Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 10:38 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm not talking about temporary "someone hit a pole" power outage, and nor sure what BLM riots have to do with it, considering those were not due to shortages of anything. There are many videos of individuals fighting each other over TP, stealing it out of other people's carts, etc. People were chaotic during that time, I remember how disconcerting it was in the supermarket, when many shelves were bare, and you could tell people were barely restraining themselves from running for certain aisles when they entered the store. I found the undercurrent frightening. I think the line between civilization and animalistic behavior is a much thinner line than you do.

What do low-income people have to do with anything???

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9E48&FORM=VIRE
When you say "we" fought over toilet paper and that "we" are going to riot when the Chinese take out our power grid, you are not talking about regular middle class people. You are talking about people who are already desperate and on the edge. I only brought up the 2020 riots/looting because that was a recent example of society, or certain parts of it, devolving into civil unrest due to breakdown of normalcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 10:47 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
When you say "we" fought over toilet paper and that "we" are going to riot when the Chinese take out our power grid, you are not talking about regular middle class people. You are talking about people who are already desperate and on the edge. I only brought up the 2020 riots/looting because that was a recent example of society, or certain parts of it, devolving into civil unrest due to breakdown of normalcy.
No, you are mistaken, I am absolutely talking about poor people, middle class people, and rich people. We will ALL be desperate and on edge if such a scenario happened and the power grid came down. We would be thrust into chaos if we didn't have power for weeks or months. No heat, no water, no gas, no food.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
I don't see the issue with that teacher. Race is discussed in school, as part of subjects like history, civics, social studies. Today, gender is, too. Actually it was then, too, because I remember discussing gayness in one class, but I can't recall which one. The teacher sounds concerned that parents are going to interfere in that. What's the problem? The problem is people like you are convinced (by those in power) that simply discussing these subjects is an attempt to 1. make white people feel guilty, and 2. "Groom" students to be gay (such nonsense).

You realize most teachers lead rather conservative lives, married, kids, church? Even in blue states, imagine that!
We definitely had the discussions 30 years ago- particularly with one teacher who wanted to bring cultural awareness into class. It was basically like group A has this sort of practice/ritual, group B has this one, but you might not know this if you don’t come from that particular group. She’s an African American woman who also seemed to be very in the know about the ballroom scene at the time. I can’t say anyone really questioned or cared what her sexuality was though. Her attitude was basically like “I know you don’t know about this YET because you are still young, but here are the details so you can be less clueless in the future.” I think I first worked with an openly trans person in my first real job in 1998- who was a floor manager at a call center. It was basically a nonissue. I don’t think anyone cared.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
We definitely had the discussions 30 years ago- particularly with one teacher who wanted to bring cultural awareness into class. It was basically like group A has this sort of practice/ritual, group B has this one, but you might not know this if you don’t come from that particular group. She’s an African American woman who also seemed to be very in the know about the ballroom scene at the time. I can’t say anyone really questioned or cared what her sexuality was though. Her attitude was basically like “I know you don’t know about this YET because you are still young, but here are the details so you can be less clueless in the future.” I think I first worked with an openly trans person in my first real job in 1998- who was a floor manager at a call center. It was basically a nonissue. I don’t think anyone cared.
The only thing I remember about the discussion was that one boy held some very homophobic views. But as the discussion went on, I could see how shocked he was to discover that most people in the class didn’t think like he did. He was genuinely surprised to find so many of us didn’t agree with his views (it was probably the only time he was exposed to other views). As it went in, his position softened, not because the teacher tried to convince him, but because we his peers did. I think he came out of that discussion viewing things differently. What a shame that discussion couldn’t happen today because parents would be demanding heads on a platter for “grooming” or indoctrination.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:57 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
I think it's different if you know it's temporary, as opposed to say, a Chinese space drone that takes down our system. Have you ever been in a a store when the power goes out, and they can't even let you buy anything?Society would break down into Lord of the Flies within hours. Look back at the scenes from early Covid, where people are attacking each other like animals over toilet paper. We didn't look too resilient then.
That was so bizarre! And of course the underlying problem was a false shortage created by people trying to profit from the crisis by buying trailer-loads of TB from warehouse stores and local chain stores to turn around and sell at grossly inflated prices. By the time people realized they'd need to stock up a bit at home, there was nothing available. Same with any kind of sanitizer, even hydrogen peroxide.

So ,as always, human greed threw a wrench into the works. Never underestimate the power of human foibles to sink the ship.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:29 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about temporary "someone hit a pole" power outage, and nor sure what BLM riots have to do with it, considering those were not due to shortages of anything. There are many videos of individuals fighting each other over TP, stealing it out of other people's carts, etc. People were chaotic during that time, I remember how disconcerting it was in the supermarket, when many shelves were bare, and you could tell people were barely restraining themselves from running for certain aisles when they entered the store. I found the undercurrent frightening. I think the line between civilization and animalistic behavior is a much thinner line than you do.

What do low-income people have to do with anything???

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9E48&FORM=VIRE
There were probably about 10 incidents. And the press and its DIY Tik Tok and YouTube annexes publicized these over and over and over and over until if you didn't have any common sense it might seem that society was on the verge of breakdown. Unless you used the brains God gave you and worked it out for yourself. I would see all these wild-ass videos and then I'd go down to the local grocery and - sure, there's not a lot of TP, but people are just doing their grocery shopping normally, honestly being a bit more polite than usual.

Don't believe the internet "media" when their ONLY interest is to sensationalize everything to get more and more clicks. At least when we had Murrow and Cronkite, there was a PRETENSE of objective journalism. Now? None of that.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:32 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
I think it's different if you know it's temporary, as opposed to say, a Chinese space drone that takes down our system. Have you ever been in a a store when the power goes out, and they can't even let you buy anything?Society would break down into Lord of the Flies within hours. Look back at the scenes from early Covid, where people are attacking each other like animals over toilet paper. We didn't look too resilient then.
Most of that fueled by social media....we are our own worst enemies.

Old 01-18-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
No, you are mistaken, I am absolutely talking about poor people, middle class people, and rich people. We will ALL be desperate and on edge if such a scenario happened and the power grid came down. We would be thrust into chaos if we didn't have power for weeks or months. No heat, no water, no gas, no food.
Maybe. But without all that stuff, the panic couldn't be ginned up as usual.

The day after Hurricane Sandy hit in 2012, we had no power, cable, internet, or land line. And our road was blocked by fallen trees on both ends so we could go nowhere. Local radio was out, so all we had was NYC radio. Yet nobody I knew was panicking. Because it was real life, and the monsters were not due on Maple Street.

Old 01-18-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Maybe. But without all that stuff, the panic couldn't be ginned up as usual.

The day after Hurricane Sandy hit in 2012, we had no power, cable, internet, or land line. And our road was blocked by fallen trees on both ends so we could go nowhere. Local radio was out, so all we had was NYC radio. Yet nobody I knew was panicking. Because it was real life, and the monsters were not due on Maple Street.
I went through Sandy too. No one was panicking because it was a temporary situation, and people expected it to happen.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I went through Sandy too. No one was panicking because it was a temporary situation, and people expected it to happen.
If you say so. But I'd prefer to believe it's because panic is not our natural state, even in an emergency. Which reminds me of another emergency where people didn't panic, at least after the initial shock: 9/11. Or any number of earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes.

The tendency of some children to be "offended" by subject matter they are confronted with in class, whether it's uncomfortable truths about history or racist mathematics, is engineered and unnatural. The offense is probably enhanced by social media and the cheap Attention High they can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education