Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
This is a non-issue, but the progressives need something, anything, everything, to distract from the abysmal results of the Obama administration. Effectiveness is always the key. Not ideology.
I hate to burst your bubble son, but it is not the progresives that are making Romneys Mormon belief an issue, the attacks and questions come mainly from the conservative Christian right. Most progressives could not care less when it comes to his religious beliefs, so long has he does not plan on trying to turn the nation into a theocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
I'm aware where this initiated. But, like a beach ball, it is only kept in the air due to the media constantly pursuing it.

So, the question is will Solyndra, Fast and Furious, stubbornly high unemployment, stall-level growth, or this little pissy-ant item win out?

Btw, I grew up with a boy, back in the holler, who even as a teen referred to everyone as son. Hadn't heard that term in awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I hate to burst your bubble son, but it is not the progresives that are making Romneys Mormon belief an issue, the attacks and questions come mainly from the conservative Christian right. Most progressives could not care less when it comes to his religious beliefs, so long has he does not plan on trying to turn the nation into a theocracy.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:39 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You certainly have that right. Just look at the mormon network in the state of Utah. Mormon citizens receive preferences just by belonging to the mormon cult.
You try so hard, don't you, wehotex? And yet you just keep sounding stupider and stupider. Do you know who the Church contracted with to build the $1.5 billion mixed-use development currently underway in Salt Lake City? A non-Mormon company. Do you know who has developed the huge "I'm a Mormon" advertising campaign now in a number of U.S. cities? A Jewish-owned ad agency.

I don't know of a single, solitary person in Utah who, when he calls a plumber, says, "Oh, by the way, are you a Mormon?" Like everybody else, we choose our doctors, our lawyers, our accountants and our builders according to their skill set and reputation, not according to their religion. Naturally, we're going to end up choosing a Mormon a fair amount of the time, since 60% of the state of Utah is LDS, but it's not the criteria by which we make our decision. And if people reading this don't believe me, they can go over to the Salt Lake City forum, where the majority of the posters aren't even LDS, and ask what their experience has been in this regard.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-11-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 09:56 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
Thx for the passionate defense of your faith Katzpur. I mean that. I realize you are just one person, one Mormon, but is Bachman's and Cain's refusal to comment a big deal to you? What'd you think about Jeffress' comments? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You try so hard, don't you, wehotex? And yet you just keep sounding stupider and stupider. Do you know who the Church contracted with to build the $1.5 billion mixed-use development currently underway in Salt Lake City? A non-Mormon company. Do you know who has developed the huge "I'm a Mormon" advertising campaign now in a number of U.S. cities? A Jewish ad agency.

I don't know of a single, solitary person in Utah who, when he calls a plumber, says, "Oh, by the way, are you a Mormon?" Like everybody else, we choose our doctors, our lawyers, our accountants and our builders according to their skill set and reputation, not according to their religion. Naturally, we're going to end up choosing a Mormon a fair amount of the time, since 60% of the state of Utah is LDS, but it's not the criteria by which we make our decision. And if people reading this don't believe me, they can go over to the Salt Lake City forum, where the majority of the posters aren't even LDS, and ask what their experience has been in this regard.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hate to agree with you but you aer 100% right. It is those on the very far of the right side (the truely religious, Christian fundamentalists) that are bringing the issue of religion to the surface, but some of those people are Democrats as well.

Nita

Old 10-11-2011, 10:04 AM

31,077 posts, read 22,117,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
How about some legitimate examples of how Mormons do this any more than any other religious group?

Taking care of their own (and everybody else, too, for that matter) does not mean that Romney would appoint fellow Mormons to any government posts. I'd be extremely surprised if that were to happen. Your assertion sounds very much like a scare tactic to me.
Naw, Mormons in general do a better job on the business side of taking care of their own than most religions. When my Mormon BIL referred businesses to me when I was building an add-on I ended up going through a Mormon Loan broker, Framer, Dry Waller and Electrician. He just popped open his little book of business contacts and that’s who I used, and they were all Mormon. I have other Mormon relatives that do the same thing, if you get a business contact through them that contact will most likely be Mormon. I obviously didn't care or I would have gone elsewhere.

I can't put my hand on it but there’s a sense of community that I see in the Mormons that I don't see in most other religions. Overall, I see more positives than negatives that come out of the Mormon community.

Will Romney put Mormons in more government appointed positions than a non-Mormon. I'm sure he associates with more Mormons than a non-Mormon would, so that would be a Yes! If he does make it that far I'll consider giving him my vote.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 10-11-2011 at 10:17 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,414,668 times
Default Just this once....

Could we choose a candidate based on competence and aptitude?

Every minute spend debating the religion of the current president or any potential future president is wasted when we have more important things to work on. Or skin color, gender, ethnicity, or any thing other than the raw requirements laid out in the constitution.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,655,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Could we choose a candidate based on competence and aptitude?

Every minute spend debating the religion of the current president or any potential future president is wasted when we have more important things to work on. Or skin color, gender, ethnicity, or any thing other than the raw requirements laid out in the constitution.
Fat chance, marco. Social dynamics is going to be part of this, and I suspect every single future, presidential campaign. It's not like this is anything new. The only thing that has changed is the categories that we find relevant. Yesterday we were worried if a nominee was Irish or Catholic; today we're concerned with race, gender, "non Christain" religions, etc.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Thx for the passionate defense of your faith Katzpur. I mean that. I realize you are just one person, one Mormon, but is Bachman's and Cain's refusal to comment a big deal to you? What'd you think about Jeffress' comments? Thanks.
I found Jeffress' comments to be totally uncalled for. They were malicious, hurtful and totally unbecoming of anyone who considers himself a Christian. with respect to Bachman's and Cain's refusal to comment, I certainly would have admired them more if they had expressed their disapproval of Jeffress' comments, and I'm not sure how to interpret their silence, except probably as agreement. Still, as Cain said, "I'm not running for theologian-in-chief." None of them are, and if they all refuse to discuss the issue, maybe it will drop and the debates will move on to what really matters. I guess that when it comes to politics, people will say pretty much anything that may keep someone from voting for their rival. They probably just figure they're doing what it takes to win.

Jeffress is entitled to his opinion, but his opinion does not reflect the opinion of all evangelicals. Here is a different point of view, expressed by Richard J. Mouw, President of Fuller Theological Seminary, an evangelical school in Pasadena, California. This article, entitled My Take: This evangelical says Mormonism is not a cult, is worth reading.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-11-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
I'm aware where this initiated. But, like a beach ball, it is only kept in the air due to the media constantly pursuing it.

So, the question is will Solyndra, Fast and Furious, stubbornly high unemployment, stall-level growth, or this little pissy-ant item win out?

Btw, I grew up with a boy, back in the holler, who even as a teen referred to everyone as son. Hadn't heard that term in awhile.
Once someone, the Christian right, made it an issue the media just ran with it, it is called ratings and even FOX has discussed it, so it is not only a liberal media thing.
Will he win out? Against Romney my bet would be on Obama winning, far too many Independent voters view Romney as a neo-conservative, a Bush Lite if you will, he would need those votes to win. Against Paul, I believe the GOP would stand a good chance of winning the Whitehouse, especially if thereare debates between just the two of them, but we shall see what the choices actually are.
I know several people that use the term, no matter the persons age, you used it with me in one of your posts and I can assue you that it is very unlikely you are old enough for it to be literal in meaning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections