Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the debate in your honest opinion?...
Michelle Bachmann 6 9.23%
Herman Cain 3 4.62%
Newt Gingrich 3 4.62%
Jon Huntsman 4 6.15%
Ron Paul 25 38.46%
Rick Perry 4 6.15%
Mitt Romney 18 27.69%
Rick Santorum 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times

Advertisements

3 term gov, whoop de do, that gets him Texas, and other solidly red states. Its the swing ones that make or break. JM carried almost all normal red ones. When will Jm be sworn in?

Its just numbers, BO won indys by 8, and they were 40% of vote. That equals 3.2 percent net effect. He won the election with a plurality of 8 percent. Dems who voted for him (%) was about the same as GOP. GOP turnout percentage of their registered was HIGHER, but Dem overwhelming outnumbering them equaled most of the other 4.8 percentage points.

GOP to win MUST win independents by most likely 5 plus points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,174,209 times
You really think Hilary didn't excite the lefty base??? They loved her before Obama came along. She led the polling for a long time. The black and youth vote is what put Obama in.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times
Truthfully, HC would have beaten anyone except BO and BC in my lifetime in the primaries. That includes Kennedy and Carter 1980 if she had been old enough.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You really think Hilary didn't excite the lefty base??? They loved her before Obama came along. She led the polling for a long time. The black and youth vote is what put Obama in.
No, I don't really think she excited the lefty base. That's why they jumped ship as soon as a more ideologically attractive candidate came along.

I see the parallel there.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:57 PM

865 posts, read 676,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The Chicago Union powerhouses played a major role in pushing Obama ahead. I'm not anti-union, but I sure am anti-bureaucrats that play their own people for political gains. Which is fine if you agree with the Hoffas, but if you don't, you are in a world of hurt in some of these organizations.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,830,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I think it's the other way around. Obama needs independents, all of them, to win. Paul attracts mostly independents. If we assume the GOP nominee gets the conservative vote, and Paul splits the independents with Obama, it's like Nader in 2004.

Plus Ron Paul voters have told us (in polls) they'd vote for Obama rather than the likely GOP nominee. And a lot of them are young people, so that makes sense. it seems like their fight primarily against the other GOP candidates, not so much with the president.
What polls are you referring to?

If it isn't Paul on the GOP ticket I'm most likely voting Libertarian. There is zero chance of me voting for either Obama, Romney, Bachmann, Hunstman, Gingrich, Santorum, Johnson, Cain, or Perry. None of those candidates represent the values that are important for me in a President.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:00 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,830,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Bingo, Dr. Joey. The Pirates were going to the playoffs, for 1/2 a season, too. Anyone got tickets?
They did play some great ball this year though!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
No, I don't really think she excited the lefty base. That's why they jumped ship as soon as a more ideologically attractive candidate came along.

I see the parallel there.

And look what they got, Hilary would have done a better job...see the parallel there again???

Old 09-13-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
The Chicago Union powerhouses played a major role in pushing Obama ahead. I'm not anti-union, but I sure am anti-bureaucrats that play their own people for political gains. Which is fine if you agree with the Hoffas, but if you don't, you are in a world of hurt in some of these organizations.

He definitely had a lot of push, probably from some places we don't even want to think about.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:05 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
3 term gov, whoop de do, that gets him Texas, and other solidly red states. Its the swing ones that make or break. JM carried almost all normal red ones. When will Jm be sworn in?
Well, we were talking nominees here, right? This is still the GOP debate thread, right? I thought the point DrJoey was making (and you were agreeing with) was about Hillary, Dean and Guiliani not getting the nomination. Are you already conceding that to Perry and jumping to the general election?

Anyway, if you do want to jump to the general -- I do understand what you are saying about the swing states. But they went a different way in 2000 and 2004, obviously. So we don't call them swing states for nothing. Still plenty of time before then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections