Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the debate in your honest opinion?...
Michelle Bachmann 6 9.23%
Herman Cain 3 4.62%
Newt Gingrich 3 4.62%
Jon Huntsman 4 6.15%
Ron Paul 25 38.46%
Rick Perry 4 6.15%
Mitt Romney 18 27.69%
Rick Santorum 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM

865 posts, read 676,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
But aren't they the majority of the Tea Party now? If the real Tea Partiers are for Cain, they must be less than 10% of Reoublicans.

I didn't say they were for Cain. I said Cain has more support than Perry/Bachmann/Romney from the actual movement.

The real tea party is a movement, not a group. That would be collectivist thinking(adding them into a label.) Therefore it is very difficult to explain.

It's like.. if a huge chunk of people from all diverse backgrounds started to like a few ideas. But then someone doesn't know how to explain the phenomenon, therefore they give it a label. Then after that, the label is blamed for everything! LOL

I guess some people need boogey-men to hate. Or they just fear what they don't understand, and fear = hate as well for some individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,830,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I bet Mitt Romney has enough money to buy him...lol. Maybe he could make him an offer to drop out.
I can almost guarantee Mitt has enough cash in his wallet right now even to buy him out. I wouldn't be too surprised even if McCotter has enough at this point.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The Elite (Bildebergers, et al) are backing Perry, so he will get strong backing from the media and financialy. Paul has the popular support. If Paul doesn't get the nomination, he will stand down. A third party candidate will just give the election to Obama.
I think it's the other way around. Obama needs independents, all of them, to win. Paul attracts mostly independents. If we assume the GOP nominee gets the conservative vote, and Paul splits the independents with Obama, it's like Nader in 2004.

Plus Ron Paul voters have told us (in polls) they'd vote for Obama rather than the likely GOP nominee. And a lot of them are young people, so that makes sense. it seems like their fight primarily against the other GOP candidates, not so much with the president.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
I didn't say they were for Cain. I said Cain has more support than Perry/Bachmann/Romney from the actual movement.

The real tea party is a movement, not a group. That would be collectivist thinking(adding them into a label.) Therefore it is very difficult to explain.
I'm just trying to understand who the people who identify themselves with the Tea Party in the polls are. If they are not real Tea Party folks, who are they?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
LOL-All BHO needs is to split indies. Dems outnumber vastly GOP in almost every swing state. Hence, if they retain 80% as many of their base as GOP, their numbers alone at minimum, provide a small majority. If JM had split indies instead of losing by 8, BO still would win. Now if Paul entered, its wide open whom he takes most from. Perot was far more evenly split than imagined before 1992.

The kid vote, no matter what, will return to normal. They came out in 08.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,830,745 times
Quote:
I thought he did better than in the last debate. But obviously he still doesn't demonstrate the polish of some of the other candidates.

It's pointless to try to polish a turd.

Quote:
Of course, these debates are pretty much just the storyline of who can beat down Perry and become relevant again. All Perry has to do is remain standing, and he wins. I don't think that's quite understood yet here on C-D, but I'm pretty sure it's evident to the others who are running.
I've watched decades of primary frontliners (which Perry is now) remain standing at this point only to lose. If thats the way it was we would be either looking at Pres Clinton or Pres Giuliani right now and they would have possibly succeeded Pres Dean.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
Bingo, Dr. Joey. The Pirates were going to the playoffs, for 1/2 a season, too. Anyone got tickets?

Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 PM

865 posts, read 676,642 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to understand who the people who identify themselves with the Tea Party in the polls are. If they are not real Tea Party folks, who are they?
Sheeple who wanted to do something, and the options were limited. Therefore they were stuck with calling themselves Tea Party, because it was fashionable and acceptable to say bad things about broken government.

It's not like a mold or prototype of a set person. The real movement is people of all backgrounds from both sides of the aisle and many independents. Because you can't register as whatever 3rd party that more-accurately labels you, a lot of them register republican for this hijacked Tea Party.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:47 PM

Dr Joey, Bobtn,

I think the problem is you are comparing a 3 term governor of the 2nd most populous state and one of the largest economies in the world with someone like Howard Dean (internet sensation that he was) and Hillary Clinton (whose primary qualification was being First Lady). Not to mention Hillary didn't excite the lefty base like Obama did, and Guiliani was a pro-choice Republican.

If you don't see the differences there, perhaps it's because you don't want to?

Anyway, not to take away any of your hope. Look at the C-D poll, it will make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Sheeple who wanted to do something, and the options were limited. Therefore they were stuck with calling themselves Tea Party, because it was fashionable and acceptable to say bad things about broken government.
Sorry to keep pressing; are these Republican sheeple, or independent sheeple? Moderate or conservative? I ask because depending on the poll, about 40-56% of supposedly GOP voters identify themselves with the Tea Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections