Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

4,747 posts, read 3,063,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
How about no cell phones in the workplace either? Adults are just as bad as kids, spending way too much time distracted by the dings and alerts on their phone while on the clock. Back in the old days, were people getting called at work fifty times a day by friends and family, just to say things like "I'm bored, what are you doing?" or talk about dinner plans? They were not.

I was training a new hire once, he was older than me, maybe 50ish. He was sitting beside me and every time I turned my head toward him as I was speaking he was looking down at his phone, tapping and scrolling away. First day on the job! I voiced my displeasure and that guy was let go within two weeks. Zero attention span.
Wow, you'd think he'd have at least pretended to be paying attention, for the sake of keeping the new job.
Is it now becoming the norm that you can fiddle with your phone while someone's talking to you...
that's no longer considered rude??

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
One reason I joined a book club is because I thought I'd be in a group of quieter people who like to read books, and actually discuss the book. Wrong-o. Half of them aren't actually reading the books, but listening to them on Audible while multi-tasking. Fine, I'm not against audio books. But that always leads to the phones being whipped out and then all these random distractions and side topics emerge...and I'm out. This heavy mind can't handle it.
Facebook seemed like an unlikely place to look for a no-smart-phones group,
but I did take a look... and found one. It's called the "No Smartphones at the Table Movement."
It was founded back in 2019, and has two members...

It's as though the techies found a security flaw in the human brain and rushed to exploit it...
and now they've infected most of the population. I'm not saying that everyone who uses
a smart phone is a phone zombie... but I'd say those who can't put the thing down,
or stare at it while walking down the street... they are. For some reason, though,
there are those of us who seem to have immunity... you, me, and Ruth4Truth, to name a few.
Perhaps one day a law will be passed to make it mandatory to own a smart phone,
to take care of stragglers like us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,717,358 times
Fla state law prohibits kids from phones during class..ok during lunch..

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

11,866 posts, read 6,218,388 times
Ohio just passed a school cell phone law, but some schools had previously cracked down on them.

These parents said that controlling cell phones

- Raised graduation rates
- Reduced bullying "a lot"

One mother said, "The first part is going to be a culture shock for students, but looking at the progress that we have had here, removing phones is one of the biggest solutions that we can have."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRub...ist=WL&index=1

Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,107,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
It's called the "No Smartphones at the Table Movement."
It was founded back in 2019, and has two members...
LOL! There ya go, doesn't surprise me at all. Which relates to your following comments, the general population LOVE their phones. Can't put 'em down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
It's as though the techies found a security flaw in the human brain and rushed to exploit it...
and now they've infected most of the population. I'm not saying that everyone who uses
a smart phone is a phone zombie... but I'd say those who can't put the thing down,
or stare at it while walking down the street... they are. For some reason, though,
there are those of us who seem to have immunity... you, me, and Ruth4Truth, to name a few.
Perhaps one day a law will be passed to make it mandatory to own a smart phone,
to take care of stragglers like us.
On the bolded, it's surely coming to that. At some point a "device" will be required to engage in everyday life, like driving a car, getting a license or other government documents, banking, traveling, etc. Like the tattoo everybody had in the movie Idiocracy.

I rarely fly and until last year hadn't been on a flight since around 2007. It's all Smartphone based, I was literally the only passenger who had printed out my ticket to board. When I got home I saw the airline had blown up my phone with a dozen text messages, which I never saw until after my trip. I was on vacation and had zero use or desire to have a phone with me.

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

17,525 posts, read 16,685,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's up to the parents, not big government.
There are lots of laws that protect children. For instance, a 15 year old can not get a job without getting their parent(s) to sign a form saying that it's o.k. for them to work.

A 15 year old can't drive without a parent in the car with them.

A 15 year old can't buy alcohol or cigarettes or work serving cocktails.

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

51,070 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are lots of laws that protect children. For instance, a 15 year old can not get a job without getting their parent(s) to sign a form saying that it's o.k. for them to work.

A 15 year old can't drive without a parent in the car with them.

A 15 year old can't buy alcohol or cigarettes or work serving cocktails.
I don't care what some laws are. I am talking about that specific law.

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I don't care what some laws are. I am talking about that specific law.
I don't think it's a big deal. Parents aren't allowed to decide to leave their 4 year old home alone unsupervised. They can't give their 12 year old the green light to have a keg party. They should certainly know what their children under 14 are doing online - who they are speaking to, how they are conducting themselves, etc.

I don't think it's a controversial law at all. It's actually what most parents do anyway.

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM

35,807 posts, read 18,143,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The article said parents are against it.

In a separate article a couple months ago, I recall reading that parents are against cell phone bans for many reasons. They want to send a text message to their kid reminding them to turn in their homework, reminding them to ask a fellow student for something, reminding them of a club meeting, telling them their father will pick them up or the neighbor will pick them up, etc. etc. They also want kids to be able to notify parents and police in the event of a shooter. etc.
They could still do that though, and the kids would see those texts during passing periods, lunch, etc.

The chance that their kids would be involved in a situation with a school shooter - and there would be nobody in the office to call police is not realistic.

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM

6,814 posts, read 2,943,702 times
Quote:
It bothers me that parents' rights are being taken away here.
However, as we are seeing with regard to this cell-phone addiction by so many children, the parents have allowed this addiction to occur because many are addicts themselves. It's gotten out of hand, hence the necessity to outsource the responsibility of 'doing something' to the lawmakers. That said, none of these laws and restrictions will 'cure' cellphone addiction anyway. It's too late. 'Cellphone zombies' have become 'the norm' and parents must take responsibility for this having occurred.

* Here in Australia cellphones are called mobile phones but the 'addictive' part is the same.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They could still do that though, and the kids would see those texts during passing periods, lunch, etc.

The chance that their kids would be involved in a situation with a school shooter - and there would be nobody in the office to call police is not realistic.
I'm guessing that if there was a school shooting or some other dangerous situation, like a fire or a tornado, that the rules would be relaxed because, obviously, instruction time would have come to an abrupt end.

Bottom line is, there is no reason for kids to be texting or otherwise playing on their phone during class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education