Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:24 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Wonderful! Hope that made you feel better.
Why yes it did, maybe I will do it again, soon.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,035 times
The problem with Rick Perry is that he probably never seriously considered running for president in the first place. He probably would have been just fine being the maverick, headline grabbing governor of Texas. That much is obvious when one looks at how unprepared Perry has been in responding to questions. He's like Palin in that regard: completely caught off guard and then forced to make up some on-the-spot response that ends up getting him into even deeper trouble than he would be in if he would have just offered a vague one-line quip.

Perry's like Sarah Palin and quite frankly most of the current GOP field: great at throwing verbal grenades at people, but not to be taken too seriously as contenders. I think it was GOP insiders who thought that Perry would be great because, after all, he's a right wing, 'hang 'im up high' governor of Texas. As I said a while back on another thread: the GOP doesn't have to worry about Texas -- they've carried it every election since 1976 and they're going to continue carrying it. A democrat will lose the state of California before a Republican will ever come even close to losing Texas. That's why all of this buzz over Texas was astronomically stupid.

Whether the Republicans can ever bring themselves to admit this or not, the fact is that they actually have a candidate right now -- and a pretty strong one -- who could crush Obama in an election: Mitt Romney. Two decades ago, when the GOP was more rational and not frothing at the mouth like a rabid raccoon over distractions like illegal immigration and tax hikes for the rich, they would have understood this and simply nominated the obvious choice. But in today's GOP, who seemingly compete with each other to see who can produce the most utterly outrageous ideas, one has to wonder about the future of the GOP.

The sad fact of the matter is, even if it finally sinks in that Romney's their only choice, I could see one or even two 'mainstream' GOP candidates running a third party protest campaign just to spite a 'liberal' Republican like Romney. And in so doing, they would probably ensure that Obama gets re-elected. Not that I would mind, of course, but I do mind and lament what has become of the GOP.

The truth is, I'm not pro-democrat. I actually think we need a strong and sensible Republican party for the good of the country. I wish we had two parties that had a balance of strong sense of ideology on the one hand, tempered with good judgment, conscience, and the courage of their convictions on the other. I don't really see all of these ingredients in either party these days. The Republicans are completely whacked out and the Democrats are just a bunch of mindless cowards.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM

187 posts, read 181,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Clean, scandle free, it appears that way, but it certainly hasn't helped him be a good President. Lack of experience has killed him. Had he been a governor or something like that prior to running it would be different...He has no leadership ability in my opinion.

Nita
If something Barack has is leadership(other than intelligence), that's what has made him prevail against the brainless republicans...

Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
Donn2390, Same stuff was said about BC 1995. Who won in 96? What matters is what is said by independents, the ones not drinking the TP koolaid. TP is about the size of union vote, a so what w/o converting uber vital indys.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:28 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,957,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Clean, scandle free, it appears that way, but it certainly hasn't helped him be a good President. Lack of experience has killed him. Had he been a governor or something like that prior to running it would be different...He has no leadership ability in my opinion.

Nita

Well in the next 5 years he will have plenty of experience. He did lack experience in the beginning, but I think he is finally catching on to the way washington works.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times

Basil Marceaux for TN Governor OFFICIAL CAMPAIN AD - YouTube

Finally a Candidate for the Tea Party

Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,211,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I love Democrats who run around and display their lack of undestanding how things work.

They arent up 10 or more now because there are 10 candidates splitting the votes. Even in a fictional head to head poll, no one votes for the other GOP candidate if they still have hope their own candidate is going to "win".. They wait until after their candidate drops out that they THEN will vote for the other candidate of the same party.

Obama knows his election is far from guaranteed like the OP claims. Thats why he's planning to raise a BILLION dollars. Tell me how someone can run around campaign to raise this type of money, but still focus on "more important issues"?
you are right and I really do not understand why folks get their panties in a bunch over this stuff
it is way early to call anyone a front runner
as far as Obama goes though, his butt is kicked!
his poll number's are in the 30's....HA!!
don't you know he is cussin' like crazy around the white house......
HOT DOG!!
He is dragging the race card as fast as his little funny feet can go
did you hear his "black talk" at the Black Caucus??
He is reachin' and preachin' and he is a riot!!

give me a break!!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:12 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,211,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
If something Barack has is leadership(other than intelligence), that's what has made him prevail against the brainless republicans...
HA!!
now that is funny!!
his goose is cooked and he just keeps hangn' on
and hopin' we don't notice!!
He is about a dumb as they come, whoever the ticket is against him
they will win!
Leadership!! What leadership??
Hehaw!!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
49 states besides Ga vote, FYI. I liked JM, and was wise enough to know he was toast in 2008. Not much has changed. GOP thanks to TP is w/o a swing state strategy. South will stay GOP, but that leaves 70 someodd electoral needed. Dems hold coast, they also have 200 of 270 locked. Swings decide it, and they are not TP land. What in the world is the message of the GOP that will work in NON TP koolaid land?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,957,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

That is hilarious. He may be the next presidential GOP candidate. They keep throwing more people into the mix. Why not him. He seems as good as the other ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections