Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:39 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you don't want to discuss anything said in the link. Would there be a reason for that?
Of course... the truth hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:39 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The 47% comments will go down in political campaign history as the dumbest thing ever done by a candidate. It was AWFUL.
It was no worse than Obama's condescending remarks aimed at those who "cling to guns and religion," and he was still easily elected. These things wash off and any potential damage to Romney's campaign by his remarks will have largely vanished by the time the elections roll around.

The difference between Obama's and Romney's remarks? Romney's were caught on hidden camera at a fundraiser while Obama's were made from a podium in front of a crowd.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:41 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
It was no worse than Obama's condescending remarks aimed at those who "cling to guns and religion," and he was still easily elected. These things wash off and any potential damage to Romney's campaign by his remarks will have largely vanished by the time the elections roll around.

The difference between Obama's and Romney's remarks? Romney's were caught on hidden camera at a fundraiser while Obama's were made from a podium in front of a crowd.
Yes, the press had a field day with that "clinging to guns and religion" remark.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,637 times
Default Was Romney's 47% comment so really bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Here is an opportunity to read some thoughts from an Aussie who claims to have been an Obama supporter up to now. I don't know how he feels about The One now but it seems he disagrees with the Obama campaign a lot. He talks about a real Romney's words about bludges holding a lot of truth.

***Now I’ve always been an Obama fan (except his economic track record) and had little to go on whether I like Mitt Romney or not.

But these comments instil a much higher level of respect for Mr Romney and his bold honesty even if they were politically incorrect.

The critics (largely leftist journalists) in the US and Australia harshly target him for speaking the truth. Nevertheless, isn’t it true that people should be responsible and care for their lives?***

If you don't know what a bludge is do as I did and go to our friend, Google.

Is there some hard truth in Romney’s comments? | 21st Century News

Let's evaluate where his standing goes from where it was before his small-minded rant was revealed.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The problem is: I think I *know* what Romney meant. He just said it so poorly. He's correct that there are a certain segment of voters that will NEVER vote for Romney. He won't change their mind and he's not even going to try to reach those people. However, his stupidity lies on the 47% remark. The 47% that he was referring to, the ones with no tax liability for various reasons, are NOT the ones who may not vote for them. He basically called those 47% losers and slackers. Well, some of them are, but many of them are not.

There are some real losers who WILL be voting for Romney and who ARE a part of the 47% he was referring to. Just watch one of the Alexandra Pelosi videos on "Republican Voters" and you will see what I mean. (She also does the same service to Democratic voters so don't feel like you would be disloyal watching this).

Romney just came off as sounding very snobbish and uncaring and he had his facts wrong. Mostly though, a presidential candidate shouldn't be speaking of his potential "people" in that manner. I just don't see how YOU cannot see this.

Did he realy say it poorly? Look at who he was speaking to at the time. Im betting everyone in that room agreed with him.

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
IMO, while his statement about the 47% may have been true, many of those people are elderly who rely on SS and Medicare and traditionally vote Republican. He alienated a lot of people that might have otherwise voted for him with this comment.

There are many Democrats that are hard working and pay taxes that do not see themselves as victims. If any of them thought about voting for Romney as swing voters, he took care of that problem as well.

So, yes, I do think it was damaging to his campaign. It is not something you would recommend someone say when running for office.
Go ahead and read the link where the man talks about real truth being dealt with by the Dems and the media as something other than the truth.

Do you really think those hard working people who do not pay income taxes will all take those words hard? I believe that many of them will take the words as very true like we old people you hope will swing your direction. I saw nothing but truth in those words just as the author of the link you didn't read.

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Only 10% are.

That won't be many. Democrat voters are mostly low-income.
Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
10 % is 10%, and those aren't the only ones in the 47% that may have been likely Republican voters. He can't afford to lose even 3% at this point.

As far as income goes, it depends on where you live. What is considered middle and upper class here in So. Dak may be considered poverty or low income in other parts of the country. Same with many of the midwestern states.

Face it. That statement is going to cost him votes.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The 47% comments will go down in political campaign history as the dumbest thing ever done by a candidate. It was AWFUL.

He's going down for the second time and right now he needs a gigantic life preserver if he's going to save his campaign. Glub, glub, glub.
I thought that denying the ambassador was killed by terrorists was the worst thing a president could do. 2 weeks later and still no recognition of the "T" word.

I can't wait till the debates to see what happens.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:48 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
10 % is 10%, and those aren't the only ones in the 47% that may have been likely Republican voters. He can't afford to lose even 3% at this point.
Pretty doubtful there would be many Republican voters in that group. Low-income voters are mostly Democrat. I already posted the 2008 exit poll.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Damn folks, did nobody read my link? I was sure that someone would read it and come back with the writer's words about the social contract. I guess leaners who fail to read anything like that are all about the same and once they swing the subject to something else others who didn't read follow along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections