Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:39 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The Irish got treated just as bad here in the US as the groups you listed till maybe WW 2. Many of us WON'T vote for Obama.

You got that right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,452,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
It has always amazed me the Jews vote so overwhelmingly Democratic. I could see being a little more Democratic than other whites,but not to the degree they are. In 2008 it was 80%. That's higher,MUCH higher than hispanics or Asian Americans,who on average are not nearly as well off. To me that makes no sense.
I think it is social issues that attract Jews to Democrats. When it comes to economics, the vast majority of Jews would be better off under Republicans. Jews who are blindly loyal to Israel are also better off under Republicans. I agree that it is surprising they go to Democrats so overwhelmingly.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I am half Italian, as far as Italians voting it is not a monolithic block like it was in the 1940s, but by far most of my relatives on that side vote Democratic, it's not even close. There is a reason that all the states that are plurality Italian (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Rhode Island) are still heavily democratic.
You know, this post makes me think. I was in Pittsburgh a couple years ago. Great American city. It seemed to me that in that town the working man (often from an Irish, Italian, Polish, Czech, of African American families) still believes in unions, banding together to fight for the people, etc. It is refreshing. It seems that in most of the country the working man is Republican and fighting unions, listening to Limbaugh, and generally working for the man. Not sure how many Jews are in those groups, but good old fashioned working class Europeans made the manufacturing of this country great. Kind of sad to see that go by the wayside. Pittsburgh is a throwback, but I like it.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Until WW2 probably being the operative words... that was 60-70 years ago, and the other minority groups listed have continued being mistreated since then (some still today). So I guess that explains your discrepancy, given that we've been through MANY elections in those years? Heck, a good number of those who were of voting age back then are now dead! Not to mention, the Irish in particular have long-since been embraced by most hate groups. Even today, would the KKK be more likely to accept an Irish-American or a Jewish-American?

Btw, I'm a (Reform) Jew who has never and probably will never vote Republican. I describe myself as more of an Independent-Libertarian, but usually end up voting Democrat in the major elections - and maybe Libertarian or Green Party for the lower offices. With the exception of Orthodox Jews, why do we primarily vote Dem? For most of the reasons listed above, namely the right's alliance with Evangelical Christians, and their views towards issues of equality & civil liberties. Those are very important issues to most American Jews, given how we can relate to being oppressed and so forth.

Many Irish Americans are also Catholics so I don't see the KKK embracing them either.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I am half Italian, as far as Italians voting it is not a monolithic block like it was in the 1940s, but by far most of my relatives on that side vote Democratic, it's not even close. There is a reason that all the states that are plurality Italian (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Rhode Island) are still heavily democratic. It is not as though Italians on mass are signing up for the GOP.

Not Long Island Italians, they are almost all Republicans.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
You know, this post makes me think. I was in Pittsburgh a couple years ago. Great American city. It seemed to me that in that town the working man (often from an Irish, Italian, Polish, Czech, of African American families) still believes in unions, banding together to fight for the people, etc. It is refreshing. It seems that in most of the country the working man is Republican and fighting unions, listening to Limbaugh, and generally working for the man. Not sure how many Jews are in those groups, but good old fashioned working class Europeans made the manufacturing of this country great. Kind of sad to see that go by the wayside. Pittsburgh is a throwback, but I like it.
I imagine part of it is unions, but I think a lot of it is women as well. One thing I came to realize is that almost all the Italian American women I know and am related to have finely tuned BS detectors, I don't know what it is, but you cannot get anything past them. Most of them are Catholic, and many of them are quite conservative, but they can tell when someone is feeding them a load of crap and almost all of them if not all of them that I know vote Dem.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Not Long Island Italians, they are almost all Republicans.
LOL. Nassau county is 23% Italian and hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 1988. Suffolk County is 29% Italian and is almost as Democratic as Nassau. You would think that if the plurality ethnic group in a county were "almost all" Republican it might vote for a Republican Presidential candidate once in a while. Italians don't vote as a monolithic group and they tend to be even to slightly Democratic. Thus why the GOP isn't cranking out wins in Connecticut.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-24-2012 at 12:19 AM..

Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,559,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Where is the highest concentration of Jews in the US: NY. NY is majority what party? Democrat. Question answered.
NY jews are the most conservative jews in the country.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,559,136 times
Quote:
LOL. Nassau county is 23% Italian and hasn't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 1988. Suffolk County is 29% Italian and is almost as Democratic as Nassau. You would think that if the plurality ethnic group in a county were "almost all" Republican it might vote for a Republican Presidential candidate once in a while. Italians don't vote as a monolithic group and they tend to be even to slightly Democratic. Thus why the GOP isn't cranking out wins in Connecticut.
in 2000 the most Italian County in the country is Staten Island 37.% the next highest was Putnam 31.8%.
both voted for McCain.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
How do we know Jews voted 80% for obama?

This is one Jew who didn't and learned over 40 years ago to not vote for democrats ever .
So you idolize Nixon, Agnew, and that group of Republicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections