Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times

Advertisements

Is "Rafi" the kind of person who can bring people together? I ask, because in the past his actions have been very partisan and divisive. In this area Jeb Bush is much better off, and so is Huckabee.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:18 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There's 32+/- Republicans currently vying for 2016.

Cruz relied heavily on Sarah Palin to secure the nomination for the Senate and there's grassroots support for a Cruz/ Palin 2016 ticket.
Lol! As if the race wasn't already a carnival of fools and clowns.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:24 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,305,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Ugh, im asking you to tell me why I should vote for him, are you a lefty source
also, neither Forbes or WSJ are leftist sources, both of those publications favor the Right wing considerably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Both Forbes and WSJ are left leaning sources. Its difficult to locate reputable sources that report without bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Forbes and WSJ are not left leaning sources. You have to be almost pretty much completely ignorant about news sources in this country to even suggest that.
While the WSJ Editorial Board may be conservative in nature, the editorial pages are the only place you'll see a right of center opinion. The news pages of the WSJ are leftist and not just leftist, but leftist elite.

Forbes is a bit more complicated. Clearly Steve Forbes is a conservative, but Forbes has a lot of very liberal columnists and contributors. I'd mark it near the center as any publication in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You are a lost cause.... Your 20% of the population as your base, is not the target market.

The conservative independents(Tea Party) is where Ted will focus his pull. As A Republican, he already has the Republican base. He needs the Tea Party to win the election. Something Romney didn't get.
It was not the tea party movement people who stayed on the sidelines in 2012 it was Christian evangelicals who could not bring themselves to vote for a Mormon for president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Crus ain't "Hispanic" or "Latin American"; he's actually a Canadian with ain't a part of LatAm. That'd be saying a French person of Spanish family born in France is Hispanic. Nope.
As others have pointed out, by that standard there would be no hyphenated Americans starting with the "African" American community.

As to Cruz, his father was a Cuban his mother an American and they were living temporarily in Canada where his parents were working. His father's residency had been in the U.S. prior to working in Canada, but was still what you would call a Cuban American. I am fine if the left wants to stop referring to people by their heritage, but it ought to be across the board, not when it is convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugg Mann View Post
I find it highly symbolic that the OP, an obvious Cruz supporter, could not spell their thread title correctly.

Cruz is a special type of extremist fringe candidate and will not be one of the last three GOP candidates standing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I really hope Cruz wins the primaries, it would be nice to see him crushed by Hilary even if I don't like her all that much, but she's still leagues above this fool.
Quote:
I don't see a Conservative voting for a Progressive RINO(Jeb Bush).
I don't see a Republican, voting for a Democrat, if the establishment guy doesn't make it to the show. The Base(both parties) are going to vote. That is a given fact. They don't stay home. They are hardcore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
A Wolf in sheep's clothes is an idiom that is used of those playing a role contrary to their real character, with whom contact is dangerous. Cruz is trying to make it look that he is for the constitution but he is not. He claims he's for personal liberty but his recent track record proves that isn't the case as he's not for equal rights and one's ability to make decisions for oneself Ted Cruz Moves to Block DC Laws on Gay Rights, Abortion How can someone who is for the constitution think that you shouldn't follow the 14th amendment?

I turned on FNC to see what they have to say about Cruz. Right now they are talking about the Yemen pull-out the same as CNN has talked about the entire hour right now. I'll let you know how they are portraying Cruz when it gets shown.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
I don't see you as middle of the road. You are a lost vote that will never go to anyone with an R by their name. No matter what. Your not the market, that is to be targeted. That would be wasted effort and resources. In other words. A bad business decision.
If that is the case, why did I vote for McCain for President and whoever the Republican Representative candidate was in 2008 (I don't recall the name nor remember the district); and Romney for President, Flake for Senator and Gosar for Representative in 2012? GIVE ME A BREAK! As I mentioned, I only didn't vote for Gosar in 2014 to express my dislike for the incumbents in Washington.

The fact is the Republicans need a big base to win. Having a small tent like they did in 1964 hurt them a lot. 400+ electoral votes and 22% win in the popular vote. Catering to the far right and far right alone is truly a bad business decision because that will be a wasted effort and wasted resources, not trying to get the big base they need to win. It only worked in 1980 because Reagan wasn't a Goldwater conservative and instead a religious conservative. Cruz is more of a Goldwater conservative with objections to abortion and gay marriage.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:30 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times
Quote:
Cruz is refreshing if you think that a President shouldn't be a compromiser in chief.
"I won." — President Barack Obama.

Quote:
I don't care if the guy is smart, the smartest guy don't win elections, the person who is the best fit wins.
Was Obama the "best fit?" Did people vote for him because he was the "best fit," or because he was to be "the first black President?" Don't be naive.

Obama has proven to be incompetent, and an utter failure. He wasn't the "best fit" by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote:
This is why most presidents have won their election. Not all were the smartest Presidential candidate. Clinton was a common sense idiot and W. Bush was a buffoon. Remember, W. Bush BEAT Gore.
Didn't you just contradict your former statement?

Quote:
The main problem with Cruz is he claims he is for the Constitution but don't believe that we should all have equal rights.
Really? Example please? I think that opinion is based on Left-wing propaganda and rhetoric.

Quote:
He is pro-DOMA, meaning you can't be legally married (as oppose to religious marriage) if you are gay which means gays cannot have equal rights (despite the 14th amendment making that unconstitutional.)
How did I know that's what was coming. Pure Left-wing ("gay") rhetoric based on nothing but opinion and denial of millennia of human tradition and belief holding that marriage is a sacred bond between one man and one woman.

Marriage is not a "right" granted by the Constitution (in fact there is no mention of marriage anywhere in the Constitution), and therefore does not fall under the 14th Amendment's "equal protection" clause.

Quote:
You can't just choose the parts of the Constitution you want to follow IF you are going to be for following the Constitution.
So, again, where is marriage mentioned in the Constitution?

Quote:
To update, it's been 40 minutes and NO Cruz talk on FNC yet. He will however be on Hannity tonight at 10 PM.
Meaning ... what? Actually, his announcement has been covered on Fox, including the full speech. Sorry you missed it.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:31 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,847,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It was not the tea party movement people who stayed on the sidelines in 2012 it was Christian evangelicals who could not bring themselves to vote for a Mormon for president.
That wasn't the case. He was viewed as a subversive, progressive Republican. That is why he lost the election. Many view Jeb Bush in the same vein.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Cruz believes in equal rights under the Constitution, he just doesn't agree that one group gets to redefine the "definition" of marriage.
But with that it isn't equal rights. If gays cannot marry, guess what they can't file taxes jointly, get under healthcare plans or have hospital visitation. There's medical power of attorney but that don't allow for file jointly. That isn't equal rights.

FYI, Fox said that Ted Cruz jumped into the third slot on the Republican Candidate Power Rankings passing Rubio. Jeb and Walker being the other two. They also brought up that Cruz's announcement was similar to his CPAC and RNC speeches so I'd say they are mostly being fair to him.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,325,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Is "Rafi" the kind of person who can bring people together? I ask, because in the past his actions have been very partisan and divisive. In this area Jeb Bush is much better off, and so is Huckabee.
Jeb Bush isn't a conservative, he is a "Progressive," who is for Amnesty, believes in "Common Core" (among other things) and is basically a RINO.

Huckabee, if he even runs, would be an extremely long shot. Cruz has a much better chance than Huckabee.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Together?

The goal is to drive the progressive cancer on liberty, out of the nation.
Get back to the founding principles of self reliance.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,847,153 times
Quote:
But with that it isn't equal rights. If gays cannot marry, guess what they can't file taxes jointly, get under healthcare plans or have hospital visitation. There's medical power of attorney but that don't allow for file jointly. That isn't equal rights.
Defining marriage as between one man and one woman is going to be devisive.

Quote:
FYI, Fox said that Ted Cruz jumped into the third slot on the Republican Candidate Power Rankings passing Rubio. Jeb and Walker being the other two. They also brought up that Cruz's announcement was similar to his CPAC and RNC speeches so I'd say they are mostly being fair to him.
Yes, I saw that. Not everyone is out yet, so we will continue to watch and see how Fox handles the Republican primary. I don't trust them after the Romney thing. During primaries, questions were all geared toward Romney being the nominee. They were blatantly biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections