Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

5,500 posts, read 7,802,995 times

Advertisements

This actually seems to be the newest technology. Yonder Pouches: https://www.axios.com/2024/03/22/yon...hools-students

and: https://www.overyondr.com/phone-locking-pouch

Probably cheaper than building cell phone lockers. The student keeps their phone on them, they just can't use them.

If these types of solutions were mandated universally, I expect the technology would quickly develop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

61,995 posts, read 87,653,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Sobering article on kids tuned out of education, lost in their cell phones:

"A Teacher Did All He Could to Keep Kids Off Phones. He’s Quitting in Frustration.
Mitchell Rutherford faced a crisis of confidence as smartphones took over his Arizona high school classroom and students lost the motivation to learn"

https://www.wsj.com/tech/personal-te...hare_permalink

He seems like he's going above and beyond to motivate students. He blames the situation on pervasive cell phone use bordering on addiction, resulting in high school kids who just don't care and spend their days watching Tik Tok videos.

This is sobering.
Not just High School students
Nowadays most kids in Elementary schools have smartphones, even kindergarten ...
TikTok is now teaching them.

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

51,066 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
The schools are ancient artifacts refusing to get with the modern age. No one wants to be lectured boring facts about a subject from a "teacher."

You can learn much more in 60 minutes on a phone than you could ever learn from a "teacher," spouting rote facts (usually without any context).
I'm already getting tired of being lectured by you, and you're not even a teacher.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,053,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatichustler View Post
Cell phones go in lockers and aren't to be seen the entire school day. Teach self control and the ability to taste life in a different way.
Is this what you do with your daughter, ed?

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

102,279 posts, read 108,356,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
That's me.

And a comment above is correct - it's consumed people of all ages. I've stopped going to shows/concerts because I can't tolerate seeing an ocean of glowing screens in front of me, ruining the performance. I can't go to my monthly book club meeting without everyone whipping out their phones and playing show & tell. I'm done.

Smartphones have made me anti-social and isolated, not because I use one, but because I don't.
You could start a no-cell-phones social group! I'll join it!

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

22,121 posts, read 13,144,536 times
Gee; imagine that! Who'da thunk it?

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,102,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You could start a no-cell-phones social group!
Yeah, I'd be the only member. Kind of like a misanthrope support group...nobody would show up because they all hate people. LOL

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

532 posts, read 252,791 times
At my kids’ high school, many of the teachers have a system where the students get an extra point on their class grade for leaving their phone in their backpack, and get a point deducted every time they take out their phone (unless specifically instructed to, of course). It winds up being more effective and less distracting than previous attempts to outright ban phones in school.

Old Today, 01:10 AM

6,810 posts, read 2,942,276 times
Quote:
The schools are ancient artifacts refusing to get with the modern age. No one wants to be lectured boring facts about a subject from a "teacher."
Oh, give me strength! We certainly don't want these 'poor privileged babies' to actually experience 'bouts of boredom', do we?

Boredom is a part of life experience.

Quote:
You can learn much more in 60 minutes on a phone than you could ever learn from a "teacher," spouting rote facts (usually without any context).
Such nonsense! How many cell phone addicts are interested in actually 'learning' something? They're addicts!

Old Today, 01:15 AM

6,810 posts, read 2,942,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearthcrafter View Post
At my kids’ high school, many of the teachers have a system where the students get an extra point on their class grade for leaving their phone in their backpack, and get a point deducted every time they take out their phone (unless specifically instructed to, of course). It winds up being more effective and less distracting than previous attempts to outright ban phones in school.
Why offer 'rewards' to curb an addiction? Just confiscate the damn phones - no ifs, ands or buts - because it's the right thing to do. The parents of these addicts should be doing the disciplining themselves anyway without this burden being placed on teachers.

Oh wait, my bad ...the parents are likely phone addicts also . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education