Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 01:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

The J.O. Combs Unified School District in Arizona canceled plans to reopen on Monday, August 17, after widespread backlash from teaching staff.

"Due to these insufficient staffing levels, schools will not be able to reopen on Monday as planned," Superintendent Gregory A. Wyman said in a Friday statement.

https://news.yahoo.com/arizona-schoo...120544783.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 03:55 PM

1,434 posts, read 667,304 times
This will contribute to the end of the public school system.
Parents are having to find alternatives to their childrens education because teachers won't go back to school.
They will not pay for those and also fund public schools. At least not for long.
Public schools have been failing children for some time anyway.Good time for big change.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:47 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
Parents are having to find alternatives to their childrens education because teachers won't go back to school.
They will not pay for those and also fund public schools. At least not for long.
Public schools have been failing children for some time anyway.Good time for big change.
I am a big supporter of free public education as, traditionally, have been most of my people. Since we came to America in the late 1800s and early 1900s (primarily, some of us were here earlier) we first learned English in night school and then went on to be the biggest supporters of public education. In New York City with created the (once excellent) City College system. Albert Shanker and, I think, Eva Moscowitz were and are "members of the tribe."

The teachers, by demanding full pay for doing less than a full job, are killing the golden goose that lays their eggs. They may get "goose-egged" if this goes on much longer.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:03 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
Will it? There may be a severe backlash against populism in the next few months by powerful pro-establishment political forces. Public schools with their captive audience is a very powerful political weapon and it won't be surrendered easily.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:44 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Everybody likes to make predictions. When it comes right down to it, none of us really know the long term outcome of covid on a whole range of topics from restaurants to movie theaters to sports stadiums to schools, and on and on and on.

What I see above is more about politics than covid.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:47 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
This just happened here in a local district, after plans were in place to re-open in person (Ohio community).

Teachers can elect to take their FMLA anytime - they can't be stopped - and 30 did so.

I don't think this is "the end" - but did anyone think teachers wanted to go back?

Old 08-18-2020, 11:59 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
I'm down here in Texas. Our school district, decided to be the guinea pig and go for a full scale reopening instead of doing remote like everyone else around here. Both me and the wife work so we decided to go ahead and take the risk and send the kids to school. Well yesterday, my third grader's teacher sent us an email saying that she was going to quarantine herself out of "an abundance of caution" because she came into contact with a positive covid person. Now we are seriously re evaluating if this was a good idea sending the kids in. Plus I feel for the teachers. They are not soldiers who sign up knowing that death is a possibility of the job. I dont blame them one bit for saying no thanks on sacrificing their lives.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:04 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
well – that’s a little over-drama for the reality.

Let me first say: COVID kills people. It does. And it’s contagious. It is.

But on an individual basis – on person at a time – your risk is very – very – low. As a teacher, there must be dozens of things you can catch from children that are (and always were) more likely to kill you can COVID. Even salmonella from the café food is more deadly than COVID. Teachers did indeed sign up for death on the job, in the form of flu, mumps, measles, malaria, hepatitis, gunshots, and many others. Always a risk. Always. The problem with COVID is the sheer number of sick people – not the “deadly-ness.” Lots of things are more deadly. As a child – the risk is greater to be injured or die in the car on the way there than to get seriously ill or die of COVID.

As a large group – it’s a problem. Why? We don’t have enough hospital beds to support an entire sick community. And a very efficient way to infect your entire community on the same day is to send a few super spreader asymptomatic TEACHERS to the classroom, so 30 or so kids can transport it at once to mom and dad and gramma. One kid – one teacher – one time – odds are quite low. 30 kids – one teacher over and over again – eh, greater odds. We’re going to see lots of closures and quarantines. But this is “baked in” as just another step on the way to getting most folks slowwwwly infected. Your odds of avoiding forever are near zero.

But – as I said – on an individual basis, there is no need to over-react. The odds of you – personally – getting seriously ill or dying because of school are very – very – low.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:12 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm down here in Texas. Our school district, decided to be the guinea pig and go for a full scale reopening instead of doing remote like everyone else around here. Both me and the wife work so we decided to go ahead and take the risk and send the kids to school. Well yesterday, my third grader's teacher sent us an email saying that she was going to quarantine herself out of "an abundance of caution" because she came into contact with a positive covid person. Now we are seriously re evaluating if this was a good idea sending the kids in. Plus I feel for the teachers. They are not soldiers who sign up knowing that death is a possibility of the job. I dont blame them one bit for saying no thanks on sacrificing their lives.

My kids are natural slackers.

They heard "stay home" and said -- SIGN ME UP!

Old 08-18-2020, 05:19 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
A lot of private schools have gone under since the pandemic has reduced or eliminated the subsidies from church attendance. The taxpayers will bear the burden for taking these kids in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education