Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
But maybe they will in the future for sale in that country. Seems the Chinese love American made autos and suv's.
Hard to predict the future but Romney was insisting that Chrysler/Fiat were going to be shipping Jeep production to China, thats news to the CEO who in his rebuttal letter shows the exact opposite is true for the company for the forseeable future..
Does this sound like a company about to move production of its Jeep model to China?
Chrysler Blog - Message From Sergio Marchionne Regarding Jeep Production
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hard to predict the future but Romney was insisting that Chrysler/Fiat were going to be shipping Jeep production to China, thats news to the CEO who in his rebuttal letter shows the exact opposite is true for the company for the forseeable future..
Does this sound like a company about to move production of its Jeep model to China?
Well, willard is wrong. He is also attempting (feebley) to say the bailout of US automakers was a failure.
After his gaffe about wanting to allow the auto industry to fail, I don't see how any voter in their right mind would cast a vote his way. It's like he wanted the industry to fail.

It is hard to predict the future. The CEO says he will not move any manufacturing to china, but if there becomes a heavy demand for the jeep brand, who knows how $$$$$ signs might affect his clear thinking attitude?

As I understand it, china levees heavy tariffs on American made automobiles shipped to them.
We should use the same practice for their junk entering our country as well.
I can't see into the future, but we may be on the verge of a global trade war with china. It'll be a tit for tat thing I predict.

I own a jeep, and was shocked and amazed at the cheap quality of materials used to make it.
I later found out that only about 70 some % of jeeps are made in the USA. And that is the case with most cars made in the USA.

I am guessing that for automakers to claim a car is made in America, a certain percentage of it's parts must come from US manufacturers, and it must have been assembled in the USA.

I had to chuckle when I heard willard state he was going to get tough on china, it's as if he want's a global trade war. The only losers for something like that would be the consumer.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:55 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Well, willard is wrong. He is also attempting (feebley) to say the bailout of US automakers was a failure.
After his gaffe about wanting to allow the auto industry to fail, I don't see how any voter in their right mind would cast a vote his way. It's like he wanted the industry to fail.

---------------------------
Don't know why nobody is mentioning this.
A) What does Bain Capital do? It buys up distressed, bankrupted companies and "harvests" them.
B) Romney calls for putting the huge auto industry into bankruptcy.
Doesn't this suggest anything? A huge industry ready for "harvest" - Enough to keep Bain busy for years.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 11-01-2012 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: reword

Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Don't know why nobody is mentioning this.
A) What does Bain Capital do? It buys up distressed, bankrupted companies and "harvests" them.
B) Romney calls for putting the huge auto industry into bankruptcy.
Doesn't this suggest anything? A huge industry ready for "harvest" - Enough to keep Bain busy for years.
I was going to mention Bain, but I refrained because I didn't want barbs thrown at me, thanks for the mention of that nice corporation!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
My understanding it's that jeeps sold in china are currently made in the US. They are going to build a factory in china to now supply that country. So yes, US jobs will be lost since production will decrease at the US plant.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
My understanding it's that jeeps sold in china are currently made in the US. They are going to build a factory in china to now supply that country. So yes, US jobs will be lost since production will decrease at the US plant.
Nope, not gonna happen right now.
please read:

Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
The last paragraph says they will open production in china.

Together, we are working to establish a global enterprise and previously announced our intent to return Jeep production to China, the world’s largest auto market, in order to satisfy local market demand, which would not otherwise be accessible. Chrysler Group is interested in expanding the customer base for our award-winning Jeep vehicles, which can only be done by establishing local production. This will ultimately help bolster the Jeep brand, and solidify the resilience of U.S. jobs.
Jeep is one of our truly global brands with uniquely American roots. This will never change. So much so that we committed that the iconic Wrangler nameplate, currently produced in our Toledo, Ohio plant, will never see full production outside the United States.

It says they want to be global. They previously announced intent to go to china. They need to establish local (meaning chinese) production.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
The last paragraph says they will open production in china.

Together, we are working to establish a global enterprise and previously announced our intent to return Jeep production to China, the world’s largest auto market, in order to satisfy local market demand, which would not otherwise be accessible. Chrysler Group is interested in expanding the customer base for our award-winning Jeep vehicles, which can only be done by establishing local production. This will ultimately help bolster the Jeep brand, and solidify the resilience of U.S. jobs.
Jeep is one of our truly global brands with uniquely American roots. This will never change. So much so that we committed that the iconic Wrangler nameplate, currently produced in our Toledo, Ohio plant, will never see full production outside the United States.

It says they want to be global. They previously announced intent to go to china. They need to establish local (meaning chinese) production.
We'll see what they do.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Let's be a bit real - the auto industry honchos are a big part of the Wall Street circle, and never were a bunch of liberal democrats. Yes they were helped out by a loan with strings attached from Obama, but the corporate bottom line is still their main interest.
Are they appreciative? Hard to say. What will they do in the future? Who knows! I suspect just business as usual, and that "bailout" will probably be forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections