Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,639,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I am not bugged by an individuals existence. I'm bugged that the existance of the baby allows someone who entered this country illegally to stay. People who come here illegally, need to be sent back to where they came from. If I entered another country, illegally, I'd expect to be deported. I wouldn't expect that I would get to stay provided I managed to deliver a baby there first.

They are free to have as many kids as they want. I just don't think they should be US citizens when there parents were in the country illegally.
So come up with a term for the parent who has committed the crime. Don't blame the baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 12:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
So come up with a term for the parent who has committed the crime. Don't blame the baby.
Ok, how about "mother of an anchor baby"? No one is blaming the baby. The baby, however, anchors the mother to the U.S. Hence the term.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Ok, how about "mother of an anchor baby"? No one is blaming the baby. The baby, however, anchors the mother to the U.S. Hence the term.
Bigoted language is still bigoted language.

Whatever, Ivory.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:56 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Can you explain why countries that are successful teaching teach both a longer day and a longer school year?

Why do you think we can do in 3/4 the time what other countries take a third again as much time to do than us?

When you see that something is working somewhere else, it makes no sense to do it differently and expect the same results.
Examples would be welcome. Perhaps you can start with the enormous success enjoyed by NCLB, the Kennedy-Bush boilermaker.

Our test scores started declining in the 60s and 70s, when PC entered the national bloodstream and poisoned its mind.

I have less a problem with increased school-time if there is any convincing evidence that the illegally federalized US education system would undergo structural revisions going in the direction of provable improvement.

As anyone who's seen government in action can plainly see, this +time would be nothing but another boondoggle adding more bureaucrats, more inane rules from above, less local control, and more PC poison.

How any bureaucratic boondoggle will increase students' interest in learning, or add to their fund of knowledge or thinking and reasoning skills, is highly questionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Bigoted language is still bigoted language.

Whatever, Ivory.
?? How can describing an anchor baby as an anchor baby be bigoted??

Oh wait, if anyone disagrees, they're racist. Now that's original.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
?? How can describing an anchor baby as an anchor baby be bigoted??

Oh wait, if anyone disagrees, they're racist. Now that's original.
"How can describing a Sp*c as a Sp*c be bigoted?"

Same question.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

As anyone who's seen government in action can plainly see, this +time would be nothing but another boondoggle adding more bureaucrats, more inane rules from above, less local control, and more PC poison.

How any of that will increase students' interest in learning, or in adding to their fund of knowledge or thinking and reasoning skills is highly questionable.
I believe the reason that Asian countries do better overall in education is due to the fact that education excellence is reminded to the children all the time. To do less than that is to bring shame upon one's family and self. While that may be the extreme case for certain Asian families, Asian families in general raise their children to value education as something not to be taken for granted. Drum roll in the reinforced speeches about Asian parents working hard to raise their children and their children should work hard so they don't have to suffer, financially, in the future

I think if the parents of other countries took this "guilt-trip" approach to their children, I'm sure their test grades would come out better. A huge chunk of Americans drop out of high school, which is scary. Where's the parental guide?

Old 10-03-2009, 03:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
I believe the reason that Asian countries do better overall in education is due to the fact that education excellence is reminded to the children all the time. To do less than that is to bring shame upon one's family and self. While that may be the extreme case for certain Asian families, Asian families in general raise their children to value education as something not to be taken for granted. Drum roll in the reinforced speeches about Asian parents working hard to raise their children and their children should work hard so they don't have to suffer, financially, in the future

I think if the parents of other countries took this "guilt-trip" approach to their children, I'm sure their test grades would come out better. A huge chunk of Americans drop out of high school, which is scary. Where's the parental guide?
That is also the attitude that is responsible for higher suicide rates. While we should be encouraging our children to attain educational excellence, I don't think we should be pressuring them. A longer school day and year is something we can do towards that goal. A society will spend money on things it values.

I agree that parents need to pass to their children valuing of education. One of the best predictors of child educational outcomes is maternal education at the time a child is born. If mom valued education enough to get one herself and put it first, most likely she'll pass that value on to her children.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
One of the best predictors of child educational outcomes is maternal education at the time a child is born. If mom valued education enough to get one herself and put it first, most likely she'll pass that value on to her children.
I'm sorry, but maternal education is far behind father's income as a determinant of educational outcomes.

For that matter, religion and religious attendance are also better predictors.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:31 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,492 times
Quote:
That is also the attitude that is responsible for higher suicide rates. While we should be encouraging our children to attain educational excellence, I don't think we should be pressuring them. A longer school day and year is something we can do towards that goal. A society will spend money on things it values.

I agree that parents need to pass to their children valuing of education. One of the best predictors of child educational outcomes is maternal education at the time a child is born. If mom valued education enough to get one herself and put it first, most likely she'll pass that value on to her children.
Well, that too They have the right idea, just wrong approach. There needs to be a balance of encouragement, lax, and firm footing in teaching children. Sadly, the general child populace in America are not getting this told to them.

As for a longer school year, it is generally not advisable. Starting middle school, a teen starts school at 7:30 am and ends at 3:30pm with a 45 minute lunch break (and 10 minute passing period for each class). That's roughly 6 hours of education each day, 7 subjects worth of homework, spanned over a 5 day period each week. And that's not including commute time or extracurricular activities.

Finally, I think you meant to state parental/maternal upbringing. A father's/mother's education does not play part in determining her child's educational level. It is her/his values on education that will influence whether the child will reach for higher education

Old 10-03-2009, 06:00 PM

I voted for President Obama, but not on the basis of his education "policies." It was clear to me then and is clear to me now that he views students like products and schools like factories.

Merely extending our current practices to more days per year will do little positive and many things negative for our educational system and for the students in it.

If the goal is to increase the drop-out rate, the idea is a good one.

If the idea is to devastate the tourist and summer camp industries, this is a good way to do it.

If the goal is to increase local and/or state taxes, this is a good way to do it.

Do I think we need to make some changes to our schools and our curriculum? Absolutely. Do I think the Obama education 'plan' will do the job? Not on your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education