Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 06:34 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The curriculum have been pushed down. It used to be that letters and numbers were taught in kindergarten. Now, kids are taught to read in kindergarten and if they aren't reading a level D book independently by the end of the year, they get referred.
Unfortunately, the emphasis on reading for younger and younger children has led to the neglect of other activities which are more developmentally appropriate for most 4 and 5-year-olds, such as physical activity and cooperative play. Early reading does NOT directly correlate with future academic success, and preschoolers who are not ready are being forced to spend way too much time on sitting still and learning to read. Of course, if a young child is obviously eager to learn to read, that's a different story. But teachers aren't allowed to follow their individual cues...everyone has to be reading by 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 07:06 PM

22,151 posts, read 19,203,648 times
yes it happens.
i was reading books by the time i was 4. i also never went to preschool or kindergarten. my mother "didn't believe in them." My mother said i just picked up books and read them. There were always a lot of books in the house. But i was not ever "read to" as in i have no memories whatsoever of an adult ever sitting reading books out loud to me. I remember overhearing someone say to my dad once something about that i "read books without ever having been taught to read." I remember pulling books out of the tall book case at home and just reading them.

when i started actually going to school it was first grade and i remember the SRA reading modules in a box in the classroom. They were classified and sorted by grade level. So level 3 meant you were reading at a third grade level, level 6 meant you were reading at a sixth grade level. So in first grade during reading lessons, the teacher would have me go sit in the back of the classroom and read the level 9 cards.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
I don’t understand the question or the premise.

Reading isn’t instinct. A turtle is born and never meets its mother or father, yet it knows to make its way to the water, and it returns 20 years later… fascinating how that all works, but I digress.

You didn’t magically know how to read. You learned it somehow… it’s odd that you are convinced it seemingly happened without any learning…
bold above, no that is not the case, not everyone "learns it" and
yes there are people who DO just know how to read.
without "learning it." without anyone "teaching them."
they just know how to read and they do it. that was me.
so i assure you that bold above is not accurate for every person.

i have noticed it with other things, too, as an adult.
I have noticed when i take classes to "learn" something that as we go over the material the teacher is "teaching us" i find that I already know it. It does not feel at all like i am "learning it." it feels like I am "remembering" it. Remembering something i already knew how to do. This has happened several times in various activities, everything from specific dance styles, to advanced craniosacral techniques. Teachers in the classes on many occasions have commented "you already know how to do this."

Old 07-07-2022, 07:36 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times
I would say that it is not "normal" or "usual" for a 4-year-old to read fluently, though many will recognize words.

I was reading the newspaper at age 4, which, at least for my generation, was considered to be very advanced.

Perhaps children are reading at a younger age nowadays, though I really don't know. There are many more programs for pre-schoolers now, that's for sure.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:36 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I am a lifelong reader and a words person, but I didn't learn to read until I went to first grade.

When my daughter was not yet 3, she had the colored alphabet refrigerator magnets, and she called me over one day to show me that she had made a rainbow out of the colored letters. Then she proceeded to point to each letter and tell me what they were. I was surprised, because I hadn't taught her letters, so I asked how she knew what they were.

She said, "My cat taught me." We didn't have any cat, let alone one that knew the alphabet. I still have no idea, but maybe she learned watching TV. She couldn't actually read, just identify the letters.

But when she was five, she was in the other room when my mother and I were talking about my 18-year-old, high-school dropout niece. My mother spelled p-r-e-g-n-a-n-t, and a minute later my daughter came running in saying, "Amy is pregnant?"

The secret spelling days were over.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-07-2022 at 08:01 PM..

Old 07-07-2022, 07:51 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Unfortunately, the emphasis on reading for younger and younger children has led to the neglect of other activities which are more developmentally appropriate for most 4 and 5-year-olds, such as physical activity and cooperative play. Early reading does NOT directly correlate with future academic success, and preschoolers who are not ready are being forced to spend way too much time on sitting still and learning to read. Of course, if a young child is obviously eager to learn to read, that's a different story. But teachers aren't allowed to follow their individual cues...everyone has to be reading by 5.
Agreed!

Old 07-07-2022, 08:16 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicIsMySoul View Post
I hope the question fits here ... (I'm new here),
but anyway, is that okay? I started to read whole texts at the age of 4 without anyone teaching me to do so...
I want to know if this kind of things are common.
thanks for your answer!!
It is normal.

Old 07-07-2022, 08:21 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree with the previous two posters. Reading at age 4 is on the early side of the curve, but plenty of equally bright children do not read until 6 or even later.

I was a fluent reader at age 4, and apart from being bored for the first few years in elementary school until the other kids caught up to me, it had no real impact on my life.
I was the same but I would say that my early reading, around 5-7 did have an impact on my later life. Even then I liked reading about science and history, I was always getting into my older brother's college texts, and hated that I could only use the "junior" library. Anyway that early reading developed my interest in science which many years later led to a career in automotive and aerospace engineering.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:34 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above, no that is not the case, not everyone "learns it" and
yes there are people who DO just know how to read.
without "learning it." without anyone "teaching them."
they just know how to read and they do it. that was me.
so i assure you that bold above is not accurate for every person.

i have noticed it with other things, too, as an adult.
I have noticed when i take classes to "learn" something that as we go over the material the teacher is "teaching us" i find that I already know it. It does not feel at all like i am "learning it." it feels like I am "remembering" it. Remembering something i already knew how to do. This has happened several times in various activities, everything from specific dance styles, to advanced craniosacral techniques. Teachers in the classes on many occasions have commented "you already know how to do this."
Oh don’t be stupid

Old 07-07-2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Oh don’t be stupid
a. I'm not.
b. However the comment in post above is.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-07-2022 at 10:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education