Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Actually, what this proves is that Mormons are not monlithic in their views and approach to the world. If they were a monolitihic cult group thinking, acting, like progs like to shriek, then, of course they would have automatically endorsed Romney. Same could be said for the mindless drivel about Evangelicals not supporting Governor Romney, because he is not a C h r i s t i a n. Or that all conservatives are of a lesser gene pool. All any of those prove is that progressives are the monolithic, group thinkers, without an innate ability of discernment. That, or the progs who post here are just a bunch of sniveling trolls, without principle.

Now, find one, just one, African-American media outlet (web, broadcast, or print) that endorses Governor Romney, or even advocates that Blacks just not vote.
IIRC, there was a thread a while back about black pastors advising their members not to vote. I'm too lazy to do a search right now. Seek and ye shall find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
As has been noted many times, an endorsement means absolutely nothing when it comes to the election. It is just a good feeling for the person who gets the endorsement. Is it a shock to see a paper in Utah endorsing Obama? of course, but it still means very little. And, may I add one more thing: if those on the left do not think Obama or any other candidate has not either, actually filp flopped or changed their minds you have your head in the sand, the quick sand...Most of us, though our lives take different stands. I certainly know I have and yes, call it flip flopping..I support one think, then I decide I don't and then I decide I am on the fense. I call that reasoning and taking a mature look at issues.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,922,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As has been noted many times, an endorsement means absolutely nothing when it comes to the election. It is just a good feeling for the person who gets the endorsement. Is it a shock to see a paper in Utah endorsing Obama? of course, but it still means very little. And, may I add one more thing: if those on the left do not think Obama or any other candidate has not either, actually filp flopped or changed their minds you have your head in the sand, the quick sand...Most of us, though our lives take different stands. I certainly know I have and yes, call it flip flopping..I support one think, then I decide I don't and then I decide I am on the fense. I call that reasoning and taking a mature look at issues.
How often do you go through this process in less than 24 hours? Romney's campaign staff will sometimes flip flop on an issue while Romney is still talking.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,954,459 times
[quote=nmnita;26583546]As has been noted many times, an endorsement means absolutely nothing when it comes to the election. It is just a good feeling for the person who gets the endorsement. Is it a shock to see a paper in Utah endorsing Obama? of course, but it still means very little. And, may I add one more thing: if those on the left do not think Obama or any other candidate has not either, actually filp flopped or changed their minds you have your head in the sand, the quick sand...Most of us, though our lives take different stands. I certainly know I have and yes, call it flip flopping..I support one think, then I decide I don't and then I decide I am on the fense. I call that reasoning and taking a mature look at issues

Yes, but in the time it takes to get from one political rally to another? Huntsman called it accurately when he labeled Romney a well oiled weathervane.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:16 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,437,035 times
Half of the people in Salt Lake City aren't mormon,the Salt Lake Tribune was originally founded in the late 1800's by ex-mormons and for many years was Utahs un-official 'anti-mormon' newspaper.It was later bought by a U.S. senator,[who was a catholic],who turned it into a more balanced newspaper but while it hasn't been anti-mormon for many decades it has never been a voice of the church.For at least 15 years its been owned by a company in Colorado.

I don't have a problem with the newspaper,but it's silly for people to read too much into an endorsement just because a newspaper comes out of SLC........now if the 'Deseret News' endorses President Obama you will have something to get excited about...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,582 times
What kind of circulation does the SLT have in Nevada? Anyone know?

Old 10-19-2012, 03:27 PM

487 posts, read 383,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Interesting article. Quite surprising that the Tribune is not endorsing Romney.

Too many Mitts | The Salt Lake Tribune
Uh.. How is this surprising? The Tribune is a left leaning newspaper. Yes, believe it or not there are some liberal publications in Republican states.

In fact, the Tribune was founded to oppose the political and economic policies of the LDS church.

They also supported Obama in 2008.

In conclusion, this thread is pointless and a waste of time to read.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
It's just a paper, and many of them are liberal.

I try NOT to think about SLC and Utah, but one thing about their political history is the city's election of Deedee Corradini as mayor - a non-Mormon woman, and some publication or article said "the women of Salt Lake City can stand a foot taller today," as in, the "good ole boy" expectations of a Mormon male in that office had been set aside by the people.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Alright....hold up...back up the truck...let's think about this.

The state where Romney grew up has completely rejected him. He's not even contesting Michigan.

The state where he was governor for 4 years has rejected him (lowest approval rating of any Mass governor). He's not even contesting it.

Now the newspaper that serves the Mormon community in Utah has rejected him.

LOLOLOLOLOL
Now that is sad. Will the real Romney stand up.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Once again you need to do your research. Indeed, Barack Obama has changed positions on gay marriage multiple times throughout his career. And your claim that he doesn't "flop back based on the political winds" is the funniest thing i've read all day. This President is the KING of tailoring his position based on the political filter inside of his head. NOTHING...and I mean NOTHING.....comes from his mouth without some sort of political consideration attached.

I'd be curious to know how old you are? Rhetorical question....don't answer....but you seem to be devoid of much experience in the political analysis arena.
Romney changes where he stands on things almost daily. If he gets misunderstood his camp has to let us know what he was trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections