Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,655,023 times

Advertisements

I doubt that either Bachmann or Cain believe that Mormons are Christains. It's inappropriate to put them on the spot and quiz them about theology in a presidential race though. Religion shouldn't play the role it's playing in our politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Nobody can answer a religious question in politics. People want (demand) detailed explanations of what someone believes in but the truth is most people don't know jack about what their stated religion stands for in detail. They just like the church they go to or whatever. If they did know details most would deconvert . Not that it matters anyway, politicians aren't going to dictate religious dogma. And no matter what you say you will anger someone else which is why there are so many flavors of Christianity alone.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:20 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,520,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I doubt that either Bachmann or Cain believe that Mormons are Christains. It's inappropriate to put them on the spot and quiz them about theology in a presidential race though. Religion shouldn't play the role it's playing in our politics.
Good post.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,984,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
They are Christians but adhere to some different theology in addition to the basics.

Really it's not so unlike Catholicism. I've always felt been shifty about Catholics praying to people canonized as saints as if they were gods in their own rights.

A Mormon president won't corrupt the county any more than the first Catholic president.

I think people are more prone to believe any religion that was founded 200-300 years ago to present is cult like. Anything "new and modern" is seen as shifty. Mormonism, Kabbalah, Scientology. They're just too modern for some to be taken seriously.

The old school religions founded/discovered/whatever WAY back in the day - Christianity, Hinduism, Muslim, etc are seen as more accepted.
Yeah the real question is "who cares?" Honestly, I don't see how Mormonism being Christian, or not being Christian, is going to add one job, balance one budget, fix our healthcare mess, or end any war. I really don't care what a candidate's personal religious beliefs are, I care what their policies are and their plans to help America.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,984,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Exactly.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,655,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yeah the real question is "who cares?" Honestly, I don't see how Mormonism being Christian, or not being Christian, is going to add one job, balance one budget, fix our healthcare mess, or end any war. I really don't care what a candidate's personal religious beliefs are, I care what their policies are and their plans to help America.
Agreed. I could care less which church you pray in or don't pray in. That has zero bearing on your fitness to be president. It's embarrassing to see Cain and Bachmann being put on the spot like this. As conservative Christains, they probably believe that Mormons (along with Jews and perhaps even Catholics) aren't saved and don't know the "real" Jesus, but this discussion is totally irrelevant. What's next? Questions about where they stand on the existence of UFOs?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM

1,738 posts, read 846,189 times
While it's true that religion shouldn't play a part in assessing ones ability to be the Commander in Chief--- the fact that Mormon's practice religious nepotism certainly should. If a Morman gets the Presidency, just wait and see how many other Mormons are appointed to key positions, and/or are awarded huge government contracts. And don't even bother trying to argue this fact unless you know a good bit about how the Mormon "church" works. They take care of "their own"...

Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,372,711 times
The Bible says: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (Source John 3:16) Mormons teach that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and the Son of God.

The big question is whether Romney believes what the Bible says, not that he is a member of the Mormon, Baptist, Catholic, Presbyterian, or the Cowboy Church.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:39 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The Bible says: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (Source John 3:16) Mormons teach that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and the Son of God.

The big question is whether Romney believes what the Bible says, not that he is a member of the Mormon, Baptist, Catholic, Presbyterian, or the Cowboy Church.
I don't know about those Cowboys, but I can guarantee you that Romney believes what the Bible says. The Bible has been declared to be "the foremost among the [LDS] Church's Standard Works" (the "Standard Works" being the LDS canon).

Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1mom View Post
While it's true that religion shouldn't play a part in assessing ones ability to be the Commander in Chief--- the fact that Mormon's practice religious nepotism certainly should.
How about some legitimate examples of how Mormons do this any more than any other religious group?

Quote:
If a Morman gets the Presidency, just wait and see how many other Mormons are appointed to key positions, and/or are awarded huge government contracts. And don't even bother trying to argue this fact unless you know a good bit about how the Mormon "church" works. They take care of "their own"...
Taking care of their own (and everybody else, too, for that matter) does not mean that Romney would appoint fellow Mormons to any government posts. I'd be extremely surprised if that were to happen. Your assertion sounds very much like a scare tactic to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections