Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

^^^Your points are well-taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:48 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're going a little far with your own insults for showing no proof. SHOW me these "high insults", "horrible" assumptions, "stereotypes" and "inaccuracies".

Just coming on this thread and telling people why what they have chosen to do is not good, is insulting enough. I don't need to go through your posts to quote every single thing you've said (and there were many). I don't go on threads talking about public school and telling people why it's not a good idea. I don't go on threads about cats and tell people what is wrong with having cats because I don't like them.

I have been wondering why you are so argumentive about this subject, especially when it has nothing to do with you. But then I realized, and I'm sorry, you probably wanted to homeschool yourself and can't for some reason. So rather than embrace and support those who do (asking questions to try and understand), you would rather insult them. I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore.

I stand by my decision to homeschool. Nothing you have said gives me an inkling of doubt about my decision, but rather, as I've said before, reinforces my decision. Nothing you have said is fact. You are not homeschooling. You don't know how it is.

I hope you can find it in your heart to be more accepting and open to others who do things differently from you. Good day.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:06 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,897 times
I have just started homeschooling this year. So my girls have had public schools experience. And i must say, if you ask them and many do. Wether they like homeschooling v. public..they will tell you for them, its homeschool. They even mention that im tougher on them than public school teachers. They still keep in contact with their friends, however my oldest who is 12, stated, "boy im glad i dont have to deal with all the drama" lol. They are able to work at their own pace. If they have troubles, we stop and discuss it together.
There are going to be people who we run into that does not approve of homeschooling, and feels the need to express why YOU shouldnt. Let's not indulge them, by responding and arguing. Just smile, say okay thats good to know..and keep going. They dont know you, or your child/children. And for those of us who have chosen homeschooling, Be proud of that.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I don't believe I have told anyone that they shouldn't home school. Every educational option has its pros and cons. The purpose of this forum is to discuss ideas. As beanandpumpkin said, the drama stuff goes on even in the homeschool crowd. It's unfortunately a part of growing up.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,569 times
I have not read every single post, but there seems to be so much hostility here.

I'm a teacher and I'm NOT against home schooling. I think that parents should be able to care for their own children in any manner that they see fit (as long as the child is not harmed). Some children who are home schooled will be successful. Some children that attend public school will be successful, as will children who attend private school.

There should be some regulation. A parent who home schools should be required to have a college education, perferably a degree. Even if they do not have a degree, they should at least be required to take certain courses.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:05 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
My apologies for not reading this thread a little more often. Let's review the terms of service (again).

//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
"Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY."

Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,569 times
I wasn't attacking anyone.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:45 PM

Sam, I was not talking to you, but to many of the other posters on this thread.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that homeschooling is great but as other posters have mentioned, the teacher should know the material inside and out. I like the idea of having someone with a background in the subject area teaching the children, not a parent just learning the material for the first time. I also think that there should be some sort of screening for a parent to teach HS subjects. Going to a Community College is a great option.

Someone mentioned several pages back about teacher qualifications for AP classes. I don't know if this is a recent thing or something I just became aware of, but teachers do need to be certified to teach AP classes by the College Board. I know that in the past the teacher skill in the AP's could be very uneven, and I guess the certification was meant to weed out the bad teachers: https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ On this link https://apcourseaudit.epiconline.org/ledger/ you can see if your HS, or the one your kids may go to, has certified teachers.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I have not read every single post, but there seems to be so much hostility here.

I'm a teacher and I'm NOT against home schooling. I think that parents should be able to care for their own children in any manner that they see fit (as long as the child is not harmed). Some children who are home schooled will be successful. Some children that attend public school will be successful, as will children who attend private school.

There should be some regulation. A parent who home schools should be required to have a college education, perferably a degree. Even if they do not have a degree, they should at least be required to take certain courses.
I could see imposing some regulations on parents if they were teaching 25 different learning styles, but when it's just one or two kids, and they're your kids, and you know them better than anyone does, that just wouldn't make sense. Especially for people who lean toward "unschooling", who want to steer away from institutions all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education