Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 10,648 times

Advertisements

I just registered on city-data, and hope to find someone who actually lives in Sunset Ranches, because I am concidering buy there too. Yes it is desert without anything, utilities, probably harsh wind, sand, snakes and who knows what else. But many people who bought and stayed are making a go of it there. I would like it to take our grandkids out there on day trips, picnic and let them run their hearts out. My concern is the distance to medical facilities should one of us require it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 10,648 times
hi, do you know anyone or any parcels that a private party would like to get rid of. I would like to find something near the intersection where the office used to be. there is a mobil home in fenced yard, and across the road is a 2 story house. nice to hear you like it, we would too for recreational.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:39 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,843 times
I just watched "No Country For Old Men". I ain't moving out there.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:03 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,316 times
I think it's important to remember that RANCHERS in the SW have lived "off the grid" for a long time now, going back to before there was electricity and indoor plumbing. People today have all sorts of latter-day technologies to help them live "off the grid." Wind generators, solar cells, more efficient storage batteries, reverse-osmosis water purifiers, etc etc.

As an aside, YOUTUBE has a bunch of videos under the heading "off the grid." Here is the advertising trailer for a one-hour documentary that has won various awards for its Indie film producers:

Life on the MESA

Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 PM

24 posts, read 57,424 times
NEVER buy land without looking at it! All that cheap land on ebay is way out in the desert. It's ugly flat hard ground with hard dirt, rocks and nothing else. No water, utilities and none coming this century.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen joe View Post
NEVER buy land without looking at it! All that cheap land on ebay is way out in the desert. It's ugly flat hard ground with hard dirt, rocks and nothing else. No water, utilities and none coming this century.
The land itself is no different than most of the land in El Paso city limits.

I wish I would have bought cheap land back when out on the east side of town -- out there by George Dieter which was once like you describe this.

There are people living out in those places so they must have utilities, even if they have to run a couple poles or dig a well.

It might come down to whether someone wants to live in the concrete jungle of El Paso where in the new subdivisions, the houses are built just inches apart and yards are postage stamp size or if they want some elbow room, some space to enjoy life.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I think it's important to remember that RANCHERS in the SW have lived "off the grid" for a long time now, going back to before there was electricity and indoor plumbing. People today have all sorts of latter-day technologies to help them live "off the grid." Wind generators, solar cells, more efficient storage batteries, reverse-osmosis water purifiers, etc etc.

As an aside, YOUTUBE has a bunch of videos under the heading "off the grid." Here is the advertising trailer for a one-hour documentary that has won various awards for its Indie film producers:

Life on the MESA

Living off the grid has it's appeal. I think most people prefer big city life because everything is so much easier and they want a whole lot of people around.

I could imagine that being out there, hearing coyotes and owls at night could be better than hearing the not-stop sounds of heavy traffic, sirens.

One think I like about not running an air conditioner is the quiet. I hate living with a constant hum.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:16 PM

Some people like wide open spaces

http://www.landlestatehomes.com/Hudspethpicture4.jpg (broken link)

Others prefer a lot of city.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:14 PM

14 posts, read 93,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen joe View Post
I disagree about the description of "All that cheap land on ebay" being way out in the desert, and being "ugly flat hard ground with hard dirt, rocks and nothing else"

Speaking from a personal stand point;

I bought my land, in Hudspeth County, for most of those reasons.

Our spread is only 12 miles from Van Horn. We will not hear the trains nor the traffic on I-10, but have easy access to the food store! Complete peace!

And by the way, I can not leave my doors unlocked or anything setting in my driveway here in DFW...it will "grow legs, and walk off!"

Crime is almost non-existent where our land is located...neighbors look out for each other.

Flat hard ground with hard dirt and rocks makes for a perfect foundation. I am in the foundation repair business. My personal home here in DFW has 52 piers around it to keep it from moving. I do not need them on our spread we call The Lazy F Ranch!

I just paid a $500.00 electric bill for the hot months here in DFW. I love the thought of building my new OFF GRID home in the desert with OFF GRID technology I build myself, or put together at a hugh discount. I love the thought of NO BILLS coming in the mail!

Solar and wind generated power (West Texas has A LOT OF BOTH for FREE!)...a little generator for back-up charging of your off grid system...sounds good to me!

Water catchment or hauling (you filter your water according to YOUR idea of safe, not some city who doesn't know you, or care about your health). If all else fails, get yourself a well! Your neighbors can pitch in and lower the initial cost of drilling the well and EVERYONE gets water! Wow, what a block party!

What is wrong with letting mother nature provide for you, like she always has?

As was stated above, folks have been living out there on the desert, OFF GRID, since the first human stepped foot out there. This was WAY before "this century".

As for "ugly" land, well, that is COMPLETELY in the eye of the beholder. I love green grass, trees, and flowers, but the rugged beauty of West Texas is just as beautiful and has a mistique all its own.

I will still have the ability of walking over, cutting on the light switch and seeing perfectly well. I will still have the ability to cut on a water faucet and enjoy some CLEAN, PURE water that I filter myself. I will still have all the creature comforts that I possess here in DFW, but I will NOT have to pay for them every month, and here is the winning part...Mother Nature will not be pissed off at me for adding to my carbon footprint. I will actually be subtracting from the carbon footprint. WIN-WIN!

I prefer to see the glass half full on this one...but that is just one man's opinion!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:18 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,843 times
Have you moved or started building yet or is this still "a plan"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso