Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:22 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

I see the hater is back. Can't discuss anything without hurling insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Good question. Republicans really should have won this last election. It really IS the economy stupid.

It's going to be interesting - again!
Republicans can't use the economy in 2016, because, by then, Obama will have brought us all the way back from the Bush Depression:

Rising economy shifts 2014 election landscape - Ben White - POLITICO.com

Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhoggur View Post
If Republicans are my only choice then I'll have no choice to vote R because I WILL NOT vote democrat no matter what.

But Rand Paul will likely run as a Libertarian so I'll likely toss him my vote.
Rand paul is a Republican, why would he run as a libertarian?

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
In a word: NO.

That's all.

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Condelezza Rice is never going to be the conservative party nominee. Ms. Rice is a neo con when it comes to military intervention, but her other political stances are not very conservative. conservatives would reject Ms. Rice for a plethora of reasons.
I agree that Ms. Rice would never make it through the primary process, except that's not the point.

The point is, which tickets would be interesting to talk about? I think Rubio/Rice vs. Joe Biden/Andrew Cuomo (all mentioned as potential candidates by main-stream media) would be an awesome race because it would destroy so many stereotypes. The fact that I give it a 0.01% chance of happening doesn't matter.

If you think a Hillary Clinton/Jill Biden ticket would be interesting, then talk about it. Or Bachman/Palin vs. Feinstein/Boxer. Yes, I know they'd never nominate two senators from the same state to be P and VP, and the chances of a 4-female race are approximately zero... but wouldn't that be an interesting race? The extremists on both sides would be foaming at the mouth, and John Stewart would have a heart attack from pure joy!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I agree that Ms. Rice would never make it through the primary process, except that's not the point.

The point is, which tickets would be interesting to talk about? I think Rubio/Rice vs. Joe Biden/Andrew Cuomo (all mentioned as potential candidates by main-stream media) would be an awesome race because it would destroy so many stereotypes. The fact that I give it a 0.01% chance of happening doesn't matter.

If you think a Hillary Clinton/Jill Biden ticket would be interesting, then talk about it. Or Bachman/Palin vs. Feinstein/Boxer. Yes, I know they'd never nominate two senators from the same state to be P and VP, and the chances of a 4-female race are approximately zero... but wouldn't that be an interesting race? The extremists on both sides would be foaming at the mouth, and John Stewart would have a heart attack from pure joy!
I have no idea who'll be on the ticket for either party in 4 years, and to be honest, I wouldn't be excited by Mrs. Clinton if she were the nominee, or Joe Biden.

I'd want someone much more liberal or at least much more liberal on economic issues and military intervention. I don't know who that would be, though off the top of my head Elizabeth Warren comes to mind.

For a running mate, I don't know.

On the conservative side, none of the candidates that have been mentioned interest me in the least.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Republicans can't use the economy in 2016, because, by then, Obama will have brought us all the way back from the Bush Depression
And for that reason alone there should be an allowance for President Obama to stay on for a third term. A valid argument is that in his first term all he could do was clean up the mess. Of course he would have to win another election, but that would be the easy part.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Christie

If Romney can talk his wife into it, he could be back, too.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:00 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Just looking at the GOP side -

I like Paul Ryan a lot, and I was excited when Romney picked him, but he didn't blow me away debating Biden and he didn't impress me on the campaign trail. I suspect there is not a lot of interest among the GOP money-men to finance Ryan again.

I love Condoleeza Rice, and there is growing speculation about her in 2016. Her pro-choice stance will be a problem for some people as will her involvement in the Bush administration. Unfortunately, there will also be the perception that the GOP is just trying to find a black candidate. On the other hand she's very smart, gives a great stump speech, has tons more experience than Obama ever did or will have, is a known commodity and well-liked by the upper echelons of the GOP.

I don't know how interested Chris Christie is in the GOP nod, and he'll have a battle on his hands in the primaries as being too close to Obama and a RINO. But he's a ferocious competitor, a formidable debator, but he's also pragmatic, a centrist, easily reaches across party lines and IMO he'll have a strong appeal to independents and even Democrats.

I know there is a built-in Santorum fanbase out there, but it's limited, and while he might win a primary or two but he doesn't have a chance of being president.

I like Rubio but he needs more seasoning. His brush with the Gang of Eight shows he's not ready for the big time yet.

Jindal, Cruz and Rand Paul are all interesting, but for now, IMO, I don't see them moving onto a larger national stage.

So - for 2016 - I predict either Christie/Rice, or Rice/Christie

Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Vice President Biden is finished.

He knows he can't win his party's nomination let alone win if he somehow did, and there is no way that he going to run for vice president again.

He is done.

Maybe he can go buy a 7-11 in Delaware and hire people with Indian accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections