Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

I think it was unnecessary and poor diplomacy but was it also racist? Maybe, maybe not. Either way I don't think the Palestinian econmic troubles have anything to do with their culture and everything to do with current political situation in the region. The only thing which can save their economy is make peace with Israel, which would end the occupation and border blocades.

Romney comments at fundraiser outrage Palestinians

Romney comments at fundraiser outrage Palestinians - Businessweek

Quote:
JERUSALEM (AP) — Mitt Romney told Jewish donors Monday that their culture is part of what has allowed them to be more economically successful than the Palestinians, outraging Palestinian leaders who called his comments racist and out of touch.

"As you come here and you see the GDP per capita, for instance, in Israel which is about $21,000 dollars, and compare that with the GDP per capita just across the areas managed by the Palestinian Authority, which is more like $10,000 per capita, you notice such a dramatically stark difference in economic vitality," the Republican presidential candidate told about 40 wealthy donors who breakfasted around a U-shaped table at the luxurious King David Hotel.

The reaction of Palestinian leaders to Romney's comments was swift and pointed.

"It is a racist statement and this man doesn't realize that the Palestinian economy cannot reach its potential because there is an Israeli occupation," said Saeb Erekat, a senior aide to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas
Unfortunately he got his facts wrong, because the Palestinian per capita is not $10 000, but $1 500. He also got it wrong about Israel, where per capita income is $31 000, not $21 000.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-30-2012 at 07:07 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,598,969 times
Exclamation Palestinian leaders React to Romney's comments: It is a racist statement and this man....

Quote:
JERUSALEM (AP) -- Mitt Romney told Jewish donors Monday that their culture is part of what has allowed them to be more economically successful than the Palestinians, outraging Palestinian leaders who called his comments racist and out of touch.

The reaction of Palestinian leaders to Romney's comments was swift and pointed.

"It is a racist statement and this man doesn't realize that the Palestinian economy cannot reach its potential because there is an Israeli occupation," said Saeb Erekat, a senior aide to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
"It seems to me this man (Romney) lacks information, knowledge, vision and understanding of this region and its people," Erekat added. "He also lacks knowledge about the Israelis themselves. I have not heard any Israeli official speak about cultural superiority." Source

Interesting.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 AM

The other thing was his pro-war attitude while he was there.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
I'm not sure I would call it racist. It does show his total ignorance of the situation in the Middle East, though.

I visited Israel a few decades ago. I have no desire to go there again. The place is miserable; military walking the streets in groups with automatic weapons, everything is the same color..brown, the people were sour and unsmiling.

I actually felt more comfortable with the Palistinians. They smiled, were helpful, sold GOOD food (unlike the Israeli food, which was dry and, you guessed it, brown) and they didn't try to get into my pants, which is all the Israeli guys tried to do.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 AM

441 posts, read 501,288 times
It isn't so much racist as it is incredibly stupid - on a par with visiting Britain and insulting them by claiming (to use a British term) they can't organize a ****-up in a brewery. Both David Cameron and Boris Johnson (who are Tories, for goodness sakes, and reliable American suck-ups) ended up putting him down in public.

Mitt the Twit, the British tabloids dubbed him. The nickname is well-earned. He'll never live it down.

Are the Republicans really SURE they want this guy to be their nominee? He makes Dubya look savvy! In fact, he's starting to make Sarah Palin look like a professional diplomat.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
I still prefer it to Obama's pandering and groveling tour with the boilerplate phrases such as 'The United States has no greater ally than <Insert country name here> and they are punching above their weight'.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Romney is either stupid or transparent. I suspect he is both. Romney is trying to get the Israelis to like him. He reminds me of a kid in grade school trying to be liked.

Last edited by jojajn; 07-30-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
It isn't so much racist as it is incredibly stupid - on a par with visiting Britain and insulting them by claiming (to use a British term) they can't organize a ****-up in a brewery. Both David Cameron and Boris Johnson (who are Tories, for goodness sakes, and reliable American suck-ups) ended up putting him down in public.

Mitt the Twit, the British tabloids dubbed him. The nickname is well-earned. He'll never live it down.

Are the Republicans really SURE they want this guy to be their nominee? He makes Dubya look savvy! In fact, he's starting to make Sarah Palin look like a professional diplomat.
I agree he would have been smart to leave out the stabs at Palesinians and stick to praising the Israelis. I just don't see the point in trying to point out the negatives in others, as there is nothing to gain. I don't think the Israelis like him any more or less when he trashed Palestinians. Like I said, - there is no gain, only loss. Poor diplomacy. He earned and is still earning the 'Mitt the Twit" and "American Borat" nicknames and he not even done yet. He is goint to poland tomorrow.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,455 times
Yes it was racist and a scum bag like comment. The reason the Palestinian people make much less is because they are to worried about being murdered in their concentration camp like existence in Gaza and West Bank.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
You all should come up with your own candy like Mentos.

You already have a good slogan

Liberalism, the mental disorder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.