Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
You are not telling the truth. Peanut free classrooms have letters sent home regularly. The teachers double check labels the kids will have a shared snack from a "safe" list that is sent home. The school nurse makes frequent visits to the classroom and the tables are sanitized daily. I do not believe for one minute that you were sending peanut containing products to a peanut free classroom. If you were, SHAME ON YOU!!!!! Were trying to give the child a reaction out of spite? Maybe you are a drama queen looking to cause trouble. I have NO patience for people like you.

You're calling me a liar??? You can dislike me all you want, but I AM NO LIAR.

What about this, what you posted here is not the truth. None of it. So don't you EVER presume to know what goes on in a classroom you know nothing about. AND DON'T EVER CALL ME A LIAR AGAIN. You know NOTHING.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
[quote=SuSuSushi;5303513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post

I didn't write that.
I didn't either, there is a problem with the way things are being quoted.

mrstewart has notified the moderator.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM

38 posts, read 79,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post

What about this, what you posted here is not the truth. None of it. So don't you EVER presume to know what goes on in a classroom you know nothing about. AND DON'T EVER CALL ME A LIAR AGAIN. You know NOTHING.
What scares me about this is that given your original post that this child had no reaction when your child constantly brought in peanut butter so this child's reactions just must be trumped up..is that that child could have had a reaction. That child could have died because of your child eating peanut butter. Your child would have had to witness that because YOU did not follow the rules. And that you really seem to take that lightly.

What scares me is that there are people with this way of thinking who also think, I'll slip the kid some peanut butter to prove this is made up. Those people go to jail.

Regarding other food allergies and bans. Sure, there are tons of allergies out there. But I would suggest you "educate" yourself on allergies in general before making statements. You are not a doctor, you do not have a food allergic child, so I can only assume that you have no idea of what you are talking about except to be against something you are not even educated on.

We are discussing life threatening allergies here, not all allergies. I think it's ignorant to state or assume that there would be masses of people life threatening allergic to some of the things you list. Lactose intolerant is not life threatening and if people would only educate themselves on the difference.

Facts:
Pnut allergy is one of the most deadly allergies and one of the most common in school aged children. There is a residue and cleaning issue.

Yes there are others things that cause life threatening allergies. However, currently pnut seems to be the biggest problem in schools. And for the record, I am not against a ban on any thing should a child need that medically. But I think it's over reacting to assume that would mean a ban on all things in all schools. It would be a school by school kid by kid basis. And if we are such a minority than you shouldn't have to worry b/c that means there would not be a lot of food allergic kids at your school.

I could play devils advocate and say that a child just needs to eat a certain food that may offend the masses but just has to have it medically or culturally or from an affordable standpoint...like many of you state with peanuts. I don't know how about dog, insects, monkey brains. Based on your stance I'll assume you'd be okay with that until YOUR child comes home upset.

Lastly, bans ARE happening all over the place. Work places are accommodating their employees with no perfume policies, certain foods are restricted from the microwave for the airborne food allergic. Bathrooms ARE using unscented soaps. It's the law to accommodate disabilities. Perhaps you should find a different country to live in that has your low tolerance for the human species....and see how long you last.

Good god people, educate yourself.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:06 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
I agree.

Exactly what is the difference?? Between banning peanuts and peanut products and banning milk and dairy? If those parents rose up and demanded, there would be no peanut products, milk, dairy... That right there eliminates a huge portion of an average diet for a lot of kids.

Then all you need is a child with celiac disease to illiminate all gluten products from schools and there you go. A foodless school. That would solve EVERYBODY's allergy problems.

Wait, as someone else pointed out, there could be a ban on wool, silk and cotton since some children are allergic to those as well. That would solve the problem of having to clothe our kids before we put them on the bus.

To all the peanut allergy children out there, how reasonable would it be to have all peanut products, all milk and dairy, and all gluten products banned from YOUR child's classroom?? You would say all you care about is the peanut products. The parent of the child allergic to the milk and dairy would say their concern is the milk and dairy products, and the celiac parent would say what THEY want out is the gluten products..

ALL can be deadly to children with these allergies, but all I have ever heard about banning, is the peanut products.

Hmmmm How is it that nobody else expects the world to revolve around THEIR child's allergies???
First of all, everyone's opinion is relevant.

Second of all, I can see what you are saying, and that is why we need to carefully determine what accommodations can be made that will be sustainable and feasible in the long run if the allergies keep increasing.

This is why I don't believe in entire schools being peanut free. Because of what might happen next.

But that does not mean that accommodations cannot be made.

Before people attack one another, maybe the question at this point should be, what level of accommodations do you believe should be made, if any?

Do you agree with a peanut free table?

What do you suggest should be done.

All I am saying is, we shouldn't be jumping down each other's throats here, we are too busy doing that without even knowing people's positions on the issue, which is what this situation seems to be about.

p.S. boy would i love to know how you do that multi quote thing!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:36 AM

613 posts, read 991,624 times
Quote:
I agree.

Exactly what is the difference?? Between banning peanuts and peanut products and banning milk and dairy? If those parents rose up and demanded, there would be no peanut products, milk, dairy... That right there eliminates a huge portion of an average diet for a lot of kids.

Then all you need is a child with celiac disease to illiminate all gluten products from schools and there you go. A foodless school. That would solve EVERYBODY's allergy problems.

Wait, as someone else pointed out, there could be a ban on wool, silk and cotton since some children are allergic to those as well. That would solve the problem of having to clothe our kids before we put them on the bus.

To all the peanut allergy children out there, how reasonable would it be to have all peanut products, all milk and dairy, and all gluten products banned from YOUR child's classroom?? You would say all you care about is the peanut products. The parent of the child allergic to the milk and dairy would say their concern is the milk and dairy products, and the celiac parent would say what THEY want out is the gluten products..

ALL can be deadly to children with these allergies, but all I have ever heard about banning, is the peanut products.

Hmmmm How is it that nobody else expects the world to revolve around THEIR child's allergies???
For some children, milk is a life threatening allergy. If my children were not allowed to bring milk in their classroom because a child might die if the milk spilled and the child touched it, I wouldn't DREAM of sending in the milk or arguing the point with the school.

Gluten is not life threatening. I have celiac's disease and as long as I don't eat it I am fine. I can touch wheat products and nothing will happen to me. If I eat gluten, I will feel ill, but I would not die.

Peanut residue from sticky peanut butter can quickly cover surfaces when a classroom of children are eating peanut butter, and the residue is not easily cleaned by just wiping with a rag. Milk, on the other hand, can be easily wiped up. (Still, I would not send my children to drink milk in their classroom if a child with a severe milk allergy was in their room.)

This is may be why peanuts and peanut allergies are treated more cautiously.

Like momofjandl said, things are usually decided on a school by school, child by child basis.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:02 AM

697 posts, read 2,015,434 times
None of you will ever see things from my perspective, and I will never see things from yours. My child has the freedom of going to school, as yours does. My child also has the freedom of taking what she will eat to school, as does yours. Nothing will ever make that different.

A public school is just that; public, not police. When more taxes are paid by those who want special treatment, then make all the demands you want. Until then, my child will take what I send with her to school.

I'm finished with this thread. I'm sick of your high and mighty attitudes that in order for my child to go to school, she has to do it following your rules. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Okay, here's my position on this:

1. I do not support a school-wide ban.
2. I support a massive information campaign.
3. I support designating a peanut ONLY table or tables. For parents who want to send peanut butter or peanut based food occasionally, then the kids can sit in the peanut only table that day . They have the option to sit at the ANYTHING BUT PEANUT tables on days they don't have peanut products. This way the kids with allergies are not isolated, and the peanut eating kids can stay with the other peanut-loving kids. They can even plan to have peanut butter sessions with their friends. I look at this like a smoking vs non-smoking issue...you can choose where you want to sit, provided you follow the rules. It will probably be a logistical nightmare for younger grades as teachers like to designate sitting areas, but oh well, I tried!

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 09-17-2008 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:

My Son and Daughter have peanut allergies, so I know more about the peanut free classroom then you. Obviously.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
None of you will ever see things from my perspective, and I will never see things from yours. My child has the freedom of going to school, as yours does. My child also has the freedom of taking what she will eat to school, as does yours. Nothing will ever make that different.

A public school is just that; public, not police. When more taxes are paid by those who want special treatment, then make all the demands you want. Until then, my child will take what I send with her to school.

I'm finished with this thread. I'm sick of your high and mighty attitudes that in order for my child to go to school, she has to do it following your rules. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
I would say the high and mighty attitude comes from those that refuse to see that there are laws that protect those with disabilities. I have yet to see one post from you where you address and either agree or disagree that there ARE laws to protect those with disabilities. Back your side of the debate up with valid information rather than what you feel is YOUR right. I have and have given multiple resources to reference.

So you can of course be finished with this thread because you don't have anything legit to back yourself up with except that YOU feel "entitled" to do whatever it is you want in life at the expense of everyone else regardless of laws.

Of course I don't understand your perspective. Your perspective here has been that there should be NO school accommodations for food allergic children. That it's my problem and no one else. YOU are unwilling to see that many of us are making and offering compromises. YOU refuse to make any compromises. So yeah, calling the kettle black again.

Glad to see you are finished here and glad you realized there is nothing to back up your personal side of the debate. As you can see from my posts I have asked my school for basic accommodations and many of them have been granted because it is the law.

I encourage you to run for public office if you feel so strongly. Good luck getting any votes, as many people in our country have disabilities that are covered under law.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Okay, here's my position on this:

1. I do not support a school-wide ban.
2. I support a massive information campaign.
3. I support designating a peanut ONLY table or tables. For parents who want to send peanut butter or peanut based food occasionally, then the kids can sit in the peanut only table that day . They have the option to sit at the ANYTHING BUT PEANUT tables on days they don't have peanut products. This way the kids with allergies are not isolated, and the peanut eating kids can stay with the other peanut-loving kids. They can even plan to have peanut butter sessions with their friends. I look at this like a smoking vs non-smoking issue...you can choose where you want to sit, provided you follow the rules. It will probably be a logistical nightmare for younger grades as teachers like to designate sitting areas, but oh well, I tried!
Thank you for stating your position and opinion in a civil manner. And thank you for your support for some accommodations rather than none period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education