Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You always are.
I dont think so. Remember the HC ruling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Amazing all the dumbasses that made Staples so successful which in turn drove local office product companies out of business. Who are these loathsome bottomfeeders always looking for the best deal to the detriment of their local businesses? How many liberal Obamabot voting leftists you think shop at Staples? Guess? Most of them and if not there Wal Mart.

So get in your 70's Ford and ride....
Guess you didn't know the American Way is about delivering more and better price, products, services and conveniences than existed before. Did you want to go back to the margins required to support a little grocery store for each little neighborhood, a local cobbler and tailor, a butcher shop, a creamery, or an office supply store? Lower prices, better service, wider selection...you must be a real democrat to not appreciate the good things that business improvements bring us. The supposition behind this thread is nonsense: progress should be abolished. No thanks.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,937,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Sorry, guys. I'm going to go where the best deal is for ME. I try to shop local, but they have to offer something that will benefit me. If they can't get me the best price, they need to be most convenient or have the best service.

I have a leftwing friend that HATES on Walmart all the time. But if I mention that I'm going, she asks me to pick things up for her. Win, win for her. Saves face with her self righteous lefty friends, AND gets the best deal. BTW - I always decline.
Americans shop at walmart because they have no choice. You shop there or go without. The reason to despise walmart is because its workforce is slave and child labor in China. Same with all other mall chain stores. Corporations get tax breaks for outsourcing jobs and anti-American repugs are obstructing democratic attempts to change that situation. I'm sure you are aware of that, unless you listen to Fox.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:28 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
What's laughable is the notion of Romney as a credible political candidate. Creeps like him who pay too little in taxes and spend their lives looking for ways to add to their already insane hoard of money are what is wrong with America.
"Creeps like him who pay too little in taxes"

Liberals can ALWAYS be counted on hurl juvenile insults.

Romney probably pays more in taxes then all the liberals here on C-D combined and that is still not enough for some.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Guess you didn't know the American Way is about delivering more and better price, products, services and conveniences than existed before. Did you want to go back to the margins required to support a little grocery store for each little neighborhood, a local cobbler and tailor, a butcher shop, a creamery, or an office supply store? Lower prices, better service, wider selection...you must be a real democrat to not appreciate the good things that business improvements bring us. The supposition behind this thread is nonsense: progress should be abolished. No thanks.
Uh did you not note the sarcasm in my post.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
What I think is supposed to happen?

I think people like Romney should pay a higher tax rate than I do. I think investment bankers are leeches who are aren't fit to wipe the boots of a fireman. I think that someone running for public office on his tax policies should release his tax returns. I think we need a country that treats ordinary working people fairly instead of insisting they subsidize the Romneys of this world.

That's why I'm not a Republican. That's what I think.
In other words you don't think people should be paid what their work is worth but, some imaginary figure YOU think is FAIR.

Hint, without investment bankers hundreds of thousands of jobs wouldn't exist.

There is nothing wrong with being a fireman or policeman etc, but that is the job they CHOSE.

Why do you even bring fireman up? It has nothing to do with anything.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Guess I was wrong.
For once, I agree with you!

Old 08-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Why? Because he thinks it is? Historically his kind has paid much higher tax rates than they do today. The economy grew and people's living standards went up during those times.

I'm not a greedy little man like he is. I understand that taxes are the price you pay for a civilized society. What a pity he wants our highest office yet sees no problem that so many Americans pay a lower tax rate than he does!

Oh no it isn't. He only got to make it because of things like infrastructure and the education of workers that others helped pay for. Republicans are complete liars when they imply otherwise.

I want really rich people to pay their fair share. As a Republican you want me to pay more so that Romney can pay less. Republicans have no problem with a handful of people earning so much money they can't even spend it. Worse with arguing that local teacher should pay more to make up the difference.

You guys are the ones who got us into two costly wars and then handed tax cuts to the really greedy. Romney pays a lower tax rate because he has enough money to bribe Republican pols into going along with that.

Tax rates should go up on the Romneys of the world. They serve no purpose at all other than to steal money from most workers and spend it on dancing horses.
"You guys are the ones who got us into two costly wars"

More ignorant ranting. The DEMS controlled the Senate. Tom Daschele (D) co-sponsored the bill authorizing the actions. The dem controlled Senate voted in favor of the spending.

But, you NEVER, EVER want to put blame them. Biased much?

"It is better to be thought of as a a fool then to open ones moth and remove all doubt"

Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No, but there was a lot of price gouging going on. I bought a carton of paper at the local store after learning the price was the same for the same paper at Staples, then 2 days later, the Staples price went through the floor, selling for less than half of the local.
As soon as they went out of biz, the same paper jumped up to a much higher price than the local store ever charged.

Staples could afford to do stuff like this. It's the same tactic WalMart used to kill off their local competition.

My local guy, who was a friend and had always treated all his customers well, certainly didn't find it laughable. His family had owned the biz for 2 generations. If I was temporarily short but needed something, I could count on him to provide it, and he knew I would pay him ASAP. I shop now at Staples, as I have no other choice, and don't get that kind of neighborly treatment from them. I also don't get any valuable advice for the kid who's behind the counter, as I often did from my local outfit.

And, without a doubt, I believe that the big Staples store could close up in the wink of an eye from a corporate decision. It's happened here before with the big box stores, and will happen again.

Is Romney to blame? Maybe, or maybe not. I don't know one way or the other. The big boxes are now a fact of life, but as a paradigm, they are more vulnerable this century than in the 20th. Romney was probably inadvertently smart to get out of Bain while the pickings were still good. I'm sure he didn't lose any sleep over it now matter what.
I get the same level of service from Staple's as you described fro your old local store..

How much did your local Mom & Pop store pay? What benefits did the provide?

The left is always whining about companies NOT paying benefits but fail to mention most Mom & Pop's provide very little if anything at all.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, I want the wealthy to pay more. They take more from society. It costs a lot more to protect Willard's 12 mil house than it does my far more modest abode. Willard's welcome to spend his money on a dancing horse. But if he's going to argue my taxes should subsidize his horsey then I get a say in the matter.

Poor picked on Mitt. He's running for president and the peons dare express their thoughts about his candidacy!
Please inform us of EXACLY which tax laws Romney uses that YOU don't like that allow him to PAY so little in taxes and WHO passed the law that he is using.

You don't vote rep because you don't like the tax laws Romney uses and you vote dem and don't even know who passed the tax laws Romney is using.

Did I get that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections