Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the debate in your honest opinion?...
Michelle Bachmann 6 9.23%
Herman Cain 3 4.62%
Newt Gingrich 3 4.62%
Jon Huntsman 4 6.15%
Ron Paul 25 38.46%
Rick Perry 4 6.15%
Mitt Romney 18 27.69%
Rick Santorum 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The 1970s was indeed a disaster for an economy, right off the bat, probably right up there with the 2000s. But credit bubble really started to take shape in the 1980s with "kind" policies to the effect. The move in 2004 to allow the mega financiers to leverage past 30:1 was simply a nail properly put in place.

Texas has tort reform (as do most states), and no benefit to show to the effect. Some states have chosen to stay out of it for their own reasoning. You would think a "state's right" candidate would be the last person to push for a national policy? Or does that idea apply only when convenient, and to push for personal agenda?
I was in Real Estate from early 70s until late 80s. The inflated prices of homes did start in about 75, then the rest followed. So, we can go back to the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was in Real Estate from early 70s until late 80s. The inflated prices of homes did start in about 75, then the rest followed. So, we can go back to the 70s.
I guess then the 1980s was a wasted decade to fix the issue.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
It seemed that Rick Perry was very much the audience favorite until the Dream Act was mentioned. How can they support him so strongly, given the HPV flap, and the illegal immigrant issue? Was last night the first time most of them had heard about Texas' version of the dream act?
It isn't the dream act, they are two very different bills or acts, if you want to call them that.

Nita

Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It isn't the dream act, they are two very different bills or acts, if you want to call them that.

Nita

huh?, I know the actual " Dream Act" is not the same as the bill passed in TX, thats why I said "Texas' version of the dream act".. I didnt know the exact name of the bill, but I know anyone who watched the debate, knew what I was talking about..

Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,372,711 times
Native Anglo Texans know that Mexicans are very much an important part of their state's history. Most Anglo Texans who have had families here since the days of the Republic have Mexican names in their family ancestral lines and many of us have Mexican-born individuals in their living families. You'll never get a native Texan to feel the same way as most other states when it comes to Mexico. Perry attempted to make that point last night but it went over everyone's heads. Maybe that disqualifies him as U.S. President but it doesn't disqualify him from being a human.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:23 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,259,864 times
If the Tea Party truly stands for "Taxed Enough Already", then they should be opposed to Rick Perry since he increased dozens of taxes in Texas. If the Tea Party stands for government to get out of the way, then they should be opposed to Rick Perry who issues executive orders to compel people to get injections (with an 'opt-out' option - how about opt-in?). And if the Tea Party does believe in the Constitution, then they shouldn't favor Rick Perry because he believes Social Security is unconstitutional, and as such, doing anything to 'fix' it would be inherently unconstitutional as well.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,536,797 times
The tea party stands for nothing. The tea party has one goal get rid of the idea of Obama. Notice I said the idea of Obama. This group will elect perry and if he wins the rich will get richer. The corporations will have a huge pool of wage slaves. No HC no retirement or any thing else. That is the tea party agenda. They cheered yeah to a man being left to die. That is plain to see and hear.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:13 PM

14,032 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Based on my post, what do you think? From the looks of it as well as the history, I would say that I certainly don't belong in the collective where you do.
someone is really arrogant, what makes you better than the other 311,999,999 people in America.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
someone is really arrogant, what makes you better than the other 311,999,999 people in America.
If that is your conclusion from my post... Can't speak for nearly 311,999,999 you have chosen to speak for (good job on the number, must have taken a lot of effort)... how about going one at a time starting with you? Give me something to discuss.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:24 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
This poll is of course unscientific, with the Paul supporters lighting up the board.

If there is one observation that can be gleaned from this poll is that Perrys numbers are scary.

Perrys posse has to find a way to make him more palpable to the public during debates or interviews. They cannot continually attempt to mask his evasiveness strictly relying on plastic appearances and stress free situational television.

This electoral process is going to an in your face pressure cooker-----if Perry cant respond any better than he has, his star is going to smolder.

You're just beginning to see what we Texans have seen for years. Perry's shine is wearing off as people begin to get to know him because there's no "there" there.

Perry is ambitious. Perry is about Perry. He isn't about Texas and he won't be about America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections