Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll for new Texans from California- 2008 Election
Barack Obama 12 60.00%
John McCain 7 35.00%
Didn't Vote 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 AM

709 posts, read 1,402,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Dear California to Texas transplants. You are really nice people. I appreciate you coming here to work and make Texas even greater.

I just have one request. You screwed up your home state by voting democrat, please dont come here and do the same. if you cant bring yourself to vote republican, just stay home. we are doing great without getting democrat nuttiness like what messed up Cali....

Thank you! you are awesome! Please enjoy the business friendly environment!
Dear Urban Conservatives Texans. You are really nice folks. I appreciate you contributing to the our wonderful liberal cities and diversity helping to make our cities among the most successful and best places to live in the US.

I have just one request. In 2008 every major metro in Texas voted for Obama, and in 2010 voted for Bill White. If you can't bring yourself to vote Democrat then please stay home on the farm. Our liberal cities have been doing great and we don't need y'all screwing them up.

Gracias! you are fine folks! Please continue to enjoy the fantastic cities we have to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,952,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
"...the same tax, spending, and regulation cuts that sent us screaming over the cliff in the first place.
Oh... and to avoid yourself further embarassment down the road , I recommend studying why the economy started towards the recession. It had nothing to do with taxes, it had to do with the housing market. Houses quickly got over-valued because a whole world was opened to sub-prime lenders.

And, to inform a little more, "sub-prime" didn't mean interest rates. It refers to people who are greater risk of repaying loans (normally due to greater income-to-debt ratios). So, that means a lot of loans for houses was given to people who probably shouldn't have been given those loans.

I'm trying to make this easy... stay with me. There's a concept called supply and demand. When demand is high, supply normally dwindles (lessens). That means what supply there is normally goes up (inflation). And many houses were inflated beyond their realistic prices. When the bubble finally popped, people were left with houses they couldn't sell near the cost they bought them for which left them upside down (meaning they owed more than it was worth).

And who were the institutions that gave these wonderful loans to people who were high risk of not being able to pay them off? Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. And who are the geniouses behind those programs pushing programs to make those institutions give those sub-prime loans? RIGHT!! Democrats.

But, at least (based on your sophomoric comment above) now we know why you think Obama is fiscally a better choice than Romney.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Dear Urban Conservatives Texans. You are really nice folks. I appreciate you contributing to the our wonderful liberal cities and diversity helping to make our cities among the most successful and best places to live in the US.
Conservative policies have contributed to the success of Texas cities.

Quote:
I have just one request. In 2008 every major metro in Texas voted for Obama, and in 2010 voted for Bill White.
This is not true. Every major city voted for Obama (and possibly White...but I'm not 100% sure on that - Fort Worth could have voted for White, but it did go for Obama in 2008), every major county did not and every large metro area as a whole I believe voted for McCain/Perry, except for El Paso and the Rio Grande Valley (if you want to call El Paso or the Valley large metro areas). The Houston area possibly narrowly voted for White in 2010.

If Democrats were consistently winning every metro area in TX, TX would be a blue state or at the bare minimum a purple state. I believe that only about 25% of Texans live in rural areas.

Quote:
If you can't bring yourself to vote Democrat then please stay home on the farm. Our liberal cities have been doing great and we don't need y'all screwing them up.
Yeah...the vast majority of suburban areas in the state and even predominately white urban areas outside of Austin (I am not trying to be racist...I'm just stating reality) are pretty Republican.

And...look at this...in 2008, high school dropouts in Texas vote for Obama while those with high school diplomas, some college, or a college degree voted for McCain. McCain actually did the best among voters with postgraduate education. And McCain won higher income voters and Obama won lower income voters:

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

In 2010, more college graduates voted for Perry than White and lower income voters were far more likely to vote for White than higher income voters:

Senate, House, Governor Races - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,473,931 times
I am a Native Texan. I have moved 300 miles within the state and have traveled extensively around the country and to several foreign countries, but have never lived elsewhere. I think Texas has plenty of minuses, but I find that the pluses far outweigh the minuses. The only place I would ever really consider living outside of TX would be Colorado and even that is a real long shot.

I think most of the Californians moving to TX are liberal, but it's ironic that they remain liberal and continue their Democratic voting habits given that the whole reason many are moving to TX is because they are fleeing from failed liberal policies or for jobs that are more plentiful in TX in part because of conservative policies.

I have two friends - sisters - who grew up in Texas and both moved to CA after college. One lives in San Francisco; the other lived in LA for a while then moved to SF before she and her husband moved back to TX because of cost of living issues - they simply weren't able to live very well on their salaries. The one who still lives in SF and her husband are now considering moving back to TX in part because she no longer has a job. He still has a good job and they are doing fairly well, but she will need a job eventually and I think they believe she will be more likely to find one in TX and the lower COL is very attractive to them.

They are VERY liberal - all four are vegetarians and think that, not only should they not eat meat, but that no one should. One attended some Occupy protests. They think being opposed to illegal immigration is wrong. I like them as people, but I find the idea of moving to escape failed policies and voting for the same policies (and I'm sure the two who live here already are still voting Democratic) to be quite ironic. Obviously they are an extreme example, and most of the other Californians moving to Texas are not so liberal, but the exodus of Californians to Texas will undoubtedly provide Democrats with more votes in this state.

Texans should really hope that they will never represent enough of the voters here for a true "Californication" of Texas to take place - with failed anti-business policies, soaring debt, even more illegals, endless nanny state laws, etc.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:39 PM

20,476 posts, read 12,398,694 times
Quote:

I have just one request. In 2008 every major metro in Texas voted for Obama, and in 2010 voted for Bill White. If you can't bring yourself to vote Democrat then please stay home on the farm. Our liberal cities have been doing great and we don't need y'all screwing them up.

Gracias! you are fine folks! Please continue to enjoy the fantastic cities we have to offer!
De nada!

I currently live in one of the Metro "burbs" so I don’t fit your description above.... I will say that I came from the farm so I do at least identify with that aspect of your comments.

I am glad we can be appreciative of one another... I also am quite appreciative of the fact that democrats in the metro city of Dallas Texas have now twice elected republican mayors... Dallas is a fine city with thriving republican and democrat bases.... viva Tejas! Viva Dallas!

PS TU is PU! LOLOLOLOLOL! LONG LIVE TAMU!

Old 06-15-2012, 01:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Thank you, I voted for McCain and have no intention of voting for Obama this time either
So apparently, the Cali stink doesn't cross state lines. Or at least in this case you have enough of your own mind to make adult decisions.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:21 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,860,559 times
California votes Democratic because it is a minority state.

Dallas County, Texas went blue in 2008 because of all the blacks and Mexicans.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
California votes Democratic because it is a minority state.

Dallas County, Texas went blue in 2008 because of all the blacks and Mexicans.

oh good god. Mexicans dont vote in AMERICAN elections.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,860,559 times
Mexicans vote 4 or 5 times each election in New Orleans and Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
oh good god. Mexicans dont vote in AMERICAN elections.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Mexicans vote 4 or 5 times each election in New Orleans and Chicago.
go somewhere else. we are having a serious discussion. racist nonsense is not wanted nor is it needed.

and for the record dead people vote 7 or 8 times every election in New Orleans! often for both candidates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections