Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How is this scary? Do you people have even a rudimentary knowledge of our nation's history? The U.S. has projected its diplomatic and military power as far as it can reach ever since the end of the Revolutionary war. So I fail to understand what is "scary" about continuing a 220-year-old foreign policy.
Well, let's hear from your sense of history. Exactly WHAT have be gained from debacles like the Vietnam War in our nation's history? Just WHY should we be projecting diplomatic/military power in areas that are none of our damn business with actions that do NOTHING to benefit America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I might not be a Romney supporter but he gave the perfect address to the perfect audience. I am impressed.

Nita

Old 10-08-2011, 09:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Greetings robbobobbo ..... Interesting subjectmatter

If I may add : An extremely large number of proud American citizens are very familiar and quite comfortable with the "Formidable America" and or American Global Empire concept.

We grew up with this unique concept well in place as did our parents before us and so on and so on !

National Pride and an extremely formidable military has preserved this nation for quite a spell and will continue to do so as long as we as a nation have the resolve to maintain it !

Global Empire says robbo ..... Perhaps its time for the American people to get used to many different climates and the planting of their beautiful flag on many different continents ... God knows our brave soldiers have shed enough of their blood for others to allow us to practice our "Empire Building" !!!

Live long and free America ! ... and being the "Worlds Policeman" ain't a bad idea at all !!!

"Sound Off Like Ya Got Ah Pair Y'all" ... America The Greatest Nation On The Face Of The Earth !!!!

Cheers ... Old Sgt. Lamar Y'all
and like so many others, I want to see it remain the greatest nation on earth. I sometimes think a few of our citizens should try living in other countries, itr might make them rethink some of their ideas. Just ask my oldest daughter, her husband and their daughter. Our daughter spent 2 years living in a country that is very American Friendly, as well as a democratic form of goernment, it was an wonderful experience, but she said it still isn't America. Her daughter went to school for a year in the same type of enviornment, and said the same. She loved the experience but it wasn't America.

Am I a war monger? absolutely NO, would I like to see, at least some of military return home? Sure, but I don't want to sacrafice our freedom for that. Reagan brought patriotism back to our country, now let's elect another Pres that can do the same.

Nita

Old 10-08-2011, 10:40 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,963 times
Default " Go Git Em Mittz " ..... Oh Yeah !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I might not be a Romney supporter but he gave the perfect address to the perfect audience. I am impressed.

Nita
nmnita !!! ... On The Money !

Ole Mittz Romney may well be on to something !

Indeed ... An "American Empire" ! So Mote It Be !

Cheers .. Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
What makes you think we don't already have a strong military?

Do you even know anyone in the military? I have had and still have famly members and friend in the military so I have personal experience with what their opinions are on the subject. Those are firsthand and very expert opinions which tell me a lot. We definitely have a strong military, but now is not the time to make more cuts in it. Clinton damaged our military during his terms by closing bases and cutting the budget. The wars we have been engaged in have depleted it further. More cuts that Obama wants to make will be disastrous. It is not encouraging to work in a field that does without what they need on a daily basis, especially when we have an all volunteer military. They risk their lives and suffer great family hardships and deserve to have what they need to do their jobs.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
What does that have to do with what Romney is proposing?

If you truly don't understand the relevance of that quote to the subject matter of this thread, I can see why you don't get the significance of Romney's speech. The students in that audience understood it completely though.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:23 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
By his ability to pander?

Old 10-08-2011, 03:42 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Do you even know anyone in the military?
I work for DoD. I'm civilian but I'm working with and for the military over 40 hours a week for the past 12 years.

Romney has people like you so easily fooled. One advantage that Obama has that many Democrats haven't usually had is that he's got a proven strong and successful record on national defense. That's typically the GOP's strongest card.

Romney knows this so to get back the GOP's natl defense mojo he has to up the ante and beat the drum of "kick butt America".

Meanwhile Obama has been kicking butt where it counts, without saber rattling or military "adventures" designed to pump the national mood.

We have a strong formidable military, as we should, but a return to fist pumping cowboy diplomacy is not what this country needs. Plus, it runs completely counter to the strict constitutionalist fiscally conservative message that the conservative base has been clamoring for.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:47 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
If you truly don't understand the relevance of that quote to the subject matter of this thread, I can see why you don't get the significance of Romney's speech. The students in that audience understood it completely though.
So you believe our freedom is at risk if we don't engage in an aggressive interventionalist and unilateral foreign policy?

Would we have lost our freedoms had we not invaded Iraq?

Old 10-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I work for DoD. I'm civilian but I'm working with and for the military over 40 hours a week for the past 12 years.

Romney has people like you so easily fooled. One advantage that Obama has that many Democrats haven't usually had is that he's got a proven strong and successful record on national defense. That's typically the GOP's strongest card.

Romney knows this so to get back the GOP's natl defense mojo he has to up the ante and beat the drum of "kick butt America".

Meanwhile Obama has been kicking butt where it counts, without saber rattling or military "adventures" designed to pump the national mood.

We have a strong formidable military, as we should, but a return to fist pumping cowboy diplomacy is not what this country needs. Plus, it runs completely counter to the strict constitutionalist fiscally conservative message that the conservative base has been clamoring for.

It's very concerning that someone like you works for the Department of Defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections