Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 AM

6,760 posts, read 11,663,987 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm mistaken, but don't most of the "polls" that are touted regularly on tv take place by phone calls placed on landlines?

I saw where someone was saying that RP's numbers in those polls don't do as well as they do in all the other polls because he has a younger support base, and younger people tend to not hang out at home by landlines. They are more mobile in life, and are much more likely to not even have a landline.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 12:00 PM

41,458 posts, read 60,014,463 times
Out on a limb prediction - Fanfare, trumpets, bells, whistles

THE NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY WILL BE WON BY:

BILL RICHARDSON FOR THE DEMS
and
RON PAUL FOR THE REPUBLICANS

The current leadership of both parties will have a collective fit.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 PM

6,760 posts, read 11,663,987 times
I hope you are right.

Why is it the most straight talking and interesting candidates on both sides are the ones that are out of the spotlight?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:55 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,237,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I hope you are right.

Why is it the most straight talking and interesting candidates on both sides are the ones that are out of the spotlight?
Because those are the ones that are most in tune with main street America. The same reason that nearly ever sector of the American population wants better border control and immigration enforcement and yet government ignores them.

As to the whole issue of polls, I suspect Ron Paul will do much better than any polling sites are showing but as to if it would be great enough to get him nominated to anything is anyones guess. Most importantly is that this election cycle will bring to light how the media influences peoples opinions when selecting a candidate. If national polls show Ron Paul at 2% and it turns out 10-15% or greater percent at the primaries, then you can pretty much toss the credibility of those scientific polls.

As stated, a great many and growing number of people use cell phone service as their primary home phone now and most polls don't include cell numbers. Also, a growing number of people of all ages are turning to the internet to get their news and information as all one has to do is look at the declining readership of print media today.

Will be interesting to say the least.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:20 PM

640 posts, read 464,117 times
Ron Paul (R) is far and away the most popular candidate on the Internet. And that's where so much of the younger vote is. He's the #1 most searched for term, he has more hits than Hillary or Osama. His videos are the most-watched on YouTube. And Digg.Com is full of articles and comments about him. He's actually a front-runner when you collectively add in his Internet popularity.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:37 PM

396 posts, read 1,438,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Ron Paul (R) is far and away the most popular candidate on the Internet. And that's where so much of the younger vote is. He's the #1 most searched for term, he has more hits than Hillary or Osama. His videos are the most-watched on YouTube. And Digg.Com is full of articles and comments about him. He's actually a front-runner when you collectively add in his Internet popularity.
I wonder how/if that will translate into real votes for him.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:54 PM

640 posts, read 464,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
I wonder how/if that will translate into real votes for him.
We'll see ~ hopefully, our younger generation will go out and actually see and USE a voting machine He could take away quite a few votes from HillBill...

Old 11-02-2007, 04:18 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,684,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I know this sounds cynical, but I think it's because most Americans want easy answers and comfy soundbites. And that's what the so-called mainstream candidates serve up. Terrorist attack? Let's go bomb something. Illegal immigrants? Build a big fence. Forget about getting to the root of these problems, the way Paul and Kucinich and others like them would have us do. They get people out of their comfort zones by forcing them to really confront the issues and do something constructive about them. That's too upsetting or too scary for a lot of people. Others are just too lazy and don't want to have to make an effort to help improve things. It's easier to vote for some empty suit who spouts feel-good platitudes and promises to ban something or create a new program or tax something to make everything better. Or, better yet, just scream "terrorism" and paralyze everbody with fear, until you have them willingly handing over their civil rights and Constitutional liberties in exchange for some vague promise of security and (ironically) protecting freedom.

My $0.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections