12 congregating in a building.

My point is clear - the is a MEDICAL CRISIS that supersedes the need for children, who are known super-spreaders, to attend school at THIS TIME. For how long? Maybe until there is a cure?
How long?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FgSmdfRUus
Song title, In the Year 2525

Old 08-21-2020, 12:20 AM

20,664 posts, read 4,433,674 times
Having all the kids going back into the school at once seems stupid without a cure right now.

But it can't be that hard to figure out a way for the schools to operate at full capacity. Even if the students & possibly teachers are at home. Heck the DNC is managing to meet remotely.

Each teacher can have a virtual meeting/class to teach. Then possibly make arrangements for assignments/testing to have a limited number of students in school at a time.

IE: A class with 25 students can be divided into five classes to keep distance.

The current herding videos/photos we see can't continue.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:27 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,757 times
There is NEVER going to be a cure. Just as there is no cure for the flu or for the common cold or coxsackie or any of the other regular viruses we come in contact with.

1200 child die every year at the hands of their caregivers through abuse and neglect. Calls to police and child services dropped 40% at the onset of the quarantine. Do you think those children magically stopped being abused? No they just were never exposed to anyone who called on their behalf. Ya'll arent thinking of the children youre thinking of the adults who dont want to go to work because they might get sick with a virus that has a 99.96 chance of being ok.

If 1200 children die in a system where there are mandatory reporters in their everyday life, how many will die when there are no reporters. Mandatory reporting may be treating the symptom but there is ZERO way to treat the cause because there are no common denominators for abuse except that it happens. NO way to determine its going to happen before it happens. The only option is to help after the fact. And if being a mandatory reporter is to much of a burden you dont deserve to be around children.

Mandatory reporting isnt yet another responsibility we are foisting on teachers. Teachers are often the only people outside of a family who come in contact with a child on a regular basis. They are the only people who will recognize the sign and symptoms. They are the only hope for these children.

But at the end of the day noone is thinking about the thousands of children who will die trapped in their homes with their abusers. Noone cares about the children who are starved, beaten and tortured and the only respite they get and the only meal they get is at school.

Of course the system isnt perfect but even an imperfect system is better than no system at all which is what we have now. Noone is offering any solutions that will actually help, they are just saying but the teachers might get sick.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:16 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am a big supporter of free public education as, traditionally, have been most of my people. Since we came to America in the late 1800s and early 1900s (primarily, some of us were here earlier) we first learned English in night school and then went on to be the biggest supporters of public education. In New York City with created the (once excellent) City College system. Albert Shanker and, I think, Eva Moscowitz were and are "members of the tribe."

The teachers, by demanding full pay for doing less than a full job, are killing the golden goose that lays their eggs. They may get "goose-egged" if this goes on much longer.
What is this "full pay for doing less than a full job"? My grandson is doing distance learning but his teachers are probably spending more time teaching than they did before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education