Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Damn folks, did nobody read my link? I was sure that someone would read it and come back with the writer's words about the social contract. I guess leaners who fail to read anything like that are all about the same and once they swing the subject to something else others who didn't read follow along.
They don't care. Just make darn sure you're still giving them their freebies. They're entitled, don't you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Here is an opportunity to read some thoughts from an Aussie who claims to have been an Obama supporter up to now. I don't know how he feels about The One now but it seems he disagrees with the Obama campaign a lot. He talks about a real Romney's words about bludges holding a lot of truth.

***Now I’ve always been an Obama fan (except his economic track record) and had little to go on whether I like Mitt Romney or not.

But these comments instil a much higher level of respect for Mr Romney and his bold honesty even if they were politically incorrect.

The critics (largely leftist journalists) in the US and Australia harshly target him for speaking the truth. Nevertheless, isn’t it true that people should be responsible and care for their lives?***

If you don't know what a bludge is do as I did and go to our friend, Google.

Is there some hard truth in Romney’s comments? | 21st Century News
Lol... you tell us

My Job - Obama for America TV Ad - YouTube

Here's why his comment is stupid: A LOT OF THAT 47% ARE FULL-TIME WORKERS.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I thought that denying the ambassador was killed by terrorists was the worst thing a president could do. 2 weeks later and still no recognition of the "T" word.

I can't wait till the debates to see what happens.
That's the the worst thing he could have done!?!?

What does it matter what he says about the Bengazi attacks, it won't bring back the four dead American nor will it bring those responsible to justice! Nor do you or I know what is going on behind closed doors! But I know this, while folks like yourself were complaining about Obama''s golf schedule, or appearing at the correspondent's dinner, birds where in the air and troops were on the ground taking out the principle responsible for the attacks of 9/11!

While I recognize that you long for the days of trash talking cowboys riding into the wrong address to avenge those attacks, putting in place an incompetent and corrupt "leader" in Kabul and Iran friendly former militiamen in Iraq. I prefer a President who let's his actions speak volumes about the power that he can wield - Twenty-two major terrorist leaders dead!

"Obama the Appeaser" yeah right.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Pretty doubtful there would be many Republican voters in that group. Low-income voters are mostly Democrat. I already posted the 2008 exit poll.
A great many people in So. Dak make under $75,000 a year and we have been a red state forever, just as most of the south is where the income is even lower than here. For you to imply that the 47% only vote democrat is idiocy.

And yes, I did read the link, but responded to the question that was asked in the thread title. Was the comment bad? According to your source, maybe not, but according to the polls, yes.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:12 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Gutfeld's Top 10 List for Obama

Interesting discussion on the 47% issue.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:14 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what ... who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them....I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives...These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax...."

I don't see how anyone could read these statements and not understand that Mitt committed political suicide writing off 47% of people like that---and especially since he based that 47% figure of a falsehood insulting a lot of hard working people, veterans, deployed military and the elderly who pay no taxes because of legal tax deductions. Then the next day when he was given an opportunity to walk it back he didn't. The only thing that Romney was honest about is his distaste for nearly half the population of the U.S.A.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
I guess you don't want to discuss anything said in the link. Would there be a reason for that?

Roy,

Get over it. *I* read the link. I think the guy sounds naive. Yes, I agree with a "social contract." However, you're taking at face value that Romney's comments were spot on, and they arent. Sure, that group of 47% contains some losers--some people who have no aspirations and don't care about a social contract. We know that. There's no denying it. I think, as I said upthread, that this is what Romney was getting at. However, he botched it. Badly. He overgeneralized and assumed that those in the 47%--all of them, would not be voting for him. He assumed that those in the 47% were all losers who do not work. He is wrong and he marginalized a whole segment of our population as losers. That shows he's not enlightened enough to know what people really do. Again, SURE, there's some bottom feeders in that group but to say what he said--geez. Guess what, my 21 year old daughter, a college student who made $5,968 last year is one of the 47%. She never paid federal income tax because her income is below the threshhold for paying federal tax. I don't happen to think she's a loser nor do I think she thinks she's entitled to something.

This is a matter of Romney not being "politically correct." He was just wrong.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 09-27-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 03:17 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what ... who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them....I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives...These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax...."

I don't see how anyone could read these statements and not understand that Mitt committed political suicide writing off 47% of people like that---and especially since he based that 47% figure of a falsehood insulting a lot of hard working people, veterans, deployed military and the elderly who pay no taxes because of legal tax deductions. Then the next day when he was given an opportunity to walk it back he doesn't. The only thing that Romney was honest about is his distaste for nearly half the population of the U.S.A.

Because those that do not understand his political "gaffe" are either:

1. So totally unobjective because of their hatred for the current president that they cannot see straight;
2. Have not concept of who pays taxes and who does not and why they don't pay taxes;
3. Are totally ignorant of the voting motivations of people.

There's plenty of "losers" in that 47% who will be voting for Romney. Again, all one has to do is view Alexandra Pelosi's clips on voters. Mitt insulted them but they are probably too dumb to know it.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The 47% comments will go down in political campaign history as the dumbest thing ever done by a candidate. It was AWFUL.

He's going down for the second time and right now he needs a gigantic life preserver if he's going to save his campaign. Glub, glub, glub.
Get real, an off handed comment like that is meaningless when compared to the actions, decisions, policies and words of Obama, and our pathetic economy, and out of control Mid East. How any rational person can compare the real life consequences of Obama's actions and policies, and the damage they have wrought, and say that is compares to a few words spoken by Romney during a campaign event, is beyond me.

Should we relate all the blunders from Obama's campaign in 2008, and 2012, and all his broken promises, and his utter failure to live up to any of his economic and foreign policy predictions, IF we elected him??

Old 09-27-2012, 03:22 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Because those they do not understand his political "gaffe" are either:

1. So totally unobjective because of their hatred for the current president that they cannot see straight;
2. Have not concept of who pays taxes and who does not and why they don't pay taxes;
3. Are totally ignorant of the voting motivations of people.

There's plenty of "losers" in that 47% who will be voting for Romney. Again, all one has to do is view Alexandra Pelosi's clips on voters. Mitt insulted them but they are probably too dumb to know it.
sorry, it's not about hatred for Obama, it acknowledging his utter and complete failure to lead this country, and his pathetic Obama Ville economy. And yes, about 47% of Americans are not paying any net income taxes, mostly because of the bad Obama economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections