Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times

Advertisements

A "group'; like a group of Black pastors, does not equate to a media outlet. See the difference and the point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
IIRC, there was a thread a while back about black pastors advising their members not to vote. I'm too lazy to do a search right now. Seek and ye shall find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:07 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,644,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
This is totally spot in, the Article, as to why, I've lost a lot of respect for Romney. If he wins (yuk) and moves back towards the center, like a Snowe, or the way he more or less was in MA, than I can sleep a little easier at night. The pick of Paul Ryan though, tells me, that is very unlikely.
So you prefer the communist? You kids will love you for destroying their future...

Old 10-19-2012, 04:07 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
It takes some critical thinking to get the point. Come back after you think about what media outlet; as in print, press, tv, or web, that is Black owned and operated, have endorsed Romney, McCain, or for that matter any congressional, state or local candidate who is not Black and is running against a Black candidate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Awww, you're so cute when you get all flustered and stuff.

They are in total denial. It's the weirdest phenomenon.

Absolutely agree. The Ryan pick states loud and clear that centrist is not what's going to happen.

Ummm, wot?

Scary.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,575,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
Uh.. How is this surprising? The Tribune is a left leaning newspaper. Yes, believe it or not there are some liberal publications in Republican states.

In fact, the Tribune was founded to oppose the political and economic policies of the LDS church.

They also supported Obama in 2008.

In conclusion, this thread is pointless and a waste of time to read.
In conclusion your post is utter carp.

The Tribune was first published under the name "Salt Lake Daily Tribune and Utah Mining Gazette", with its first issue on April 15, 1871, having this notice:

Quote:
"Our Programme: The Daily Tribune will be a purely secular journal devoted entirely to the presentation of News and to the development of the Mining and Commercial interests of the Territory. It will have no sectarian bias and will be the organ of no religious body whatever. The aim of the publishers will be to make it a Newspaper in every sense of the word." rom this beginning, the Tribune has grown into the largest newspaper in Utah today.
http://digitalnewspapers.org/public/...%20Tribune.pdf

Quote:
In 1901 newly-elected Roman Catholic United States Senator Thomas Kearns, and his business partner David Keith, secretly bought the Tribune. Kearns made strides to eliminate the paper's anti-Mormon overtones, and succeeded in maintaining good relationships with the mostly-LDS state legislature which had elected him to the Senate. Upon Keith's death in 1918 the Kearns family bought out Keith's share of the Salt Lake Tribune Publishing Company.
The Salt Lake Tribune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
Quote:
Interesting article. Quite surprising that the Tribune is not endorsing Romney.

Too many Mitts | The Salt Lake Tribune

There is nothing at all suprising about this. The paper is owned by
MediaNews Group, a very left leaning newspaper conglomerate and it has nothing at all to do with the LDS church or it's members.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
In conclusion your post is utter carp.

The Tribune was first published under the name "Salt Lake Daily Tribune and Utah Mining Gazette", with its first issue on April 15, 1871, having this notice:

http://digitalnewspapers.org/public/...%20Tribune.pdf

The Salt Lake Tribune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your post is what is utter crap, the paper is not owned by the Kearns family any longer, it is owned by the extremely left leaning conglomerate MediaNews Group.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,957,777 times
Well this is amazing. To be fair, Romney has a huge following among the rank and file mormons in Utah, he has a big lead in Utah. However, it seems the newspaper knows him better than most mormons know him. It has been reported that huntsman and romney could not stand each other and he knew him pretty well. Maybe it is just to know him is to not like him.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As has been noted many times, an endorsement means absolutely nothing when it comes to the election. It is just a good feeling for the person who gets the endorsement. Is it a shock to see a paper in Utah endorsing Obama? of course, but it still means very little. And, may I add one more thing: if those on the left do not think Obama or any other candidate has not either, actually filp flopped or changed their minds you have your head in the sand, the quick sand...Most of us, though our lives take different stands. I certainly know I have and yes, call it flip flopping..I support one think, then I decide I don't and then I decide I am on the fense. I call that reasoning and taking a mature look at issues.

It is not a shock for this particular paper to endorse Obama, it is expected.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well this is amazing. To be fair, Romney has a huge following among the rank and file mormons in Utah, he has a big lead in Utah. However, it seems the newspaper knows him better than most mormons know him. It has been reported that huntsman and romney could not stand each other and he knew him pretty well. Maybe it is just to know him is to not like him.

This paper is a left leaning paper owned by a very left leaning company. I would imagine Huntsman knows Mitt, since they are cousins...lol. Sheesh!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 726 times
The Salt Lake Tribune has always been liberal since it was bought by out of state anti-Mormons in 1873. Check Wikipedia's page on them. They nearly always endorse Democrats. They endorsed Obama in 08 and Clinton both terms. They are the paper for non-Mormons and liberals in SLC. The conservative paper in SLC is the Deseret News. That the left is trying to jump on this as propaganda is laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections