Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I am no fan of Bush but maybe you should read this:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...GREED_TEXT.pdf

The Agreement to end the war in Iraq was signed before Bush left Office.
this might be the only time you and I have ever agreed or will ever agree. I don't know why it isn't pointed out more often when the agreement was signed.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're "sure" of so many things you really don't know. In this case, you're wrong. There's a window of time during which, if you're going to serve at all, you must do so.
Sorry, Katzpur. I know many Mormons who served their mission only after they retired, or had an interruption in their career or lives. I know some Mormons who quit their mission, then went on another a few years later. I know Mormons who gave up their career to go serve. Some never were able to regain the career they gave up afterwards.

There is no narrow window of time, and there never was one. All missions are optional; there is no church law that requires one, and the church is always happy to accept any member in good standing who wants to go, no matter what their age, finances, or social standing may be.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sorry, Katzpur. I know many Mormons who served their mission only after they retired, or had an interruption in their career or lives. I know some Mormons who quit their mission, then went on another a few years later. I know Mormons who gave up their career to go serve. Some never were able to regain the career they gave up afterwards.

There is no narrow window of time, and there never was one. All missions are optional; there is no church law that requires one, and the church is always happy to accept any member in good standing who wants to go, no matter what their age, finances, or social standing may be.
Sorry Banjomike,but you aren't right on several issues either.Well to be more accurate you are confusing a couple of things as being the same when they aren't.

Young men are expected to go on a mission,but you are correct that it isn't required by church law.They do this ,(with few exceptions allowed),between the ages of 19-25.They must be single and can't have fathered any children and be willing and able to serve for 24 months.There are certain 'worthiness requirements too'.

Later in life a couple can go on a senior couple mission.There really isn't an age requirement but you are required to be married,both meet the worthiness requirements,have no children at home,and be retired.Elderly single men can not go on a mission.

Your statement about the church accepting any member who wants to go,whenever they want to isn't correct.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:40 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
he most certainly was scrutinized. Hillary did a thorough job of that. He had to prove his worth.

and he may not have had major qualifications but the country deemed him more competent than the other guy. Obama chose a stable running mate, the other guy chose a looney chicken head which told Americans that his judgement may not be all that sound.
Is there an award for the funniest post in the history of mankind? If so, I nominate this one.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You're right in that retired couples often serve missions together (or single, older people, although this is probably less common). No man, however, is EVER called to serve a mission after he is 27 years of age (imbobbbb says it's 25 and he could be right). If a man didn't serve in his early 20s, he would not be able to go until after his kids were grown and out of the house. (An exception to this would be a "Mission President," who might be called with his wife to head up a mission somewhere in the world while he still had a family at home, in which case, the whole family would move for three years.) 30-year-olds, 40-year-olds, 50-year-olds simply do not EVER serve full-time missions.

Quote:
There is no narrow window of time, and there never was one.
I guess that depends upon what you consider "narrow." Men can be called on missions between the ages of 19 and 27 (or maybe 25?). If you were 19 and got drafted during the Viet Nam War, there is a good chance you'd be too old to serve once you got home from your tour of duty. Yes, you could wait until you were 60 or 65, but for most Mormon men who had been planning on serving a mission for perhaps 10 years, that kind of wait probably wouldn't be acceptable.

Quote:
All missions are optional; there is no church law that requires one, and the church is always happy to accept any member in good standing who wants to go, no matter what their age, finances, or social standing may be.
Well, you're wrong about the age part, right about the rest.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,409 times
Default please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I am no fan of Bush but maybe you should read this:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/package...GREED_TEXT.pdf

The Agreement to end the war in Iraq was signed before Bush left Office.

Bush had 6 years to clean up his self-made quagmire in Iraq. So he left office with a signed piece of paper. He didn't end it. Just like his other unresolved quagmire in Afghanistan, he left it for the next guy to finish.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Elderly single men can not go on a mission.
I wasn't sure about that. I know that elderly single woman can.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
Any Obamas serve in our military?

Will the Obama daughters serve on our military?

Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,409 times
Smile Please keep it consistent, if you're able

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Any Obamas serve in our military?

Will the Obama daughters serve on our military?
Bush/Cheney started two wars. Did any of their service age daughters bother to sign up for their daddys' wars?

Any Obamas started any wars?

Any Obamas saber rattling for another middle east disaster, like Romney wants with his war on Iran?

BTW, Obama's grandfather fought in Europe in WWII.

The only uniform the Romneys have ever worn is their mormon underwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections