Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:29 PM

609 posts, read 1,174,396 times

Advertisements

in england they are teaching sex ed to 5 year old. kinda perverted i think. theres no reason to explain that to them at such a young age which will only cause problems. the example on bbc was of a small child (5yrs old) saying "women have boobs and boys dont" in which the teacher corrected by saying breasts.

can anyone else imagine whats next? that same kid on the news for poking another girl in that area and saying "you have boobs". they suspend him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 04:40 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times
I'm not an advocate for teaching sex to 5 year olds. However, you don't want children to be embarassed about their body. Children should call body parts by the correct names. So, the teacher was correct.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:56 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,068 times
Yes. children are being pushed too hard. I am really distressed over year 'round school years. When do they have time to learn what it is to be human or think about what they have learned and how it fits into their lives? Kids need time off, too.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Year round school kids do get time off. They just don't get a two month chunk off.

Year Round Education - attending school year round
"Generally, it means that schools will continue to operate on a 180 day system, yet they will spread these days out differently with shorter breaks between each term. The most popular example of year round education is the 45-15 plan. This has students attending school 45 days and then getting three weeks (15 days) off."

Old 10-25-2008, 11:16 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
I was taught pre-algebra and geometry in the six grade. The geometry and basic algebra techniques began in the fifth grade at my school. There were even a few kids who were taken aside during math hour to do full blown high-school level algebra.

Geometry, in and of itself, is pretty basic math. Nothing really surprising about teaching it to elementary school children. I would be worried if they weren't taught it. Now, it would be completely different if they were being taught trig, or even worse, analytical geometry. But hey, that would be very impressive, though.

Other then that I think that kids are coming of age a bit faster these days. I see too many 12, 13, 14 year old girls walking around dressed like hoochie mommas and boys around that same age who think that they are some kind of mac daddy. I blame the parents, though. These kids are not being taught to respect themselves or others, which sadly seems to be a mannerism that is quickly going the way of the dodo (and yes, I do understand that there young kids who dress like hoods but are in fact really well behaved and quite respectable)

Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Year round school kids do get time off. They just don't get a two month chunk off.

Year Round Education - attending school year round
"Generally, it means that schools will continue to operate on a 180 day system, yet they will spread these days out differently with shorter breaks between each term. The most popular example of year round education is the 45-15 plan. This has students attending school 45 days and then getting three weeks (15 days) off."
Douglas County, Colorado has had yr round elementary schools for years. Everyone gets 6 wks off in the summer, long enough for kids to get a decent break, get bored, and want to go back to school. There are various tracks, some get a little longer off in summer. The middle and high schools are on regular 9 month schedules. Most parents like it.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I think so.Its just the world howe days and all the influences o TV and movies. +Heck;most of them really missout on being being a 12-15 year old. The atmoshere at many7 schools is n ot very good these days either.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,374 times
not at all. especially in rich communities kids are driving merecedez and bmws when they havent even worked for it and are failing in high school as well as using their allowance on drugs like marijuana and oxycontin.
i unfortunately was raised by a single mother who hardly fed me thus i had to grow up very early and start taking care of myself.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I teach in the south Bronx--NYC's most notorious slum. It's amazing the language my 1st graders know. They know things I didn't know until I was about 14 years old, and that wasn't all that long ago since I'm 24.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:45 PM

274 posts, read 606,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
not at all. especially in rich communities kids are driving merecedez and bmws when they havent even worked for it and are failing in high school as well as using their allowance on drugs like marijuana and oxycontin.
i unfortunately was raised by a single mother who hardly fed me thus i had to grow up very early and start taking care of myself.
haha- my mother took me to the bank to open a savings account when I was 6 and said "when you are 16 you are going to want a car and I am not getting you one. Start saving now."

I ended up not getting the car and walking everywhere instead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education