Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll for new Texans from California- 2008 Election
Barack Obama 12 60.00%
John McCain 7 35.00%
Didn't Vote 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 04:57 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,282,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenshroud View Post
So wait Obama is to blame for the country, but the Republican governors are not to blame for California? Hypocrisy you can believe in. And control implies, well control, you know the ability to do what you want, not relying on an opposite party governor to sign bills or a fillibuster proof majority.

It doesn't matter anymore. Citizens United decision means your politicians and their decisions have been prepaid for. The two-party system is now a requirement of easy spending by lobbyists. The revolution will not be televised, but it will be long and painful.
No one said a word about national government. The issue is, comparing Texas state government to California and discerning why one economy is in shambles, with its citizens fleeing for the vibrant economy of the other, and what lessons can be learned. The democrat stranglehold on both houses of the legislature has been complete, while the governorship has been split. The big increases in state spending have come in the years where the dems controlled everything, leaving Republican governors hard pressed to reduce spending below the established baselines when they never ever controlled either house. And the issue isn't just spending - which at least can be theoretically reduced - regulations passed and signed by democrats go on forever.

So, compare the high tax, high regulation, high spending California to the low tax, low regulation, low spending Texas. Which one are people voting with their feet from, and leaving to? Refugees - like you - are more than welcome. Just don't bring your failed expectations of government with you. Having soiled one nest, please don't soil ours. We "poorly educated" Texans, as you have described us elsewhere, like the fact that our model has produced schools with smaller average class sizes, and students that outperform your California on EVERY ONE of the eight NEAP tests - by up to 10% in some cases. If that represents "poorly educated", then pass another serving.

Last edited by scm53; 06-14-2012 at 05:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 05:46 AM

709 posts, read 1,402,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Yea, because that democrat control of California state government for the last fifty years has worked out so well...
I totally agree. Cali is pretty amazing! Currently the 8th strongest economy in the world.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 06-14-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,107,772 times
Quote:
No one said a word about national government. The issue is, comparing Texas state government to California and discerning why one economy is in shambles, with its citizens fleeing for the vibrant economy of the other, and what lessons can be learned. The democrat stranglehold on both houses of the legislature has been complete, while the governorship has been split. The big increases in state spending have come in the years where the dems controlled everything, leaving Republican governors hard pressed to reduce spending below the established baselines when they never ever controlled either house. And the issue isn't just spending - which at least can be theoretically reduced - regulations passed and signed by democrats go on forever.

So, compare the high tax, high regulation, high spending California to the low tax, low regulation, low spending Texas. Which one are people voting with their feet from, and leaving to? Refugees - like you - are more than welcome. Just don't bring your failed expectations of government with you. Having soiled one nest, please don't soil ours. We "poorly educated" Texans, as you have described us elsewhere, like the fact that our model has produced schools with smaller average class sizes, and students that outperform your California on EVERY ONE of the eight NEAP tests - by up to 10% in some cases. If that represents "poorly educated", then pass another serving.
You don't really understand the California situation at all; this is just right wing rhetoric. This discussion should really be on the political forum, not the relocation forum. As I have said before, I think that people badmouthing other states is unproductive and mean spirited. Why do people feel they have to make themselves feel better by putting down others?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I totally agree. Cali is pretty amazing! Currently the 8th strongest economy in the world.
And trending down. '70s - seventh. '80s - fifth. Now - eighth. If that is a trend line you want to emulate, go for it.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You don't really understand the California situation at all; this is just right wing rhetoric. This discussion should really be on the political forum, not the relocation forum. As I have said before, I think that people badmouthing other states is unproductive and mean spirited. Why do people feel they have to make themselves feel better by putting down others?
Well, it didn't take long to get to the gutter, now, did it? "Right wing rhetoric" means things I don't agree with, but can't refute. Please don't tell me I "don't really understand the California situation at all". I lived there, owned property and paid taxes there, my daughter was born there, and went to college there. She started her career there, met and married her SoCal native husband there. They, along with half of his family, now live in Texas. They couldn't stand the craziness of LA, didn't see any way they would ever own a home, and didn't want to start a family there. They now own a home in Tarrant County, and are expecting our first grandchild this summer. They would both tell you that neither of those things would have happened were they still in Sherman Oaks.

As far as taxes, California ranks sixth with a 10.6% tax burden, while Texas is 45th at 7.9% Yet, despite these higher taxes, California faces a $16,000,000,000 (and growing!) annual deficit, while Texas will end the 2011-2012 budget with a shrinking $4B two year hole. Tell what I don't understand? That California taxes need to be even higher? Both states have basically the same problems, yet one is a magnet and one is hemmoraging?

Is anyone else stricken with the incongruity of bemoaning "putting down others" while dismissing "right wing rhetoric"?

Last edited by scm53; 06-14-2012 at 07:03 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 AM

709 posts, read 1,402,272 times
Quote:
And trending down. '70s - seventh. '80s - fifth. Now - eighth. If that is a trend line you want to emulate, go for it.
You did say 50 years right?

From 7th to 8th isn't much of a downward trend. One spot. Which isn't bad. It was only 5th for a couple years in the mid 80's. The economy of Cali is still growing not declining. And given that it was China who only in the past few years surpassed California and bumped it down (along with Brazil) that is not bad at all. I'm sure we're all well aware of the recent growth in China and Brazil and understand that. The Californian economy is huge.

During that same time frame Texas has done no better. It was 14th in 1970 and up to 10 in the late 80's and even in 2002. Since 2002 Texas economy has slid in a downward trend from 10th to number 14.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Quote:

From 7th to 8th isn't much of a downward trend. One spot. Which isn't bad. It was only 5th for a couple years in the mid 80's. The economy of Cali is still growing not declining. And given that it was China who only in the past few years surpassed California and bumped it down (along with Brazil) that is not bad at all. I'm sure we're all well aware of the recent growth in China and Brazil and understand that. The Californian economy is huge.

During that same time frame Texas has done no better. It was 14th in 1970 and up to 10 in the late 80's and even in 2002. Since 2002 Texas economy has slid in a downward trend from 10th to number 14.
Texas isn't bankrupt, so I'd say that trumps your argument.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:

If it was doing so great, why did EVERY county in California (except one - and even that was a plus for us) had a net outmigration to Travis County in 2011?

Look, I am not down on Cali, except as a sterling example of NOT what we in Texas should do. If that is what Californians want (and based on how they vote, obviously it is), then good for them. I have learned much in my life by modeling good traits in people I respect. I have learned just as much from seeing things that didn't work, and not doing that. Based on the demographics, Cali isn't working for a lot of people - including the woman you steered to the Highland Lakes, BevoLJ. Texas, for as long as I have been alive, and regardless of what party is in power, has been a low tax - low service - low regulation state. There is no reason, no matter how well intentioned, to mess with that model, which appears to work pretty well. I welcome all these folks to Texas - just dont mess with what produced the economy that attracted them in the first place.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,952,934 times
I voted for Obama, but there's no way I'd do it again now.

I essentially voted for him for two reasons:

First, I thought out of all the candidates, that Mitt Romney was probably the best candidate because my number one priority is reeling in the out of control spending, and putting someone in office that actually understands economics in a working way - not law. The office is called the Executive Branch of our federal government - not the Legislative Branch. I wanted someone who knew about running things from an executive perspective, not a legal one. He (Romney) didn't make it too far last time to vote for him in the primary, so I choose Obama which segway's into reason #2.

I wanted to get a black president out of the way. I'm tired of hearing all these "firsts" with women, with blacks, with whatever. I figured by getting a black president into office, we can wipe it off the country's "bucket list". And, I thought, one of two things will happen: 1) he will be a good president, get two terms, and we all benefit as a nation; or, 2) he will suck, get one term, and hopefully Romney would run again (for the reasons stated in the paragraph above).

I had no idea he would be as incompetent and irrelevant as he has been. In my opinion, he has been one of the worst presidents in our history (for my personal reasons), and I wouldn't vote again for him if he was running against PeeWee Herman. But, what has happened has worked as I hoped it would - his incompetence has opened the door for Romney who has a shot at president.

My only fear is that Romney could choose not to put forth the effort to fix the economy, and then I have little-to-no hope for the future of our country.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
It wouldn't be very specific to the topic if it was put on P & OC. It wasn't meant to be a "which state is better" thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections