Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 11:21 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times

Advertisements

My daughter was talking at 6 months, in sentences at 1 year and reading at 4. Did not think it was that unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 12:01 PM

558 posts, read 434,618 times
I didn't learn to read until first grade, which was the norm back in the 1960s. By second grade, I was scoring PHS (post high school) on standardized achievement tests. When I took the GRE, I made a 789, which is the 99th percentile, on the verbal part. (Let's not discuss my math score!)

My point is that there was no disadvantage to my learning to read according to the norms.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:19 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
I’ve seen one student who was reading long texts shortly after the age of 4 and just fly through them. He was the best reader for a 4 year-old I’ve ever seen.

The issue was that the times he wasn’t reading, or on the iPad, he was biting, kicking, and hitting other students. He also threw massive temper tantrums, rolling on the ground, screaming, and kicking things. I suspect that he probably had autism, but at the time he had no official diagnosis.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:56 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
My son didn't read until he was 6. But by the time 4th grade rolled around and the class was reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe my son had already read it the previous year and was allowed to do his book report on The Silver Chair which he had not previously read.

It's nice to be an early reader/talker/walker/figure skater but it's really just Page 1 of the story.

Old 07-07-2022, 01:15 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Reading before the age of 5 MIGHT mean the child has hyperlexia. Hyperlexia has a LOT of pros, but it has some negatives.

Like, they might struggle with reading comprehension, social cues, might affect sleep, understanding "who, what when and where" and might struggle with handwriting and school projects.

Old 07-07-2022, 01:29 PM

206 posts, read 135,655 times
technology now available to a 4yr old or a 104 yo = Voice to TXT / TXT to Voice!

Old 07-07-2022, 03:07 PM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Wonder if the OP still feels special.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:24 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I’ve seen one student who was reading long texts shortly after the age of 4 and just fly through them. He was the best reader for a 4 year-old I’ve ever seen.

The issue was that the times he wasn’t reading, or on the iPad, he was biting, kicking, and hitting other students. He also threw massive temper tantrums, rolling on the ground, screaming, and kicking things. I suspect that he probably had autism, but at the time he had no official diagnosis.

Yeah...I was under the impression that early reading raises concerns with pediatricians. It CAN BE an indication of problems. But my knowledge on THAT is old...like 30 yrs. lol

Old 07-07-2022, 05:52 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
It's not unusual at all, even in 2 more languages that have nothing in common. I've seen 3 year old children read fluently in both English and Chinese. Now, could you understand what you read or did you simply decode the words? Hebrew is actually easier to decode because there are patterns based on 3 word roots. I knew a 3 year old (Zachary) who would decode New York Times articles. I once knew a 5 year old who could read a college economics textbook and then essentially summarize the basic principles stated on that page. To me that's more of a gift. Go to any upper middle class prekindergarten class these days and you'll find 3/4 of the class able to "decode" a long passage fluently that they can't understand. It been this way for about the last 20 years. It sounds like you came from an educated family and were exposed to a lot of language. Recognizing the patterns in language and/or math intuitively is a developmental skill. Kids who don't start reading until 6 are not necessarily smarter than early readers. More girls are early readers than boys. But it all evens out in high school when the boys catch up in cognitive maturity.

The curriculum have been pushed down. It used to be that letters and numbers were taught in kindergarten. Now, kids are taught to read in kindergarten and if they aren't reading a level D book independently by the end of the year, they get referred.

Last edited by Coney; 07-07-2022 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 06:28 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicIsMySoul View Post
I hope the question fits here ... (I'm new here),
but anyway, is that okay? I started to read whole texts at the age of 4 without anyone teaching me to do so...
I want to know if this kind of things are common.
thanks for your answer!!
I don’t understand the question or the premise.

Reading isn’t instinct. A turtle is born and never meets its mother or father, yet it knows to make its way to the water, and it returns 20 years later… fascinating how that all works, but I digress.

You didn’t magically know how to read. You learned it somehow… it’s odd that you are convinced it seemingly happened without any learning…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education