Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 12:09 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
$70 million as of June 1, meaning the Federal Gov't is being asked by Perry to pay $52.5 million and Texas would be stuck w/ $17.5 million.

And for the 2011-2012 budget the Texas Forest Service faces a $34 BILLION dollar cut to their programs that deal specifically w/ these type of disasters.

Gov. Rick Perry still seeking federal relief funds » San Angelo Standard Times Mobile
Carefully re-read the article. Texas asked for the money you refer to, but did not get it (request denied by the feds).

Also, $34 billion is obviously false. Again, re-read the article and you can see it said "faces that" in cuts in the upcoming budget. However, the budget has since been made and I guarantee there is no $34 billion cut to anything... cause the sum total of all the cuts to EVERYTHING in the state was only $15 billion for a 2 year budget:
Texas budget with $15 billion in cuts clears Legislature | News | News from Fort Worth, ... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/28/3111691/texas-budget-with-15-billion-in.html - broken link)

Anyway, I understand the junior cub reporter in San Angelo making that mistake of confusing millions and billions... but still, a little common sense and research should be used before attacking someone or something... otherwise this happens, and whatever argument you were trying to make becomes less credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Update: 1,000 acres, and 100,000 homes lost. Anybody that thinks this is funny watching Obama play politics while this kind of devastation is happening, is beneath contempt. We, as a country, need to throw everything we've got at dowsing these fires. Right now, it's manpower, volunteers, national guard, money...whatever it takes.
How anyone could remotely consider reelecting this pos for another term, is beyond my comprehension.

Quote:
On May, 3, Obama denied Perry’s request, which would have made the state eligible for more federal aid.

Rep. Bill Flores, R-Bryan, said the administration has punished Texas on a number of issues, including adding a native Texas lizard to the endangered species list, denying Texas a retired space shuttle for museum display and delays in approving offshore drilling permits.

“Mr. President, we respectfully request that you quit punishing Texas for our success in creating jobs, economic growth and energy,” Flores said.
Rep. Pete Olson of Sugar Land added: “I call on the president to be the president Texas needs right now. To set aside partisan politics and do what’s right for the people of our state — they’re hurting, they’ve lost businesses, their homes, their livestocks, their crops.”
Texas GOP: Obama Plays Politics with Wildfires
Read more on Newsmax.com: Texas GOP: Obama Plays Politics with Wildfires

Since December, wildfires in Texas have claimed 3.5 million acres, an area the size of Connecticut, Perry said. The fires have destroyed more than 1,000 homes, he said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/05...#ixzz1XBbAC9SC

Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Update: 1,000 acres, and 100,000 homes lost. Anybody that thinks this is funny watching Obama play politics while this kind of devastation is happening, is beneath contempt. We, as a country, need to throw everything we've got at dowsing these fires. Right now, it's manpower, volunteers, national guard, money...whatever it takes.
How anyone could remotely consider reelecting this pos for another term, is beyond my comprehension.

Texas GOP: Obama Plays Politics with Wildfires
Read more on Newsmax.com: Texas GOP: Obama Plays Politics with Wildfires
A 100,000 homes lost? Are you sure? Would you collaborate that number with a link/source please?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM

415 posts, read 615,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
~yawn~ this is just another flame bait thread.
Funny, I remember folks saying, and rather blindly, the same crap about Obama.

I don't want another demigod "he's so awesome lets not critique him" type. This country has had one for the last 3.5 years. Time to evaluate the next possible president.

The fact that he hasn't done much about the fires speaks volumes.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Rick Perry is busy on the campaign trail while the state he governs burns down! I thought Rick Perry was for the independence of states. What is he doing to help his state through this crisis?

Two dead, hundreds of homes burned in Texas wildfires | Reuters
Is he supposed to fly a helicopter to dump water on it? From what I understand he's toured the area and seen it. That's more than we can say of Skippy on any of a number of disasters during his term.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Rick Perry is busy on the campaign trail while the state he governs burns down! I thought Rick Perry was for the independence of states. What is he doing to help his state through this crisis?

By the time you posted this Perry was already on his way back to Texas. So now what are you going to complain about? That he isn't personally out there with a fire hose?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
$70 million as of June 1, meaning the Federal Gov't is being asked by Perry to pay $52.5 million and Texas would be stuck w/ $17.5 million.

And for the 2011-2012 budget the Texas Forest Service faces a $34 BILLION dollar cut to their programs that deal specifically w/ these type of disasters.

Another adios mofo moment for Mr. Good-hair.

Gov. Rick Perry still seeking federal relief funds » San Angelo Standard Times Mobile
Great, so we are asking the feds to give us back 52 million dollars, how much have we paid to the feds?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
The fact that he hasn't done much about the fires speaks volumes.
What has he done?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 AM

1,019 posts, read 590,251 times
Quote:

I know you aren't paying attention (by design), but it may interest you to know that active firefighting activities are ongoing as I type.

You have not the flimsiest clue of what the gov. is or isn't doing, yet you saw fit to opine from your position of consummate ignorance

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
Dont you think THIS is the time Perry should be praying for rain -assuming his prayers actually are worth a damm????? Dont tell me his earlier efforts were just empty pandering or he thought that enough stupid people would buy his act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections