Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

I'd be careful of buying any cheap land unseen..... but for those who are interested, I have this bridge for sale.... still, I wish I would have bought some of that cheap land out there on Montana or before George Dieter years ago when it looked worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM

262 posts, read 910,615 times
Default Beware of land rip off in Hudspeth county

For all interested in buying cheap land, here is a article in the El Paso Times, August 12, 2008.

SAVE YOUR MONEY DO NOT BUY CHEAP LAND IN HUDSPETH COUNTY!!!

Lure of land gives way to frustration
By Brandi Grissom

SIERRA BLANCA -- Weathered skin hanging over her petite frame, June Ellingson says she is happy with the desert home that leaves her perched precariously close to death nearly every day.

"It's quiet, peaceful," she says, flashing a two-toothed grin. "I can look out and see the stars at night and almost count them as they pop out."

Into the Sunset

The Ellingsons first bought land from Sunset Ranches in about 2001 and moved to the desert from South Dakota.

They were lured by the company's ad in a local penny saver.... Lure of land gives way to frustration - El Paso Times

Last edited by Jammie; 08-12-2008 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: had to trim it down to a couple sentences and the link~copyright issues

Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 18,007 times
do a google search for land in hudpseth county and you will find a story in today's el paso times about what rip off the land is. It has no water and the area gets less than 9 inches of rain a year. there are no utilities in most of these developments. people buy this stuff and then come out here and most the time can never even find the lot. the newspaper story recites the story of one poor guy who died trying to find his lot.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Late to the party....

I'm late on this, but YES, it is a rip-off in the truest sense of the word. Illegal, no, but you must read up on the tactics they use, and they conveniently forget to tell you that your lot is in the middle of thousands of other lots, with no public access.

In othe words, you may not be able to build a road to get to it, it is locked by other lots. You will never get a right away from your neighbors. Even if you did, you'd be building a road for all the other people who are in the same boat.

If you look up the tax records in Hudspeth County, you will see many of these lots are sold, and taxes deliquent because people could not get rid of them; this is why you will also see many people trying to dump them on Ebay, or other places because they realized they paid good money for something that is somewhat worthless.

As with anything, don't ever dish out money for something sight unseen. You won't have anyone to blame but yourself. Consider yourself warned.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
"It's quiet, peaceful," she says, flashing a two-toothed grin. "I can look out and see the stars at night and almost count them as they pop out."
Yes -- it's not to say this couldn't be an okay enough deal for someone -- but just make sure you know what you're buying and why you want to buy it. It sounds pretty good for peace and quiet but a lot of people would not like living out there.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 49,882 times
Default Just a thought

This was in a paper here a couple of days ago.

In Arizona I was a Realtor working land sales and this caught my eye. Seen this out there in Arizona also.

Lure of land gives way to frustration - El Paso Times

Mitmont

Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Read the EBay guide on real estate- and the EP TImes story. Its junk land and the buyers are suckers. When they finally see their land they stop paying. The sellers get it back cheaply and sell it again. BIG RIP OFF

Whenever you bid on JUST A DOWNPAYMENT its not a real auction.

That land is worth about $25 per acre at most.

Investing in EL Paso itself may be a great idea but this isn't EP

Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
zix

79 posts, read 371,003 times
http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_10171345

County needs more control of land sales, official says
By Brandi Grissom / Austin Bureau
Article Launched: 08/12/2008 12:00:00 AM MDT

SIERRA BLANCA -- County Judge Rebecca Dean Walker says lawmakers could help Hudspeth County stop dodgy land developments by empowering potential buyers with information and giving counties more control over land sales.
Earlier this summer, County Commissioner Wayne West took that message to lawmakers at the Texas Capitol.
One of the biggest problems for Hudspeth County, he says, is that landowners come to the commissioners demanding the cash-strapped county provide water, electricity and road maintenance to properties that never should have been sold.
"People buy these properties thinking there's infrastructure in place," he says. "They think they're getting a good deal."
He asked lawmakers to give counties authority to stop the sale of lots larger than five acres that are unsafe for residential use.
Dean Walker says sellers should also be required to disclose what it would really take to get water, electricity and other utilities on the land and how far the property is from the nearest school and post office.
State Sen. Eddie Lucio, D-Brownsville, chairman of the Senate International Relations and Trade Committee, says he has been trying for years to pass laws that would give counties more authority to regulate development in rural areas.
"We have to give the commissioners court a little bit of teeth," he says.
He promises to try again when legislators meet next year.
"We have a very serious problem," Lucio says, "and people are really being taken for a ride and then dumped."
Brandi Grissom may be reached at bgrissom@elpasotimes.com; 512-479-6606.
//////////
http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_10171343?source=most_viewed
Dreams melt in the Sunset
Lure of land gives way to frustration
By Brandi Grissom / Austin Bureau
Article Launched: 08/12/2008 12:00:00 AM MDT

Click photo to enlargeSunset Ranches resident June Ellingson stands in front of her home... (Mark Lambie / El Paso Times)«123»
Related: County needs more control of land sales
SIERRA BLANCA -- Weathered skin hanging over her petite frame, June Ellingson says she is happy with the desert home that leaves her perched precariously close to death nearly every day.
But when night gives way to another scorching day, Ellingson and her husband, Terry, start a daily struggle for survival miles from water, electricity and other humans on 20 acres they thought would be their little piece of the American dream.
The Ellingsons are one of hundreds who came to Hudspeth County after purchasing a cheap "ranch" they learned about online or in newspaper advertisements. But instead of the American dream, these property owners find barren, barely habitable scrubland. Most give up, leaving behind a desert dotted with dilapidated dream homes and lost life savings.
The dry, dusty, isolated swaths of desert where June Ellingson and her former neighbors bought land seem a far cry from the idyllic setting described on the Web site for Sunset Ranches, one of the biggest so-called land developers in the area.
Photos show a windmill, a watering hole, a happy family roasting marshmallows over a campfire. Stores, theaters and restaurants are just a short
jaunt away in El Paso, according to the Web site.
"The El Paso area is a thriving center of shopping, dining and entertainment. Near your property, you can easily find lots of fun and good food," the Web site advertises.
Hudspeth County Judge Rebecca Dean Walker has been trying for years to stop the sale of these remnants of what were once sprawling, working cattle ranches. She has asked the sellers to be more forthcoming about their products, sought legal intervention from the Texas Attorney General and begged lawmakers for help.
But there's nothing illegal about what many of the sellers do with the large parcels of land. The land business has exploded in Hudspeth County as more people buy and sell property online. Some of the deals are illegal under Texas anti-colonia laws, but the financially strapped county has few resources to slow down what has become a booming industry.
"Hudspeth County has probably been victimized the most in the state of Texas by these kinds of sales," says the county's chief tax appraiser, Zedoch "Sandy" Pridgeon.
Into the Sunset
The Ellingsons first bought land from Sunset Ranches in about 2001 and moved to the desert from South Dakota.
They were lured by the company's ad in a local penny saver. It said they could own 20 acres for just $99 down and $99 a month.
"That was one of our biggest dreams, to buy some land," says June Ellingson, 47, whose weary features seem to belong to someone many years older. "You couldn't beat the price."
But like many who buy land out here and try to make a go of it, the Ellingsons didn't have much money.
With only her husband's disability checks for income, June Ellingson says, they couldn't keep up with the cost of the land while supporting their teenage boys and driving them dozens of miles into town for school every day.
So, they joined the nearly two-thirds of Sunset Ranch customers the county tax appraiser estimates default on their payments.
"They repo'd it," she says.
After losing their land, the family moved into Fabens but decided to move back because it was cheaper.
Now that the boys are grown and living in the Fort Worth area, the Ellingsons live in a tiny gray house about 70 miles east of El Paso.
They have no electricity, no running water, no transportation.
Every week or so, Ellingson's husband, who is 61, takes a backpack and some water and walks 20 miles into Fabens to charge the cell phone. It's their only means of communication with the outside world.
"The only thing we worry about is one of us getting bit by a rattler," she says.
With their seven dogs, the Ellingsons subsist on disability checks and about $100 a month in food stamps, which isn't enough to feed them.
A man the couple knows only as "Benito" each week delivers water, dog food and even gives them cash sometimes. Once, he brought chickens.
"If it wasn't for him, we couldn't stay here," she says, glancing over her shoulder at a panting black mutt lying in the dirt, seeking relief from the noontime heat in the shadow of its small doghouse.
It's tough living out here, and they have nearly run out of water a few times. Life on their Sunset Ranch isn't quite the dream the Ellingsons imagined, but she says she's learning how to make it.
She's raising a few chickens that give them eggs. And she's struggling to keep a garden growing. It still has six onions even after critters got into it, she says proudly.
"I'm a very stubborn person," she says, "and I'm staying."
But many Sunset Ranch customers haven't been so determined.
The desert is littered with refuse from their forsaken attempts.
Thousands of tires are piled in a lot where the previous owners planned to use them to build a home.
On one lot, falling-down animal pens, horse skulls and scattered bones, and a trashed trailer are left over from an owner who raised wolves. One day he decided he'd had enough, let the pens open and headed for greener pastures. Jars of pickles and mustard still sit in the flung-open refrigerator.
Driving on rough roads that Sunset Roads carved out of the desert, some grown over and others washed out, crumbling homes, half-built cinder block structures, weather-beaten campers and recreational vehicles speckle the landscape.
Some customers have left more than trash behind.
Gregory Pederson drove from California in 2005 to visit the land he bought. When he didn't call after a few days, his wife got worried and called the local sheriff.
After searching the maze of roads nearly all day, officers found a beige Toyota with Pederson's body and dozens of empty pill bottles inside.
"Obviously, it was a mistake to try these 'roads' É paths on anything except 4WD or a dirtbike," he wrote in a suicide note. "But the Web site did say guaranteed access. Once again, I am abandoned of common sense."
Land rush
Sunset Ranches owner Jack Giacalone declined to be interviewed for this story, saying that his company had been in Hudspeth County 16 years and that he has had plenty of conversations with county officials.
Giacalone's operation does not fall under colonia laws in Texas that prohibit the sale of property without utilities in the border region and apply only to lots smaller than five acres. The lots Sunset Ranches sells are 20 acres or larger.
A "property owner's information guide" that potential customers can download from the Web site lets them know they will have to pay to get utilities on the land.
It says getting a water tank would cost about $2,600, and filling it every month would take about $85. Or the landowner could pay for a well, for which the cost "will vary."
Randy Barker, manager of Hudspeth County Underground Water Conservation District No. 1, said it could cost $10,000 -- at the low end -- to dig and install a well, and there's no guarantee the pipes will produce water.
Sandy Pridgeon, Hudspeth County's chief tax appraiser, has an entire cabinet filled with Sunset Ranches transactions. He estimates Sunset Ranches has some 250,000 acres in the county, and when customers default on their loans, he said, the company buys the land and sells it again.
Giacalone, he says, is among the top 10 taxpayers in the county.
He calls Sunset Ranches one of the better land sellers in Hudspeth County. With the advent of online sales, speculators and investors have started buying and selling land at an alarming rate.
The county has about 3,000 residents, but his department mails out some 53,000 property tax bills every year to people all over the world.
"There's something wrong with those numbers," he says.
Some landowners, he says, probably couldn't even find Hudspeth County on a map.
They just buy the title so that they can turn around and sell the land for a higher price to someone else.
"People will go out and just get their hands on anything so they can resell it," Pridgeon says.
At least Sunset Ranches sells property that has been platted and provides land deeds.
Others just sell land on eBay or other Web sites without filing the legal paperwork.
Most sellers, Pridgeon says, are smart enough to at least sell plots larger than five acres to avoid anti-colonia regulations. But some do not.
"We've got places in Hudspeth County where people are selling 25-by-100-foot lots that you can't even get to," he says.
The Texas Attorney General's office has filed a lawsuit against one landowner who sold smaller lots without utilities in Hudspeth County, but Pridgeon says there are many more.
County Judge Rebecca Dean Walker said she doesn't have a problem with developers.
She has a problem with people putting their lives in danger and squandering their money to chase illusory promises from unscrupulous developers.
"I resent it," she says, "and I resent it for the poor people."
She has a problem with piles of rubbish all over her county.
She has a problem with spending county money to hire more staff to send out thousands of tax bills, some as small as $5.
And County Sheriff Arvin West has a problem with irate landowners who get lost and come to his office wanting help to find their new home in the middle of the desert.
"My first reaction is a big smile," he says, "and I tell them, 'Welcome to nowhere.' "
Brandi Grissom may be reached at bgrissom@elpasotimes.com; 512-479-6606.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:17 PM

28 posts, read 131,793 times
Well that all depends what your looking for. The climate is very different. I came from indiana to hudspeth county texas, east of elpaso. I like it here. Its not a rip off. If your rugged and can handle the out doors. You have to haul your water in many places, go solar, wind, or generator for power, you get back where i am in sunset ranches the roads are pretty rough, not something i'd drive a nice car in, i have an suv and a pick up. I live 10 miles back off of 62/180, south between farm roads 2317 and 1111. Some of the sunset ranches go from 62/180 cornudus to i10 in serria blanca. Much drier climate but we have had about 3 inches over our normal in this area of rain. You must know it doesnt rain down it rains sideways, we are going thru our monsoon season now and it is a lot of rain and flooding, depending on your location. If you buy, buy in sunset ranches off 62/180. Sunset ranches is going now 20 acres for 15,900. The closer to el paso you go say 5 aceres can reach 29,000. Dont buy off ebay, go straight to sunset ranches, llc.com. If your interested email me at cart6940@aol.com and i will try to help you out with some locations, communities and sites to go to,

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM

28 posts, read 131,793 times
Yeah for sunset ranches im off the 62/180 corridor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso