Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2020, 11:36 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times

Advertisements

As someone educated in the US (primarily in the70s-90s), I can name most countries on the world map with the exception of some of the Oceanic/Pacific Island nations (is that flyspeck Tuvalu or Tahiti?) But I had the very rare priviledge of growing up in a household that owned a special book called an atlas.

In all seriousness, my family traveled a lot and I have, perhaps as a result, always been a bit of a geography nerd. I also mainly socialize with other educated people who have at least a passing interest in world events, so I don't come into contact with too many people who seem like the stereotypical geography-ignorant American.

That said, videos like the one in the OP are highly misleading. You could make a video like that in any country in the world. Sure, many countries emphasize teaching of geography to a much greater extent than most US school systems, but there are plenty of people in the world who are content to let knowledge pass in one ear and out the other.

The difference is that the US has (to its detriment) less shame in being ignorant and likes to laugh at stupidity rather than ignore or hide it, so we end up with videos like this that seem to make Americans out to be singularly uneducated.

I think it is rather naive to assume that these videos are a random sampling of Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 10:46 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Many Americans cannot identify a single country from a world map?
Yet there are some who (continue to) support vocational training in high-school rather than building upon a general education for all K-12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I think it is rather naive to assume that these videos are a random sampling of Americans.
I think it's rather naive to assume it isn't. I read in Forbes thirty percent of Americans couldn't point to the Pacific Ocean, and a majority of states don't require geography in middle school (it falls under the umbrella of social studies); only ten states required a geography course to graduate from high-school.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:06 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yet there are some who (continue to) support vocational training in high-school rather than building upon a general education for all K-12.
I went through vocational training in high school. Sufficient credits in English, math, science, social studies, etc. were still required to graduate; the training classes replaced a bunch of electives available in art, gym, choir, etc.

Quote:
I think it's rather naive to assume it isn't. I read in Forbes thirty percent of Americans couldn't point to the Pacific Ocean, and a majority of states don't require geography in middle school (it falls under the umbrella of social studies); only ten states required a geography course to graduate from high-school.
Random sampling is a method in statistics to ensure that your sample resembles the population, usually in terms of things like age, race, sex, education, and income level. Even if they did this for a bit that was purely for entertainment, the participants selected for airing were the ones who couldn't find their own country. We have no idea how many people they had to interview to get those clips. It reminds me of documentary maker Tom Naughton, who says he had to shoot for hours in southern California to get a few clips showing a bunch of overweight people.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:42 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No, I did not mean a literacy test. Have the imbeciles point to the United States on a map. If they can’t do that, they’ve got no business voting.

Carbon footprints are for sasquatches.
Pointing to the United States on a map is far from a "basic knowledge of the world".

Maybe have people check a box that says "I have a basic knowledge of the world" on their mail in ballot?

Old 12-06-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I went through vocational training in high school. Sufficient credits in English, math, science, social studies, etc. were still required to graduate; the training classes replaced a bunch of electives available in art, gym, choir, etc.
Exactly; too many elective credits available for extra-cirricular activities or vocational training, not enough geography and focus toward a general education. Social studies is an umbrella for economics, geography, history and even psychology for some middle and/or high-schools. It's obvious why we have thirty percent of Americans unable to identify the Pacific Ocean. Requiring individual classes in the aforementioned (rather than vocational training) could go a long way toward a (stronger) foundation i.e. the point of K-12.

Quote:
Even if they did this for a bit that was purely for entertainment, the participants selected for airing were the ones who couldn't find their own country. We have no idea how many people they had to interview to get those clips.
Entertainment is not the point; our educational standard is. Only ten states require high-school geography to receive a diploma.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 12-06-2020 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-06-2020, 03:01 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
These kind of videos are all too numerous and don’t serve any real purpose. Yes, it’s true, that a lot of Americans would fare poorly in geography, but unless your video comes clean about the metrics it used to conduct these tests, it becomes pointless.

I’d ask the following questions:
1) How big was the sample size?
2) Was there any racial bias involved?
3) Was there a particular demographic targeted?
4) Where was the test conducted (rural, urban...)?
5) How exclusive were you in your results (did you omit those who answered correctly)?

Old 12-06-2020, 05:05 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Quote:
Exactly; too many elective credits available for extra-cirricular activities or vocational training, not enough geography and focus toward a general education. Social studies is an umbrella for economics, geography, history and even psychology for some middle and/or high-schools. It's obvious why we have thirty percent of Americans unable to identify the Pacific Ocean. Requiring individual classes in the aforementioned (rather than vocational training) could go a long way toward a (stronger) foundation i.e. the point of K-12.
Suppose you're a non-college-bound student, which most students really ought to be. What knowledge will serve your interest best: geography, gym, or engine repair? When your mechanic has a month-long waitlist and your mother can't find anyone to repair her power wheelchair--as was the case in Denver where I used to live--which one of those will serve society best?

Quote:
Entertainment is not the point; our educational standard is. Only ten states require high-school geography to receive a diploma.
If you're in favor of academic rigor, you may want to learn statistical terms "random sampling" and how to identify an argument in a paragraph. My point was not entertainment, it was a statistical practice called cherry picking.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Suppose you're a non-college-bound student, which most students really ought to be. What knowledge will serve your interest best: geography, gym, or engine repair? When your mechanic has a month-long waitlist and your mother can't find anyone to repair her power wheelchair--as was the case in Denver where I used to live--which one of those will serve society best?
Point being, high-school isn't about providing job skills/placement; it's about a general education for all. Yet, you're actually arguing against Geography (in favor of engine repair) when thirty percent of our country can't identify the Pacific Ocean, yet alone another country (amidst globalization, no less).

Quote:
If you're in favor of academic rigor, you may want to learn statistical terms "random sampling" and how to identify an argument in a paragraph.
That you think a Geography requirement in high-school (sans vocational training) is equivalent to 'academic rigor' speaks to the problem, as a whole (as does your hostile stance, for that matter).

Old 12-07-2020, 12:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
It's weird. Quite some people never took geography in high school, or physics, or chemistry...
Is it unique in the US? I think they are compulsory in most countries.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:05 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's weird. Quite some people never took geography in high school, or physics, or chemistry...
Is it unique in the US? I think they are compulsory in most countries.
I think most of these subjects are required at some level. But years later, maybe they are forgotten?

I can barely remember a simple physics formula anymore, much less organic chemistry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education